BOX1

Multi Hondasxs.com member safety mods

D

DrMike

Dec 7, 2018
Conifer, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the latest discussion of a rollover. I would like to start a safety mod thread,to discuss and show what some members have done to protect themselves and others.

We all want to have a good time on the trails and all return to camp safely.
I for 1 DO NOT want to have to help an injured member off the trail. I know everyone has a choice, but my choice is to do all i can to protect my passengers.

Ok lets use this as a place to show off you safety mods and maybe it will promote more members to follow. Please show pictures and some info on your mod, like parts used and even links to your parts if possible. Anything safety related is what i would like to see.

I have gotten numerous compliments on our groups trail edict,organization and friendliness. I see this group as a leader in how to do things the best a safest way possible.If we can help/save an injury or death we have done our job.

I think all the suggestions are very important, one that I'd like to add is, if your not sure of the area that you're riding in be cautious on the trails. I have come across some serious accidents because people were riding to fast and didn't know the trails that they were riding on. If you're unfamiliar with new trails, take it easy and don't speed. This person laying on the ground was a passenger and her husband was speeding around a corner and crashed into a huge pine. She fractured her right shoulder, had 3 broken ribs, and a concussion.

COFA Rescue ATV trip 004

Cal

Cal

Apr 15, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like what I see in this thread as a former Firefighter/ First Responder.

Doing cpr on someone whom should have been wearing a seatbelt is well, not fun and very very very unlikely to provide results sadly.

Don’t let the seatbelt / safety thing be limited to your sxs. Wearing your harness in your sxs and then getting in your truck and not wearing your seatbelt is incredibly stupid.

With all this said and while sounding like a donkeys rear, the most important safety tool is between your ears!

In my area sxs’s are commonly used for ice fishing. Safety gear looks different and should consist of the following at a minimum.

Throw line
Ice picks and ice cleats
A throwable life preserver
Whistle
Good led light
Cell phone for emergency calls (others rescue)

It’s serious coin but I am a believer in floating ice bibs and a jacket. I wear mine at all times on the ice.

With all that stated, seat belts etc are NOT used on the ice. ANYTHING that impedes quick exit from the sxs is removed (side nets, etc) with the exception of doors for heat and wind purposes. As the risk of drowning from these items is greater than the risk of crashing on the ice.

While driving on the lake I keep the speeds reasonable, nothing over 2nd high at the most up to 20 mph for safety reasons and more importantly avoiding blowing out the ice and falling in near landings.

Once ice season is over, appropriate safety equipment for the situation is used / restored.

FWIW
I agree! Get those damn seatbelts off when you drive on the ice! SxS, Truck, Car, whatever. Seatbelts off, doors unlocked, etc.

GaryGrant

GaryGrant

Sep 3, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
With the latest discussion of a rollover. I would like to start a safety mod thread,to discuss and show what some members have done to protect themselves and others.

We all want to have a good time on the trails and all return to camp safely.
I for 1 DO NOT want to have to help an injured member off the trail. I know everyone has a choice, but my choice is to do all i can to protect my passengers.

Ok lets use this as a place to show off you safety mods and maybe it will promote more members to follow. Please show pictures and some info on your mod, like parts used and even links to your parts if possible. Anything safety related is what i would like to see.

I have gotten numerous compliments on our groups trail edict,organization and friendliness. I see this group as a leader in how to do things the best a safest way possible.If we can help/save an injury or death we have done our job.
Positive side: one way to check your skidplate !! Not the best way, but you get a clear view....... after you clear the weeds :)
Skid Plate Check
Skid Plate Check

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Good comments on seat belts, got these in every vehicle. Belt cutter/glass hammer. Very inexpensive for $8. Even better with Amazon Smile donation (HondaSxS)

4D360948 41C5 4F8C B862 CC31961E391D

Reactions: sharp
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The importance of a sane person behind the wheel can not be over stated. Even the most experienced professionals have wrecks, and even they will tell you there was something they should've done differently.

As a firefighter I've seen plenty of incidents. Almost always there is at least one or a series of poor decisions that leads to a person's injuries and sometimes loss of life.

Defenses include:
I've done it a million times
I wasnt going that fast
It was an "accident"... aka failed to recognize the risk
I had it under control
Not my fault the conditions changed.
I have experience in this kind of thing.
I would never endanger someone on purpose...
This kind of thing never happens
I was just going on a short ride
I never thought that would happen
Who knew gas was so flammable
I had a seatbelt on!...
I was wearing a helmet....

