Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went retractable for two reasons:
The manual Harnesses are a slight pain and I would be tempted to not use them for short distances or only use the lap portion.
The retracts for the harnesses are mounted where they need to be mounted.

So far they have caught when a sudden movement or shift initiated them to, but not when they aren't needed like the seatbelts on the 700, which if you were going slightly downhill they would activate even without a sudden movement.
I do like your setup. If I didn't already have the harnesses and bar when you showed yours, I might have gone that way as well.
You had a skilled welder help install yours. Not everyone has one of those a short phone call away.
I am not confident enough in my welding skills yet to do that myself. I would definitely hire that part out if I chose to go that route.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I have seen lots of talk of harnesses.
I agree with changing out the factory 3 point for a 4 or 5 point setup.
We need to put our heads together collectively and come up with a solution for the shoulder straps on the BCF bar. They need to be retained to do their job. I have a solution in place right now, but I want to get another ride or 2 under my belt before I suggest others do it as well.
So, Anyone with harnesses currently installed and the shoulder part not being retained from sliding on the bar, step up and help us come up with a solution to keep them from sliding left to right.

There is a lot of racecar science that goes into angles of retention and mounting locations for harnesses.

If the shoulder harness is free to slide left to right on the bar, in a rollover, flop, cartwheel etc, they will slide on the bar, potentially causing more injury than the factory belts due to compressing your body unnaturally, or not holding your body in place at all.
I would hate to see someone install a harness setup and injure themselves due to sliding on the bar, thinking they will be safer.
Can u use a 2 pcs shaft collar on the outsides of each set of belts?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
29NX76 AS01

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen lots of talk of harnesses.
I agree with changing out the factory 3 point for a 4 or 5 point setup.
We need to put our heads together collectively and come up with a solution for the shoulder straps on the BCF bar. They need to be retained to do their job. I have a solution in place right now, but I want to get another ride or 2 under my belt before I suggest others do it as well.
So, Anyone with harnesses currently installed and the shoulder part not being retained from sliding on the bar, step up and help us come up with a solution to keep them from sliding left to right.

There is a lot of racecar science that goes into angles of retention and mounting locations for harnesses.

If the shoulder harness is free to slide left to right on the bar, in a rollover, flop, cartwheel etc, they will slide on the bar, potentially causing more injury than the factory belts due to compressing your body unnaturally, or not holding your body in place at all.
I would hate to see someone install a harness setup and injure themselves due to sliding on the bar, thinking they will be safer.
Work perfect
Upload 2019 2 12 10 15 3

Tusk Safety Harness Retainer Straps

Ones I ordered Pro Armor Safety Harness Retainer Straps

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can u use a 2 pcs shaft collar on the outsides of each set of belts?
Did you look in my machine thru a time portal or something?

I am using 3 per side right now. one in the middle, and one on each side to retain. I haven't gotten the belt quite tight enough on the BCF bar to keep it from slipping over the collar. My next step is slice a piece of 2.5" OD .065w tubing from my scrap bin and tack that onto the collars to retain it.
Until I get that done, and can contain the belt 100%, I didn't want to share. But seeing that you brought it up, I figured I would share what I have done so far. I'll grab a picture tonight.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have pictures of this installed?
I can get one when I get home, it works good though. Because I only have harnesses on my side I took the other one and have it clipped on a bar that I attached a few things too - neither has moved as of yet but I also have not been in a accident - it helps keep the harness straps in the same place and I also used prior to getting the harness bar.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Did you look in my machine thru a time portal or something?

I am using 3 per side right now. one in the middle, and one on each side to retain. I haven't gotten the belt quite tight enough on the BCF bar to keep it from slipping over the collar. My next step is slice a piece of 2.5" OD .065w tubing from my scrap bin and tack that onto the collars to retain it.
Until I get that done, and can contain the belt 100%, I didn't want to share. But seeing that you brought it up, I figured I would share what I have done so far. I'll grab a picture tonight.

Bought tabs and welded in nuts. U could also just bolt through the bar.

20190212 104147

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I went retractable for two reasons:
The manual Harnesses are a slight pain and I would be tempted to not use them for short distances or only use the lap portion.
The retracts for the harnesses are mounted where they need to be mounted.

So far they have caught when a sudden movement or shift initiated them to, but not when they aren't needed like the seatbelts on the 700, which if you were going slightly downhill they would activate even without a sudden movement.
If I did multi point I’d do this setup. Seatbelts don’t work unless they remain tight and most multi point I’ve been in it’s hard to reach things and be comfortable to drive. Biggest reason I haven’t switched out is we have so many different sized drivers, it’s not just me and multi is much harder to adjust and be comfortable especially with dirt or mud so I’ve been concerned people won’t spend the time to tighten or simply not wear them which would be much worse. I’ve been watching your setup and may possibly do something similar.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Retractable would best for multiple size and shape of occupants. If we can come up with something, I will contact BCF and see if he will add retainers.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I have worn the retractable ones in my friend x3. While I agree you can reach more with it I found my self continually yanking on the shoulders harness to lock the straps when going down big rocks and hills and up the more treacherous stuff. For just day to day riding its fine though. I just prefer to not move, I find its less aggravating on my back as well when you are solidly in a non moving harness as your core doesn't have to compensate.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
As far as safety goes I try to keep my whits about me for the most part given my medical training. Also small first aid kit, usually an epi pin. You can carry as much medical gear as you want but depending on the situation in the middle of a trail there are usually two scenarios. Stabilize and wait for extraction or get off the trail for further evaluation.

I attended a wilderness life support once for several days. Was astounded how you must remove yourself from the typical mindset of sterile clean environment. Anesthesiologist was teaching us how to intubate with cut off car hoses. That tongues in the way well grab a safety pin and pin it to the side of the mouth out of the way. Because sometimes if your that far out if you do nothing the result is death so you have to try. But luckily most of our rides arent in such extreme terrain so far removed.

Although I did get to practice some skills I didn't know I had in Utah. Ask JTW, Hazard and HondaSxS

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As far as safety goes I try to keep my whits about me for the most part given my medical training. Also small first aid kit, usually an epi pin. You can carry as much medical gear as you want but depending on the situation in the middle of a trail there are usually two scenarios. Stabilize and wait for extraction or get off the trail for further evaluation.

I attended a wilderness life support once for several days. Was astounded how you must remove yourself from the typical mindset of sterile clean environment. Anesthesiologist was teaching us how to intubate with cut off car hoses. That tongues in the way well grab a safety pin and pin it to the side of the mouth out of the way. Because sometimes if your that far out if you do nothing the result is death so you have to try. But luckily most of our rides arent in such extreme terrain so far removed.

Although I did get to practice some skills I didn't know I had in Utah. Ask JTW, Hazard and HondaSxS
I have close on more than one occasion of purchasing one of these
Upload 2019 2 12 11 48 49

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Aluminum fenderwell protection. @ohanacreek almost broke my foot in his rig behind my house with a stick coming through the floorboard. Just a Y shaped stick on the ground rolled up when driving over it and it went right through the overlap between the firewall and floorboard plastics.

IMG 20170416 220350804 Resized 20181017 233829

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have close on more than one occasion of purchasing one of these
View attachment 108179
Great idea if needed. Were looking for a gps phone for awhile and @ohanacreek found a good deal on one so we went with that unit. Works good, we’ve only used it to say hi to friends but it’s always there in case the bad happens

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!