ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've kept safety in mind building my 1000-5. I bought one of the first BCF harness bars and added harnesses pretty quick after trail riding with my family. They add both comfort and stability in the front seat. I left all the window nets on and even replaced the clips to keep them in place when they broke so they would keep debris out and body parts in. I didn't realize it until this weekend but having the Alienshade roof also protected us for similar reasons. Additionally, I generally make my passengers wear a helmet and goggles. As it turns out the combination of all these things definitely protected us this weekend.

I ordered a P&B dust extraction helmet ventilation system for dust and heat and I’m going to look at helmets with my daughter to see what I can find to fit her.

I had already added a tab behind my HAM radio just to be able to mount one.

As I get older I am feeling ever shorter than 10’ tall and a lot less bulletproof.

I had planned on adding the nets back to the passenger side for her and I have the rear nets in a bag for when I have kids in the back.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dont forget that if/when you roll, things can come through the roof. Branches, stumps, rocks etc. And you will never see it coming. At least 2 guys did a back flip this week and 1 poorly placed stump or rock through the roof can quickly result in paralysis or death.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

J

JTW

First real good ride where I could put the new retractable harnesses to the test... they were awesome! Comfortable and did their job as they should! I would highly recommend this safety mod!

A81840CF 0A05 4D9E B735 8C2F0C5E0173
74DA0E53 DDD3 480D 941C 7F331108F816
54C1517A 1F87 4875 AF89 F53FFE5F6968
249A3D3B 28F1 4796 9BBC 5110CC63C6C4
D5FC9D83 D8EE 4D09 8105 B5D98C2A1D19

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dont forget that if/when you roll, things can come through the roof. Branches, stumps, rocks etc. And you will never see it coming. At least 2 guys did a back flip this week and 1 poorly placed stump or rock through the roof can quickly result in paralysis or death.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

After kilo rolled backwards and @ToddACimer rolled on the 40degree slickrock (measured it with Garmin video) I had the same thought. Todd did have 3 up, with helmets and harnesses and was stone cold sober before folks assume. I sent the Alienshade and soft top back to Amazon yesterday.

I thought aboutadding a flat piece to the ROPS, but I think it will deform and come through. The Honda hard top shouldn’t because of its shape and how it’s mounted and it’s @¼” thick.

More weight and it’ll be more prone to tipping, @Kilo427 had a lot of body roll Wednesday-Thursday until he removed some of the weight he was hauling and was much more stable Friday and Saturday. It’s amazing how little extra weight affects the center of mass. I’m considering reworking mine to move more weight down lower. I don’t have much as I’ve tried to keep weight low. I think I can move maybe 20-25lbs total but I’m going to do it.

Todd’s ROPS deformed so much because it hit a rock on the right front corner and took the majority of the impact there. If you were to center a tree stump or rock in that open center section the ROPS should stay more intact and the hard top should help spread the forces out to the ROPS “better” using back of the napkin math.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Made the brackets that hold the harnesses and got the 1.5” clamps and harnesses from eBay
Might be something I do for the front I like the idea of being able to move I got four points for the kids in the back already Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah it kinda lowered itself when the rear A arm bracket bend forward and down about 1-2 inches when I landed on the rear wheels from the flip. I can tell yah I tipped once and flipped once and the X3 harness did well. Overall I think I do like the retractable harness better although it does increase my back fatigue a bit vs the old style harness that keeps you locked in the whole time. I haven't ever used spacers so I have always been a bit tippy, I think reduction of weight and spacers will probably help a lot.

Well as long as I don't hit trees and climb up the sideways which probably was the slowest tip over I have ever had. Heck ohana almost had time to get out and come stop it from tipping but he wanted to make sure his camera was running LOL!

I saw it start happening and had time to have an entire thought process and even consider jumping out after I checked the camera was on.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah it kinda lowered itself when the rear A arm bracket bend forward and down about 1-2 inches when I landed on the rear wheels from the flip. I can tell yah I tipped once and flipped once and the X3 harness did well. Overall I think I do like the retractable harness better although it does increase my back fatigue a bit vs the old style harness that keeps you locked in the whole time. I haven't ever used spacers so I have always been a bit tippy, I think reduction of weight and spacers will probably help a lot.

Well as long as I don't hit trees and climb up the sideways which probably was the slowest tip over I have ever had. Heck ohana almost had time to get out and come stop it from tipping but he wanted to make sure his camera was running LOL!

