Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
With the latest discussion of a rollover. I would like to start a safety mod thread,to discuss and show what some members have done to protect themselves and others.

We all want to have a good time on the trails and all return to camp safely.
I for 1 DO NOT want to have to help an injured member off the trail. I know everyone has a choice, but my choice is to do all i can to protect my passengers.

Ok lets use this as a place to show off you safety mods and maybe it will promote more members to follow. Please show pictures and some info on your mod, like parts used and even links to your parts if possible. Anything safety related is what i would like to see.

I have gotten numerous compliments on our groups trail edict,organization and friendliness. I see this group as a leader in how to do things the best a safest way possible.If we can help/save an injury or death we have done our job.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I leave the factory safety nets on and in use.
I wear the factory seat belt.
I wear a helmet.
I wear goggles.
I wear gloves.
I pre-ride check.
I post-ride check.
I ride sober (as in a .000 bac)

And most importantly, I try to keep the nut behind the wheel's ego in check so it doesn't write a check his machine and/or his own abilities can't cash.

Accidents happen otherwise people would call them on purposes.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
One thing I see neglected is a good roll cage. The factory cages may or may not even survive a simple side flop. If it is a multiple roll situation and the cage folds on the first hit it's going to be bad. Anytime a tube is bent or dented, it is extremely compromised. Unfortunately there really isn't any simple options for an aftermarket Pioneer cage outside of having a custom one built. With the Talon, I expect there to be multiple companies making bolt-on cages rather soon. The YXZ that I just got is my first performance SXS and it night and day different than the Pioneer. You can get into a lot more trouble with it as it is so much easier to drive 2-3 times faster making you feel like your Walker Evans haha which should be similar to the Talon. The problem with that is "if/when" you wreck, it might be much worse if your carrying the extra speed.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wear 4-Point harness.
I will start to wear a helmet.
I pre-ride check.
I post-ride check.

And most importantly, I try to keep the nut behind the wheel's ego in check so it doesn't write a check his machine and/or his own abilities can't cash.

Pictures and explanation of harness here.

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have gotten numerous compliments on our groups trail edict,organization and friendliness.

Mike, @Tramguage1

What are you referring to? Can you provide examples of what you are talking about? We’re these complaints from the last ride this weekend?

Anyone else receive any negative feedback from group rides?

Thanks.
COMPIMENTS!!!!o_O

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I leave the factory safety nets on and in use.
I wear the factory seat belt.
I wear a helmet.
I wear goggles.
I wear gloves.
I pre-ride check.
I post-ride check.

Not sure there are accidents. Maybe more like bad decisions

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure there are accidents. Maybe more like bad decisions

Bad decisions definitely happen as well.

Anyone familiar with the ladder of risk?

Most people would jump off the 2nd or maybe even 3rd step of a ladder. By step 4 like 95% are out and wouldn't jump. But we all know that 1 guy that would jump off the top of it and break an ankle and then try it the next weekend from a taller ladder to see if the cast helps.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I believe the best safety mod is lighting! Better lighting equates safer nighttime driving! Possibly even more important is the ability to be seen! Some may think it screams hey look at me and to those I would just say you are right!
B3062242 B616 4A9C A3E3 1555F1EDFF7C C7458C26 DFC4 4D42 9035 6DD087847B31 C616FEBF 5E53 439A AF7C 4C356D12CF64

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Tire pressure is a big one that wasn’t specifically listed.

Also, can wheel spacers and chopped top be on the list for added stability?
Was just toughing out a few examples. Anything someone has done to there machines to make it safer.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen lots of talk of harnesses.
I agree with changing out the factory 3 point for a 4 or 5 point setup.
We need to put our heads together collectively and come up with a solution for the shoulder straps on the BCF bar. They need to be retained to do their job. I have a solution in place right now, but I want to get another ride or 2 under my belt before I suggest others do it as well.
So, Anyone with harnesses currently installed and the shoulder part not being retained from sliding on the bar, step up and help us come up with a solution to keep them from sliding left to right.

There is a lot of racecar science that goes into angles of retention and mounting locations for harnesses.

If the shoulder harness is free to slide left to right on the bar, in a rollover, flop, cartwheel etc, they will slide on the bar, potentially causing more injury than the factory belts due to compressing your body unnaturally, or not holding your body in place at all.
I would hate to see someone install a harness setup and injure themselves due to sliding on the bar, thinking they will be safer.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen lots of talk of harnesses.
I agree with changing out the factory 3 point for a 4 or 5 point setup.
We need to put our heads together collectively and come up with a solution for the shoulder straps on the BCF bar. They need to be retained to do their job. I have a solution in place right now, but I want to get another ride or 2 under my belt before I suggest others do it as well.
So, Anyone with harnesses currently installed and the shoulder part not being retained from sliding on the bar, step up and help us come up with a solution to keep them from sliding left to right.

There is a lot of racecar science that goes into angles of retention and mounting locations for harnesses.

If the shoulder harness is free to slide left to right on the bar, in a rollover, flop, cartwheel etc, they will slide on the bar, potentially causing more injury than the factory belts due to compressing your body unnaturally, or not holding your body in place at all.
I would hate to see someone install a harness setup and injure themselves due to sliding on the bar, thinking they will be safer.

I went retractable for two reasons:
The manual Harnesses are a slight pain and I would be tempted to not use them for short distances or only use the lap portion.
The retracts for the harnesses are mounted where they need to be mounted.

So far they have caught when a sudden movement or shift initiated them to, but not when they aren't needed like the seatbelts on the 700, which if you were going slightly downhill they would activate even without a sudden movement.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!