Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Need some prayers for Jake. A few of you met Tracy and her dog Jake at Takeover.

He was jumped on Sunday by two pit bull mixes. He survived the initial attack and ran the 400 yards home and he came through the initial surgery OK. His injuries were massive but all superficial (meaning the body cavity and anatomical structure were not compromised).

Unfortunately he is undergoing surgery again today because the tissue that was sewn together on Sunday is now dying. The wounds will have to be opened and allowed to heal - slowly - as open wounds.

Pics before surgery (one tough Jack Russel)

View attachment 78175

View attachment 78179

Monday after Surgery #1
View attachment 78181

On edit, my privileges to post pictures appear to have been eliminated. On second edit, it was a Tapatalk issue.

No pics from today yet ... they are a little too gruesome ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is Jake recovering?

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
He’s great! A little stiffness remains in his hind quarters but he’s good.

Chief, my big cat, not so much. He’s down to 8.5 pounds from 19 or so. Likely putting him down soon. He still has energy but he really is not eating

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
He’s great! A little stiffness remains in his hind quarters but he’s good.

Chief, my big cat, not so much. He’s down to 8.5 pounds from 19 or so. Likely putting him down soon. He still has energy but he really is not eating

Have you had him. Checked at the vet. Our 11 year old rat terrier did the same thing. Come to find out he had some infected teeth. Vet pulled them. Now he is back eating and gaining weight

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes I have. He had a feeding tube earlier this year and we’ve been working with him a lot. Nothing is working so far ...

March
C63820792c30b649fc81fc3300de6095

Reactions: jinx and BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I have. He had a feeding tube earlier this year and we’ve been working with him a lot. Nothing is working so far ...

March
View attachment 87574

I feel for you @elkaholic, there is nothing worse than a sick pet. Especially when it is out of their control.
The first time my lil Shih Tzu got fully groomed, her eyelid was nipped a bit by scissors. We talked to the groomer and she insisted we take her to the ER Vet to get stitched up on a saturday night. Everyone knows after hour vets are not cheap! Groomer stepped up and offered to cover the cost 100%, as well as the follow up visit to remove the stitches.
Ya know, I thought I was a strong guy..... But picking her up the the vet, when she was just waking up from being knocked out, I was a mess! She wasn't in pain at all, but just seeing your pet being hurt by someone else was enough to make a guy tear up.
IMG 20150717 125052

IMG 20150816 084318 IMG 20150816 192744

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand

March
View attachment 87574

Chief either has cancer (where my $$$ are) or an infection. His weight is down to 7 pounds and his white blood cell count is through the roof.

Started him on some serious antibiotics today. If it is an infection, we should see some improvement by Monday. If not, it is his time to cross the rainbow bridge

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes they are. Thanks

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
RIP Chief Ouray: 6/5/2008 - 9/24/2018

Chief crossed the Rainbow Bridge today at about 5:25PM eastern today. He was in my arms and went quietly. He is now without pain ...

Snoozing in 2014
8ef27f935b25fdb78e7e71f1c4bf2e2c

With Monkey in 2015
607ec8eae07131db6069caccc8900dd6

March of this year with his feeding tube.
C30adafc1bbbfd44090f8bebae06ead2

April - doing better
3e1382a65cb8e52a168999bf37f204a9

Last night - barely able to get to the water bowl.
279d713d04cd9ed69d5c0841a2479684

In the first picture, he was close to 19 pounds ... in the last a hair over 7.

Chief, I am sorry I didn’t act sooner to prevent your pain.... you will be missed ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Chief crossed the Rainbow Bridge today at about 5:25PM eastern today. He was in my arms and went quietly. He is now without pain ...

Snoozing in 2014
View attachment 88072

With Monkey in 2015
View attachment 88073

View attachment 88074

April - doing better
View attachment 88075

View attachment 88076

Chief, I am sorry I didn’t act sooner to prevent your pain.... you will be missed ....

Sorry for your loss, it can’t be easy. They are not just pets, they are furry parts of our families.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 78309

This dog has a funny expression!

Oh, she has quite the personality! She'll sit up like that and talk to us in the morning until we give her her morning dog treat.. one of the large dogbone shaped treats from Costco. She'll take it and hide it in her bed. Takes her all day to actually eat it.

