Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I always saw a good sawzallin' can fix about anything. Some guys grab the jigsaw at work and I ask'em why use the ladies tool.

The sawzall has a good mix of precision and power.

They both have their places! I've used both on the Pioneer but the fun stuff was done with the Sawzall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never babied mine. When I'm working it hard I drive it like a tractor. When I want speed I drive it like a race car. Always keep the RPM's up. It likes it that way.

I don't know about you but I could never do this to my pioneer, pretty sure it just couldn't handle it... if you think I'm wrong then prove it LOL:

1:50

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Most all new truck and SUV have 4 wheel drive. With the safety features for driving on snow & ice on the road which is a great feature and safe. But for a ATV (sxs) we want out true locked in 4 wheel drive. If one tire spins so does the other tire. We want power and try to be unstoppable!! Only drawbacks with true differentials that lock is that if you turn wheels to sharp while slinging mud you might break a axle but I had rather break a axle then get stuck due to only one tire pulling. Go to mud bogs those guys got $100k invested in there trucks and they run true lockers not electronic limited slip. 16 models rule!

S

Sixgunz

Nov 18, 2016
Phoenix
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just switched from this six seater crew and really don't miss it! The turning radius alone was a nightmare! The shorter turning radius on the P1000-5 is nice. I don't expect one from Honda... but have to say....lt would speak to a segment of the market!

We sold our Ranger Crew several months ago & was just going to buy brand "C's" crew & roll the dice with quality. That was until I caught wind that Honda was purposely not saying anything about the '17 Pioneer 1000...I assumed...well hoped..that they were going to add a crew to the line up. You're right, though...the typical crew is a small bus & has a horrible turning radius. But...with momma & 4 kids & occasionally 2 dogs, I have to give up some stuff to obtain room. ;-)

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I don't know about you but I could never do this to my pioneer, pretty sure it just couldn't handle it... if you think I'm wrong then prove it LOL:

Well @CTDpower ...thats a top of the line general with Fox Shocks. Lets see their base model jump like that. We would have to see the 2017 limited edition in action to have a comparison to the videos you posted. Also, i have jumped my Pioneer many times with stock suspension and it handled it just fine! When i upgrade shocks to the ones shown in your video, i will post a video for you of the extreme air of video #1. Lets compare apples to apples...OKo_O

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Unfortunately, if you go and read the General forums, that performance comes at price. It is really too bad that Honda and Polaris can't get together and come up with a Ponda or a Polarda that had the innovation and features of the General and the durability of a Pioneer 700.

Of course, from an engineering standpoint, for the price point they may be mutually exclusive.

Kind of like the engineering maxim:

Cheap - Fast - High Quality ->

You can have any two but not all three at the same time.

Maybe in the offroad world you can have ->

Performance -Reliability - Reasonable cost

You can have only two.

Honda picks Reliability and Reasonable cost while Polaris picks Performance and Reasonable cost and knows that if they release a "new shiny" next year with more performance and more "features" that a large segment of the buying public will go "Oh, SHINY!" and forget about all the problems they had with last years models and grab the "NEW SHINY with 10 more HP!"

While Honda caters to the "Well my last Honda from 10 years ago is still running fine so I am going to get another one", market segment. (My segment #2 ;))

Probably why Polaris has significantly higher sales figures. They have designed in market share obsolescence. :D

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

About 6 months ago I drove a General at out favorite camp spot(I did do a small write up in here somewhere) and was more then displeased with the vehicle. The first thing I noticed is the sheer lack of craftsmanship! It was like a Snap-tite model for kids. Really poor. The door was two pieces snapped together and kept falling apart. I only put about 5 miles on it with the owner in my rig. The seat was comfy (although it moved around a lot) and the seating profile was better it felt more like a car and the suspension was beautiful (however I'll be putting those same shocks in mine) but everything else just felt cheap and unrefined. It rattled something fierce and I'd NEVER want to go back to snowmobile transmission. When we got back I asked the owner what he felt about mine and with a smile he said he loved the gears! I asked if there was anything he didn't like (and this was a full blooded Polaris guy) he said he didn't like the seating however he'd get use to it and the shocks were crap. That was it. He was fully impressed with the running gear and said if he'd drove that first he'd probably have bought that. The factory shocks are bad and the seating profile is the way it is to run 5 people in a small body. Those were his only complaints.
For the record I'm pretty hard on mine the general would hate me and once we get shocks...watch the videos from that point lol.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the way that sounds ^^^

