P1000 Hunters: Ways to carry rifles.

Dpc

Dpc

Feb 15, 2016
Louisiana
Building a rifle box... Sealed out of wood. 48"x9"x12" will rhino line outside. Inside all padded and lined with brown felt. Will sit in bed up against front seats much like a toolbox. In building process now...

Image Image

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Great idea!
Put a good weatherstrip or seal on the lid - that swirling dust gets everywhwere.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used Kolpin Ratcheting Rhino Grips, 2 for each gun. Wanted them under the roof and in the front as I'll "seal" it up with a mid panel.

IMG 3272 IMG 3269

Reactions: sharp and HoundDog
Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cabela's 52" TAC Gear UTV Double Gun Case :
I love this case fits two AR's too. Or two rifles with big scopes. Had it for 2 years and so glad i got it.
The brown truck just dropped one off today ! Cabela's has $10 off and free shipping right now. There was enough slack in the mounting straps that I could put it low enough and still see out the rear view mirror.

Reactions: scott
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I used Kolpin Ratcheting Rhino Grips, 2 for each gun. Wanted them under the roof and in the front as I'll "seal" it up with a mid panel.

View attachment 23073 View attachment 23074
how fast is getting guns out?

we have birds in the trail all the time and you dont have much before they take off. i usually just have my rifle and shotgun in the case unzipped on the floor propped up against the seat. i want one of those mounts that stands them up but i dont know if anyone makes mounting for the honda yet

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
how fast is getting guns out?

we have birds in the trail all the time and you dont have much before they take off. i usually just have my rifle and shotgun in the case unzipped on the floor propped up against the seat. i want one of those mounts that stands them up but i dont know if anyone makes mounting for the honda yet

Not fast at all. They are sturdy and hold well, but not for you if you want them quickly. You'd have to keep them out.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I want a floor mount for the front but one that is easily removed when hunting season isn't going on... suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think I want a floor mount for the front but one that is easily removed when hunting season isn't going on... suggestions?

let me know. thats what i want too. i cant find the adapter for honda 1000s

J

JTW

I've got an idea for a gun rack.. I'll share when it's complete!

advertisement
bkduckworth

bkduckworth

Feb 7, 2015
Ownership

1. 700-4
I recently purchased the Cabelas double gun case others have. So far I really like it, and I can get it low enough to see out the rear view mirror.

For quicker access I'd seen where someone mounted a ratcheting rhino grips to the dash and let the stock of the gun rest on the floor. I may try this if the Cabelas case doesn't work out well.

Reactions: scott and joeymt33
wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
For those that have the cabelas gun case. Is there two different compartments for each gun. And is their a pad that is between the two. Just wondering if two guns are in the case how much protection do they have from each other.

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those that have the cabelas gun case. Is there two different compartments for each gun. And is their a pad that is between the two. