P1000 Honda Introduces Pioneer 1000 Limited Edition (LE) Models with I-4WD

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey, they stole my net over the storage compartment ideal!!! Thiefs they are. I knew I should have got a patent on it...LOL
I think they saw my picture I posted here and stole it!!! (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

But nothing about the "ole water in the engine issue" huh? Shaking my head they completely redesigned this thing and didn't address the air intake?

The only change that I can truly appreciate living in the mountains and probably being the the one who complained the most about a lack of emergency break while being on an incline dumpimg rock, is the hill assist.

I can see that as a major improvement, but still don't understand why they just don't add a dang emergency / parking brake?

I'm interested to see how this new four-wheel-drive system does in the real world that's for sure.

Overall I am very glad that they are making some changes but it still appears to me that once again they are so focused on newer and better ground breaking technology they are just completely missing the boat on some every day, easy to add basic ideas.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
"In the literature posted it says "high under the hood" "

I want to say that is how it was worded for our 2016s as well. I could have swore I've read that before back when I was buying mine. And I know that is the exact words my dealer used when he was giving me the walk around after purchase. It may be a true statement but it is a stretch. "High" compared to what? and the only thing under the hood is the access to the pre-filter cube.

Now that I have thoroughly read instead of a fast glance every post, I am almost positive that the "high under the hood" means that there has NOT been a change to its location.

I definitely remember when I was originally researching the 1000 and reading reviews coming across that term many many times and how it was very innovative that Honda had located it " high under the hood"

I would be extremely shocked to see any change there at all.

Michigander

Michigander

Nov 13, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I was waiting for the last 3 months for the 2017 announcement before buying mine. I got impatient and bought my 1000-5 deluxe last week when they dropped in price here.

I am very glad I got the 2016 now after reading they failed to address my only concerns. And I'm glad I get to lock my different as needed manually, I actually wouldn't buy a Honda that I couldn't like the LE

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well I was waiting for the last 3 months for the 2017 announcement before buying mine. I got impatient and bought my 1000-5 deluxe last week when they dropped in price here.

I am very glad I got the 2016 now after reading they failed to address my only concerns. And I'm glad I get to lock my different as needed manually, I actually wouldn't buy a Honda that I couldn't like the LE

I may be mistaking, but I believe the LE models have the I-4WD. That would lead me to believe that non-LE models would have the 2016 set-up with diff-lock. Please correct me if I'm wrongo_O

Michigander

Michigander

Nov 13, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may be mistaking, but I believe the LE models have the I-4WD. That would lead me to believe that non-LE models would have the 2016 set-up with diff-lock. Please correct me if I'm wrongo_O
I have not seen them say anything about a standard model for 2017. I may have missed it but I was thinking they were just releasing these LE'S for 2017. I have been way off in the past thiugh and don't spend as much time online as some looking for it.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have not seen them say anything about a standard model for 2017. I may have missed it but I was thinking they were just releasing these LE'S for 2017. I have been way off in the past thiugh and don't spend as much time online as some looking for it.

@Hondasxs posted this...
IMG 5637
It shows all models including LE

Reactions: Michigander
Michigander

Michigander

Nov 13, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool. I have not seen the specs for the 2017 deluxe. Where they at? I'm new round here and navigating tapatalk don't seem to show me each thread

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Cool. I have not seen the specs for the 2017 deluxe. Where they at? I'm new round here and navigating tapatalk don't seem to show me each thread

Its under a thread titled "breakdown 2017...

Reactions: Michigander
Michigander

Michigander

Nov 13, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see it now in this thread... it was updated since I read it originally. I'm still glad I saved the money with the 2016 deluxe. Thicker seat and trans. Memory are the least of my worries. I would of rather seen them reroute the intake and beef up the clutch.

Reactions: JTW and Eltobgi
Michigander

Michigander

Nov 13, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do the standard models come with the Fox shocks? That is something I'd be interested in

advertisement
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Hey, they stole my net over the storage compartment ideal!!! Thiefs they are.

So you say this in jest maybe?
Honda has a long history of using netting for storage.
The Pioneer 700 has an accessory dash storage unit that has nets.
Upload 2016 11 20 22 53 38

The 1999 Honda Insight had a storage pocket with a net on the front.
So basically you want us to believe you invented something that is common knowledge?

If you do get that patent let me know who your patent attorney is.
My be I can 'invent' the gas pedal and get a patent on that.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So you say this in jest maybe?
Honda has a long history of using netting for storage.
The Pioneer 700 has an accessory dash storage unit that has nets.
View attachment 26972
The 1999 Honda Insight had a storage pocket with a net on the front.
So basically you want us to believe you invented something that is common knowledge?