I like the retracts, its easier to get in and out of, I can see the regular ones keeping your body still but after a week of being strapped to it I think I might be more shaken than a can of paint, Not sure. They keep you planted instead of sliding all over the seat on rough terrain and that makes a huge difference in comfort after a day of rough trails.

I didn't think spacers would make any difference and looked at them as a looks only add for the longest time. Then I bought them to clear my inner dual beadlocks, I had gone down Widowmaker without them some people wanted to go and I went down it with them and it was a very noticeable difference. Your tire kinda caught the tree and it caught enough it pulled it into the tree it looked like and just started climbing. Mine is going on a diet before next year I am only carrying in my tool kit what I need for trail repairs and going to loose some of the extra recovery gear I have and a couple quarts of oil. Remount my accessories that are mounted high and remove the rear seats and seat belts (JUST of the rough overland trip) since I won't have any rear passengers. I'll even lighten my camping gear up some too. I will say the aftermarket shocks help it stay settled better than the factory shocks and therefore more stable.

Reactions: Ragnar406 and JTW
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I like the retracts, its easier to get in and out of, I can see the regular ones keeping your body still but after a week of being strapped to it I think I might be more shaken than a can of paint, Not sure. They keep you planted instead of sliding all over the seat on rough terrain and that makes a huge difference in comfort after a day of rough trails.

I didn't think spacers would make any difference and looked at them as a looks only add for the longest time. Then I bought them to clear my inner dual beadlocks, I had gone down Widowmaker without them some people wanted to go and I went down it with them and it was a very noticeable difference. Your tire kinda caught the tree and it caught enough it pulled it into the tree it looked like and just started climbing. Mine is going on a diet before next year I am only carrying in my tool kit what I need for trail repairs and going to loose some of the extra recovery gear I have and a couple quarts of oil. Remount my accessories that are mounted high and remove the rear seats and seat belts (JUST of the rough overland trip) since I won't have any rear passengers. I'll even lighten my camping gear up some too. I will say the aftermarket shocks help it stay settled better than the factory shocks and therefore more stable.

Yeah the regular ones probably do shake you quite alot but your lower back and core doesn't have to continually compensate like in the retractable. Its like anything pros and cons. If I were just racing or just rock bouncing I would use the old style. But for days of riding and fiddling with shifter and gps the x3 harness is the best.

Its true I probably need aftermarket shocks, but for me its a lot of trouble, before you know it id be staying up for hours reading on shocks and angle looking like Matt Damon at the chalk board on Goodwill hunting. If some one comes up with the perfect set up that's not 4 million dollars I would think about it, but I don't mind riding rough. I agree I will lighten everything except the cooler, I think several people appreciated that on the second day, when they needed water and such...

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where'd you get those harnesses? Would like to get some for the backseats for sure.
Found them on Amazon for like 50 bucks apiece last time I looked for somebody they were unavailable

Reactions: Adam490
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its true I probably need aftermarket shocks, but for me its a lot of trouble, before you know it id be staying up for hours reading on shocks and angle looking like Matt Damon at the chalk board on Goodwill hunting...

Do that for a while then call Snuff

Reactions: JTW
B

brose05

Mar 21, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4 point for kids and use there nets ,and I wear my factory belt and I try not to act like a dumb assView attachment 108304View attachment 108305View attachment 108306

Hey I like your set up. It looks like you didn't use a harness bar for the rear... did you just strap the top to the bars on the seat? Where did you connect the bottom and where did you buy those harnesses? Sorry for the questions, just wanting to do the same thing you did.

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey I like your set up. It looks like you didn't use a harness bar for the rear... did you just strap the top to the bars on the seat? Where did you connect the bottom and where did you buy those harnesses? Sorry for the questions, just wanting to do the same thing you did.
I just loosened the floor from the seat Looped seat belts around tighten it up and then the bottom I just took the factory Clips off and four points right back through the same holes kids love them . If we do some serious riding I have taken ratchet strap around the back seats the bars I thought eye bolts to floor would work too

GaryGrant

GaryGrant

Sep 3, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
I used Velcro straps for the tie downs.... one on each side and two added to the back through the handle hole. Just nail the Velcro to the wood and wrap to put on, unwrap to take off! ......... eeezy peezy.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!