P500 Honda Pioneer 500 vs SAND DUNES

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Hello friends,
There is very little information on the web about how the Pioneer 500 performs in the sand dunes. Rightfully so - nobody is buying the Pioneer 500 as a dune-machine. However, I spent a full day enjoying legitimate sand dunes in my 2018 Pioneer 500 and I will be posting some footage from different parts of the Little Sahara Recreation Management Area. Here is the first:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hello friends,
There is very little information on the web about how the Pioneer 500 performs in the sand dunes. Rightfully so - nobody is buying the Pioneer 500 as a dune-machine. However, I spent a full day enjoying legitimate sand dunes in my 2018 Pioneer 500 and I will be posting some footage from different parts of the Little Sahara Recreation Management Area. Here is the first:
Looks fun!!

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Looks fun!!
It largely depends on how you like to enjoy the dunes. The Pioneer 500 has enough power to get you most anywhere, because generally when there is a big climb you can get around to the top of the hill another way, and the little Pioneer has enough power to get you up there - the path of least resistance. It does have enough power to enjoy bowls and dunes, and plenty of power for simply exploring the dunes and enjoying the beauty of the sand.

C

corvid

Sep 13, 2013
Hello friends,
Thanks for that....What gear do you suggest for a climb up a dune from the beach...real soft sand...
Jerry
Bowie Az

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
First make sure your tires are aired down to a minimum PSI. Then make sure the machine is in 4wd. You will likely climb it in 2nd gear. If you have room to start in 3rd gear and begin the climb at wide open throttle that will help, then as it slows you downshift to 2nd gear and keep climbing. Hope this helps.

MtClimber500

MtClimber500

Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2020
Butte, Mt
Ownership

1. 500
I live close to the Idaho sand dunes. Have stopped by several times to watch people run. Usually see machines that have been souped up with lots of horsepower. Glad to hear that someone thinks you can do it with a P500. I would imagine that a Torque Locker would help. Will have to take my 500 down sometime and try a day. Would think if you could catch a damp day after a rain the sand would be the best for a small machine.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I live close to the Idaho sand dunes. Have stopped by several times to watch people run. Usually see machines that have been souped up with lots of horsepower. Glad to hear that someone thinks you can do it with a P500. I would imagine that a Torque Locker would help. Will have to take my 500 down sometime and try a day. Would think if you could catch a damp day after a rain the sand would be the best for a small machine.
Are you referring to the dunes at St Anthony? I LOVE those dunes. Something I learned in my P500: It can easily explore the dunes. But it isn’t meant as a “dune machine.” A dune machine can climb the big dunes, carve the big bowls, jump the ridges, etc. The P500 was a blast in the dunes if your expectation is to explore the dunes.

Reactions: 906UP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!