Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rarely trust what a dealer tells me. I've been led down the wrong road too many times. Anyone else believe this?
No
I do not believe it. I have - had several wet clutch Hondas that I run Mobil 1 4T Racing, full synthetic with no second thoughts. I wouldn't f around with cheap juice on this one.
20170312 125003

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Only use it in the sub trans, there isn't any transfer between the engine and sub trans oils.

I've only been a Honda Tech for 12 years i would never suggest moly oil in any wet clutch application.
Does a heavy moly oil like the honda hp4m seem to help with the gear whine? Is there something that is honda approved that would? I went to synthetic in the front and rear finals and I cant tell much difference

H

HondaTech

Does a heavy moly oil like the honda hp4m seem to help with the gear whine? Is there something that is honda approved that would? I went to synthetic in the front and rear finals and I cant tell much difference

Are you referring to the noise at idle?
That noise is pretty much unavoidable, since the drive gear is sprung.

Reactions: Remington
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Are you referring to the noise at idle?
That noise is pretty much unavoidable, since the drive gear is sprung.
Thinking more of the noise at speed. Low range seems louder than high, four wheel drive seems worse yet. No change since new so no problems are expected, but if a simple change of oil type would possibly quiet things a bit it would be worth doing. I have a hard time identifying where the noise comes from but i believe it is the sub transmission. Going to synthetic in the finals made no apparent difference.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thinking more of the noise at speed. Low range seems louder than high, four wheel drive seems worse yet. No change since new so no problems are expected, but if a simple change of oil type would possibly quiet things a bit it would be worth doing. I have a hard time identifying where the noise comes from but i believe it is the sub transmission. Going to synthetic in the finals made no apparent difference.
The gear whine in my Talon is painful, even for short distances, ear plugs or muffs are mandatory for me, even with my helmet. Sitting still idling isn't a problem. I'll be trying the moly in my sub tran and synthetic in the diffs after break-in. Do not put the moly in the engine/DCT.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Mine had a horrible gear whine from the front when 4WD was engaged, try changing your tire pressure. The front gear ratio is slightly different, try running 16psi front & 13-14psi rear, it will help. I also changed the front diff oil to Redline Shockproof. The combination of those 2 changes made the noise almost disappear.

FYI, changing to Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil made the front whine worse 🤷‍♂️

hondablimp

hondablimp

Feb 1, 2020
MN
Ownership

1. Talon X
changed my sub trans to honda hp4m , no more bang when shifting to L H or R, this was only a problem cold. whine seems the same, worse at low speed. I do warm up engine before shifting, basically get it off high idle. I dont think the sub trans fluid gets warm sitting still. I have gotten a lot of good info on this site, Thanks

Reactions: Montecresto
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Mine had a horrible gear whine from the front when 4WD was engaged, try changing your tire pressure. The front gear ratio is slightly different, try running 16psi front & 13-14psi rear, it will help. I also changed the front diff oil to Redline Shockproof. The combination of those 2 changes made the noise almost disappear.

FYI, changing to Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil made the front whine worse 🤷‍♂️
Shockproof is good for the sub as well.

Reactions: IDIOT and 906UP
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
What is the capacity of the sub T? I'm lazy.... 🤣

TalonR65

TalonR65

Mar 29, 2020
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have used shock proof in motorcycle trans for years. Excellent results.

B

Bigc2710

Nov 24, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was told by dealer to NOT use full syn because the clutches would start to stick after a few hundred miles. On my unit the shifting noise has really tamed down since the first 150miles have been put on it.

the clutches are not located in the sub trans so that really wouldn’t matter I don’t think

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!