Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Didn't see anything that would make me want a new one. Hill start assist was a nice touch though, especially with the twitchy throttle these have. I'd much rather have my diff lock. On the new boats I've owned in the past, the day after warranty expires, i always disconnected the oil injection. My theory is if I put it there, I know it's there.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Way to jump the shark there Honda. You will now be the laughing stock of the offroad forums....

Not only do you try and copy Polaris, you do a very bad job of it. This is basically automating the same crap everyone says you should do on Honda 3WD ATVs. You don't need diff lock, just apply the front brakes...:rolleyes:

That is not a good system to put in an offroad vehicle like a UTV. There is a reason why all new vehicles have a traction control shut off button. Those systems work off the ABS tone wheel. An algorithm compares tone wheel X1 with tone wheel X2 when the RPM of X1 exceeds X2 or vice versa it applies the brakes to the wheel that is greater than the algorithm. So now, instead of "positive" power being applied to both wheels, you have a "negative" power being applied. So you are stuck in mud, and you are going to power through it. Your tires are spinning and you are turning the wheel back and forth trying to find traction, every time you bump into hard ground and start to get traction, your opposing wheel gets braked, keep doing that in that gooey mud and eventually you will seize up your calipers. You need all the wheels spinning, you don't want any of them to be slowed down and do you really want to rely on your brakes, which are likely submerged in gooey, abrasive, and altogether nasty mud to be actuated repeatedly? I hope they have some really good rotors and pads and easy to clean calipers. Plus tone wheels and the ABS controllers are pretty darn expensive to replace.

I am sure they will work fine on road riding but I don't think that was really all that well thought out. The Can Am Viscolock is better it will at least lock the front wheels together after some wheel spin and apply "positive" power instead of a "negative" one. So is the Hilliard system Poo Poo uses.

If Honda wanted to do that, why didn't they just buy a damn Hilliard front diff and spec it to stay together instead of the way Polaris does it.

Honda continues to try to appeal to the older estate owners who I am sure would like to have a system that is like the truck that they own that never leaves the highway and that they don't have to think about. I don't know the market, maybe that is where the money is.

I hope that this is only the LE models and the "standard" models continue to use the current system. Of course, if they don't, they just raised the value of my 1000-5.;)

I am interested to see if they have changed the air intake location. In the literature posted it says "high under the hood" which to me indicates that it isn't in the same place since the current design isn't really under the hood at all and what portion is there is at the bottom of the hood. Hopefully they will offer a factory retrofit kit.

I bet the "improved shifting from start" means that they have improved clutch engagement somehow so that is a plus.

Great seat heat fix though, just make the seat thicker...o_O

Glad I didn't wait.

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy but I just call them like I see them.
"To develop this intelligent system, Honda engineers collaborated with our automotive division and then tailored a system specifically for the rigors of the off-road environment. With I-4WD, the Pioneer 1000-5 LE and Pioneer 1000 LE set new industry standards, putting our flagship multipurpose side-by-side even further ahead of the competition in terms of performance and value."
This section of the press release supports the fact that this may at first glance appear similar in function to what others sxs's offer but also differentiates itself from those competitors! I say until you have had an opportunity to test the collective result of these new features being described as the "New Industry Standard" you really are only speculating on your limited knowledge of the new offering by Honda for the Sxs enthusiasts! So do us all a favor and comment on the cup holders or dash and wait to pass judgement until you test one!

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
LE looks pretty nice, not sure why they spent so much effort messing with the 4wd system, seemed fine the way it was. Shocks and dash upgrades are great. I suspect they beefed up the clutch and tweaked the air intake but we'll have to wait and see on that I guess.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Polaris can keep their Hilliard. They are junk. They work awesome for a little while, but it doesn't take long for the AWD to stop working - armature plates warp and wear out, PLASTIC roller cages break, CAST ring and pinion wear out, etc. I've personally seen those issues, and had the displeasure of working on them (and seen the letters "CHINA" stamped proudly on the bearings inside). I'd take this 1000 and the new AWD system in a heartbeat over any polaris. I will be very surprised if many people have an issue with this new Honda system. They have been using their i-AWD system for many years in Pilots, Ridgelines, and other models - and it works great. Maybe a little over the top for a side by side, but I'm sure it's been thoroughly abused in testing by Honda - unlike Polaris that just sells unproven products to their customers to let them find the weak points.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cbull

Nov 18, 2016
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I give up on HONDA!!!
I'm with ya,
I like the new fox shocks, but that's it.
And what the heck is this I 4WD? If it's anything like the can am visco-lok it will suck! A true manual locker controlled by the driver is truly the best system out there. I'm afraid they may have just taken several steps back. And really, no increase in power??!!! Does honda not pay attention to the competition? Ranger 1000 80hp plus more tq. Can am, same power but about 10 more ft lbs of tq, to the wheels! I bet next years can am spring time release will have more power in the defender to compete with the Polaris ranger. And an automobile style cab like the defender and ranger would be a huge improvement as well. Honda needs to hire someone like me if they want to stay above the competition. Otherwise their just going to continue to lose. Dang honda!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
In that case the base MSRP on these LE models must be 20-22k, right? Maybe more?