If you do get that patent let me know who your patent attorney is.
My be I can 'invent' the gas pedal and get a patent on that.

But of course it was humor!

Reactions: JTW
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Curious what everyone thinks of the MSRP price jump from a 2016 1000-5 Deluxe at $17,199 to the 2017 1000-5 LE at $21,599 that is a jump of $4,400. The changes, features of the LE compared to 2016 P1K5D if I recall correctly are:
I4WD
Fox QS3 Shocks
More in cab storage on dash
Illuminated switches, with hill start assist
Automotive painted plastic
Deluxe Front Bumper
Aluminum skid plate (still leaves sides exposed)
Front aluminum A arm guards
Rear aluminum A arm guards
Thicker seat foam
Storage under driver seat
Winch wiring harness

I'll be honest that's about $1600 more for the LE than I expected it to list for, especially since to properly protect the undercarriage you will have to spend another $1K on full UHMW skidplates.

I get why Honda added several items they did, namely the deluxe front bumper, winch wiring harness, aluminum skids and a arms as many who did opt to get a front bumper went with another companies offering, same for a $280 winch wiring harness that comes with 4500# winches all for $250 total vs. $800+ going Hondas route, and the aluminum skids - who would buy them knowingly that they cover only the same area as OEM when full UHMW skids offer far more protection and benefits for the same price. It seems they just emptied the stock shelf of accessories that didn't sell well and threw them on.

On a more positive note, the Fox shocks, hill start assist, added storage, and I4WD which also likely ( and silently) addressed the underlying 2016 clutch shortcomings are worth it. The paint may offer more scratch resistance, but where I ride will still probably not hold up, just have to wait and see on that. I am optimistic, but not sold on the MSRP jump completely.

What is everyone else's thoughts?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think it's too much. The shocks add a lot of value for me but seems like a lot extra for the lazy lever though. The skids and a-arm guards would get replaced with better stuff anyways. Even happier with my 16 when I heard that this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Curious what everyone thinks of the MSRP price jump from a 2016 1000-5 Deluxe at $17,199 to the 2017 1000-5 LE at $21,599 that is a jump of $4,400. The changes, features of the LE compared to 2016 P1K5D if I recall correctly are:
I4WD
Fox QS3 Shocks
More in cab storage on dash
Illuminated switches, with hill start assist
Automotive painted plastic
Deluxe Front Bumper
Aluminum skid plate (still leaves sides exposed)
Front aluminum A arm guards
Rear aluminum A arm guards
Thicker seat foam
Storage under driver seat
Winch wiring harness

I'll be honest that's about $1600 more for the LE than I expected it to list for, especially since to properly protect the undercarriage you will have to spend another $1K on full UHMW skidplates.

I get why Honda added several items they did, namely the deluxe front bumper, winch wiring harness, aluminum skids and a arms as many who did opt to get a front bumper went with another companies offering, same for a $280 winch wiring harness that comes with 4500# winches all for $250 total vs. $800+ going Hondas route, and the aluminum skids - who would buy them knowingly that they cover only the same area as OEM when full UHMW skids offer far more protection and benefits for the same price. It seems they just emptied the stock shelf of accessories that didn't sell well and threw them on.

On a more positive note, the Fox shocks, hill start assist, added storage, and I4WD which also likely ( and silently) addressed the underlying 2016 clutch shortcomings are worth it. The paint may offer more scratch resistance, but where I ride will still probably not hold up, just have to wait and see on that. I am optimistic, but not sold on the MSRP jump completely.

What is everyone else's thoughts?

I figure that brake modulator is a fairly expensive piece of tech. I know when mine went out on my old truck just buying it was pretty expensive (I just pulled the fuse and did with out ABS).

I am assuming that they are banking on people thinking the i-4WD is a big deal and hoping that people with buy it because it is a Honda.

I am thinking though that while there are lots of rabid Honda fans out there a $4,000 bite is going to be more than most people are willing to chew on since a lot of the included "improvements" are things that the aftermarket does do an equal or better job for an equal or sometimes lower price point.

I figure their Limited Edition had better be pretty limited because I bet people are going to look elsewhere at that price point.

That is pushing well into the performance category and most people who are going to be shelling out that kind of cash are not going to be looking for a crossover type unit to do work and play. For that price they are going to be wanting to jump dunes and beat their friends in races and go fast and hard, not haul mulch and the family around. Those that aren't into performance that are looking to spend north of $20,000 can get a seriously "trucked out" (A/C, cab system, etc) unit with similar or even better utility functions.

The Pioneer is an awesome machine to do work and play around the $15,000 price point with enough cool factor (Paddle shifters, sport mode, convertible seats) but once you get into that price range I don't think many are going to be looking for what the Honda does well.

To me that is even more so in the 3 seat EPS model.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!