So you guys think the fox shocks would really make that kind of difference? Like getting 4' of vertical air on jumps and it handles it? I mean really handles it, not just the shocks but the frame and everything too? If so that is awesome. I've never driven the polaris so I personally can't compare, all I have to go off of is the videos and pictures. Honestly for my purposes what I have is basically perfect, I just wish it had a better clutch situation, and maybe I have one of the bad clutches and should just take it in to the dealer?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Shocks make all the difference in the world I said this a while back when we got our 700 I love that machine except for mainly one thing the shocks were absolute crap that thing was way worse than 1000 but the shocks are the same basic set up as the thousand in the front especially (the 1000 is just heavier wider and longer so...) and when we put fox in it it was several times better than the thousand is now big difference I can't even explain the difference so since the thousand is that much better in stock form then the 700 I can only dream at this point how nice it'll be.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I like the way that sounds ^^^

So you guys think the fox shocks would really make that kind of difference? Like getting 4' of vertical air on jumps and it handles it? I mean really handles it, not just the shocks but the frame and everything too? If so that is awesome. I've never driven the polaris so I personally can't compare, all I have to go off of is the videos and pictures. Honestly for my purposes what I have is basically perfect, I just wish it had a better clutch situation, and maybe I have one of the bad clutches and should just take it in to the dealer?

I don't know about the shocks and jumping (I gave that up a long time ago, if I am going to be in the air, I better have wings and a 12 cylinder Merlin in front of me. ;)) but from the complaints that I have read on Polaris forums about the cheap and thin gauge frame material that Polaris uses on their machines, I would think that the Polaris frame would give long before the Honda frame would.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Anybody else waiting for a part number for the LE center skid plate?
Why would it not be the same 2016 Honda accessory skid plates hardly anyone bought because they UHMW was better? Just my 2 cents but I suspect that's how they are getting rid of the 2016 accessories no one bought.

image: https://powersports.honda.com/images/HL4/ac-1000/605x699_Aluminum_Skid.png

605x699 Aluminum Skid
image: https://powersports.honda.com/images/HL4/install-genuine.png

Install genuine
$379.95
msrp
Part # - 08P72-HL4-A00

Read more at Pioneer-Honda Powersports

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

You're comparing a sport/utility to a utility. When Honda puts out a sport model, then you might have something to make this comparison with. What I do know is that I drive it hard enough that I've already blown out a front shock and replaced both with Walker Evans - that actually have 16 adjustment settings instead of 3. Since doing so I've noticed a 100% improvement in handling and performance. I can fly over really rough area's that I wouldn't have dared to do with the stock shocks. The rear levelers seem to work with, also, and even though I like them, I will probably replace them with the Walker Evans next year sometime.

B

BULLDOG6

Jun 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Big Red
I used to work for the company that designed and owned the patent on ABS systems and fully understand how they and traction control systems (reverse abs) work.

Honda even states that it has a limited slip differential. That is by definition a 3WD system, not a true 4WD even when you add traction control to the equation. All traction control does is help ensure that the power goes to the non slipping wheel. It is still a 3WD system.

Unless the front brakes are in a sealed drum or something they are going to be actuating while in muddy water, peanut butter mud, etc. Those sand particles will do a number on those rotors/pads and you won't be able to stop it because the brakes will be applied automatically every time one wheel looses traction.

No dealer is going to let someone test drive a unit through something that will really test it. Someone will have to buy it and try it out. Real people, not ATV magazine writers, they like everything.

Maybe I am wrong and it will become a new industry standard but I firmly believe it will not be.
Unless mini spooled, all are limited slip to some degree. I have no problem with what Hondas direction on the 17 LE is. May even be better than what we call a true 4wd. I own three different side by sides, Honda , Yamaha, and Polaris Highlifter. Have used and abused all three in depth. All three are excellent machines. I can't tell any difference in the 4wd. Only machine I've seen on the bad trails that were 3wd were the video lock. But it too has its place, especially for the high speed sand guys. I think Honda keeps raising the bar, and is doing so very quick. I would think on extreme trails it's new system will allow traction and give a dummy like me to correct my line of travel more than what we have now.

Reactions: Eltobgi
cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
You're comparing a sport/utility to a utility. When Honda puts out a sport model, then you might have something to make this comparison with. What I do know is that I drive it hard enough that I've already blown out a front shock and replaced both with Walker Evans - that actually have 16 adjustment settings instead of 3. Since doing so I've noticed a 100% improvement in handling and performance. I can fly over really rough area's that I wouldn't have dared to do with the stock shocks. The rear levelers seem to work with, also, and even though I like them, I will probably replace them with the Walker Evans next year sometime.

How much?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!