99.9% of the time "accidents" are the result of someone's poor decisions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
On the road that number is a far stretch as you’ve got other people’s decisions involved and you can’t always avoid an on coming issue so sometimes an accident is just that. I left street bikes for dirt years ago because it was just me and my dirtbike.
For off road it’s a much higher percentage that something could’ve been prevented, I’ll sure admit that. Sometimes though there are instances that are considered an accident, mainly mechanical failure. I will admit most of anything I’ve done looking back there was possibly something that can be done but when you add the human factor in there’s room for error. Say in a given situation there are 3 possible reactions, well you can only split decision one. Best case scenario is you know what to do a second time because you learned your lesson the first.
I always mess around a little in the snow in a car whether it be parking lot or simply tapping the brakes on the road to get a good feeling of the situation beforehand, you’re more likely to know what to do. Imo it’s as important to know what to do in a given situation as it is to avoid it. Sometimes the guy being overly cautious without experience gets into bad situations too.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
On the road that number is a far stretch as you’ve got other people’s decisions involved and you can’t always avoid an on coming issue so sometimes an accident is just that. I left street bikes for dirt years ago because it was just me and my dirtbike.
For off road it’s a much higher percentage that something could’ve been prevented, I’ll sure admit that. Sometimes though there are instances that are considered an accident, mainly mechanical failure. I will admit most of anything I’ve done looking back there was possibly something that can be done but when you add the human factor in there’s room for error. Say in a given situation there are 3 possible reactions, well you can only split decision one. Best case scenario is you know what to do a second time because you learned your lesson the first.
I always mess around a little in the snow in a car whether it be parking lot or simply tapping the brakes on the road to get a good feeling of the situation beforehand, you’re more likely to know what to do. Imo it’s as important to know what to do in a given situation as it is to avoid it. Sometimes the guy being overly cautious without experience gets into bad situations too.

Notice I said its SOMEONES fault. I did not say if you are in an accident its always YOUR fault.

28e6c3d660f970740c46cd27db8829db

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Notice I said its SOMEONES fault. I did not say if you are in an accident its always YOUR fault.

View attachment 109851

Very calm here lol. I wasn’t taking it personal, was for the most part agreeing with you and adding my thoughts.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I think the point that most accidents are due to someone's poor decision (or chain of them) is reasonably valid. You can't control everything. Unfortunately, you can make 100% of the decisions in your control correctly, but if someone else doesn't it still can end very badly for you. Kind of the entire premise behind defensive driving really.

The reality of pushing limits, man or machine, is eventually the limit is found by exceeding it regardless of by how much. Driving off a cliff at 100 mph or at .5 mph is still going to allow gravity to show you the physics of a free fall all the way back to firm ground.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think the point that most accidents are due to someone's poor decision (or chain of them) is reasonably valid. You can't control everything. Unfortunately, you can make 100% of the decisions in your control correctly, but if someone else doesn't it still can end very badly for you. Kind of the entire premise behind defensive driving really.

The reality of pushing limits, man or machine, is eventually the limit is found by exceeding it regardless of by how much. Driving off a cliff at 100 mph or at .5 mph is still going to allow gravity to show you the physics of a free fall all the way back to firm ground.
Hey but if you’re stupid enough to drive off a cliff you might as well do it in grand fashion at 100mph lol.
You know the time I endowed this year my biggest mistake was being too cautious, had I been 1mph more it would’ve rolled over the rock that stuffed the steering. So yes I do agree most accidents are preventable, not even arguing.
There is usually something that could’ve been done when looking back, it’s just difficult to run through all scenarios at once in the split second you have, best thing sometimes is pushing things prior in a more controlled situation so when the emergency arrives it’s sec nature and the situation doesn’t get compounded.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey but if you’re stupid enough to drive off a cliff you might as well do it in grand fashion at 100mph lol.
You know the time I endowed this year my biggest mistake was being too cautious, had I been 1mph more it would’ve rolled over the rock that stuffed the steering. So yes I do agree most accidents are preventable, not even arguing.
There is usually something that could’ve been done when looking back, it’s just difficult to run through all scenarios at once in the split second you have, best thing sometimes is pushing things prior in a more controlled situation so when the emergency arrives it’s sec nature and the situation doesn’t get compounded.

I do parking lot practice as well as the brake test myself. There is a lot to be said for having a decent idea of what you should do when something starts to go bad. Muscle memory is solid stuff for sure.

And you're absolutely right sometimes just a little bit faster is the right answer.

Never going to eliminate all the risk. Hell could step out of the bathtub and slip and fall to your death. Just have to do the best you can to manage the risk down to an acceptable level for yourself and your friends/family. One thing for sure in life is no one gets out alive.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!