She's the only female surrounded by 4 males, and she rules the roost. The little shiat would tackle a buzz saw.. she'll even put Thor, our Shepherd in his place.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Snoozing in 2014
View attachment 88072

With Monkey in 2015
View attachment 88073

View attachment 88074

April - doing better
View attachment 88075

View attachment 88076

I’m so so sorry for your loss. Loosing a family member is very tuff! My hart just twist in knots for you. I’m a complete mess whenever I’ve lost one of my dogs. All you can do is just remember that you gave that cat the best happy life he could have ever asked for. God speed Chief!

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Snoozing in 2014
View attachment 88072

With Monkey in 2015
View attachment 88073

View attachment 88074

April - doing better
View attachment 88075

View attachment 88076

So sorry for you loss ,it sucks going thru that. I had to put my 16 year old dog she had cancer best dog I ever had towards the end her mouth bad see couldn't eat still sucks 420fd19c8b4115b4d25026c0eec887a8B1f23679771e25d3f94522a8f07b4494D75e40cdb0f2804ecfee60bc55c4ca10

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I’m so so sorry for your loss. Loosing a family member is very tuff! My hart just twist in knots for you. I’m a complete mess whenever I’ve lost one of my dogs. All you can do is just remember that you gave that cat the best happy life he could have ever asked for. God speed Chief!

Thank you sir. I saw your post about building a deer stand so I know you hunt. I am amazed at the number of people who cannot understand how I can take an animal (or “disappear” a feral cat) but choke up putting my buddy down .... figure you get it.

Thanks for your thoughts ....

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you sir. I saw your post about building a deer stand so I know you hunt. I am amazed at the number of people who cannot understand how I can take an animal (or “disappear” a feral cat) but choke up putting my buddy down .... figure you get it.

Thanks for your thoughts ....

I think you'll find many of us get it. It's funny you say that though.. even my wife doesn't get it. We went for a hike south of town last week with our two big dogs.. I watched two coyotes shadowing us for about half the walk. They stayed 2-300 yards off, but I knew they were smelling both our dogs. I considered lobbing a .45 round or two their way and my wife looked at me and said "no you wont!" Tried to explain to her if given the chance they'd gang up on our dogs etc... Even after 37 years together, she's still a city girl LOL!

The only solace I get after putting one of our pets down is at least they aren't hurting anymore..

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I think you'll find many of us get it. It's funny you say that though.. even my wife doesn't get it. We went for a hike south of town last week with our two big dogs.. I watched two coyotes shadowing us for about half the walk. They stayed 2-300 yards off, but I knew they were smelling both our dogs. I considered lobbing a .45 round or two their way and my wife looked at me and said "no you wont!" Tried to explain to her if given the chance they'd gang up on our dogs etc... Even after 37 years together, she's still a city girl LOL!

The only solace I get after putting one of our pets down is at least they aren't hurting anymore..

Agreed completely with your last sentence.

Chief went downhill rapidly over the weekend. I seriously considered putting him down myself but didn’t trust myself to not eff it up and cause him more pain.

Chief was relaxed and I believe he left us before he vet gave the final euthanasia meds. When I picked him up to bury him is when I truly realized how small he had gotten ... that hurt. I could feel that he was just a shell of his former self ....

Probably have said too much .....

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Agreed completely with your last sentence.

Chief went downhill rapidly over the weekend. I seriously considered putting him down myself but didn’t trust myself to not eff it up and cause him more pain.

Chief was relaxed and I believe he left us before he vet gave the final euthanasia meds. When I picked him up to bury him is when I truly realized how small he had gotten ... that hurt. I could feel that he was just a shell of his former self ....

Probably have said too much .....

No, you can say all you want! It’s good for for the soul.
Yes I get what you said about the difference between your family pet and game. Thank god my wife understands that as well. You still feel a little bit of remorse when taking game but there’s major difference between the two.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
No, you can say all you want! It’s good for for the soul.
Yes I get what you said about the difference between your family pet and game. Thank god my wife understands that as well. You still feel a little bit of remorse when taking game but there’s major difference between the two.

Yup. I say a prayer over every game animal I take prior to taking care of it in the field.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!