Honestly, who would pay that over a RZR or Maverick with those options?

I am guessing it will be in the $18,999 range for list price. For 22K it better have 110 HP and better seats with lower center of gravity.

Reactions: amc019
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"In the literature posted it says "high under the hood" "

I want to say that is how it was worded for our 2016s as well. I could have swore I've read that before back when I was buying mine. And I know that is the exact words my dealer used when he was giving me the walk around after purchase. It may be a true statement but it is a stretch. "High" compared to what? and the only thing under the hood is the access to the pre-filter cube.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everybody bashes the polaris stuff, and I've never owned one, but I got to think if I babied a polaris like a baby my pioneer then it would last forever. I watch videos on youtube and see the abuse some of these rzr's are getting and can't imagine how some of them don't break in the video. So when people talk about rzrs breaking all I can think about is those videos and say to myself "well yeah, of course it broke!" My Honda may be much tougher than I think but when driving it around it gives me only enough confidence to feel like I need to baby it. Even my brother's viking feels tougher when driving it. I still say on paper my pioneer is the best choice for me available right now though. However, if the feature set of the LE (i.e. that auto 4x4 stuff) was the only way to buy a pioneer when they came out in 2016, then I wouldn't have bought one.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2017 Honda Pioneer 1000 and Pioneer 1000-5 key improvements.
  • Memory function that retains the last transmission mode after engaging in reverse.
  • Winch harness is now pre-wired
  • Thicker seats
  • updated DCT for smoother acceleration from a stop.
  • 1000 standard and 1000-5 standard are not available with the new I-4WD system!

This is from the other thread... This right here is the most promising thing I've read. I wonder what they did to make that claim? And more importantly will they do the right thing and repair/replace all the 2016's that don't have this update?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
2017 Honda Pioneer 1000 and Pioneer 1000-5 key improvements.
  • Memory function that retains the last transmission mode after engaging in reverse.
  • Winch harness is now pre-wired
  • Thicker seats
  • updated DCT for smoother acceleration from a stop.
  • 1000 standard and 1000-5 standard are not available with the new I-4WD system!

This is from the other thread... This right here is the most promising thing I've read. I wonder what they did to make that claim? And more importantly will they do the right thing and repair/replace all the 2016's that don't have this update?

That is what I am wondering. Reducing the jerkiness implies that they did something to reduce the "popping the clutch" starts that we seem to have now. It might be all they did was changing the ECM programming to gradually engage the clutch which actually might be detrimental to clutch life (more slip) or maybe they changed it so it engaged sooner and you don't get the higher revs and then "bang" head jerking engagement.

I would think that if it was just a profile change in the ECM it could changed in 2016 models with a reflash.

Reactions: Luv4Chaos1
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anybody else waiting for a part number for the LE center skid plate?

Reactions: Hondasxs
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It'll be interesting to see how this new rig shakes out. I just bought a 16 about three weeks ago and very pleased with it so far. The choices of differential modes is one of the reasons I bought the Honda. A better seat sounds like a good upgrade.

S

Sixgunz

Nov 18, 2016
Phoenix
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've been waiting a while for this announcement - hoping it would be a 6 seater "Pioneer Crew" with a dump bed...and am obviously disappointed. With my family, if it doesn't seat six, it may as well only seat one. We go on all day trips & take a lot of gear with us - we NEED the bed space.

If Honda is reading this - you are missing the boat by not offering a 6 seater crew with a bed.

QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
"thicker seat foam"
They forgot to add "Heat resistant"

I'm wonder if some changes, (clutch, heat) are addressed but unannounced.

Reactions: Tflynn
QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I've been waiting a while for this announcement - hoping it would be a 6 seater "Pioneer Crew" with a dump bed...and am obviously disappointed. With my family, if it doesn't seat six, it may as well only seat one. We go on all day trips & take a lot of gear with us - we NEED the bed space.

If Honda is reading this - you are missing the boat by not offering a 6 seater crew with a bed.
Stuff a cushion on that hard as heck center pole, it kid of works ;)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!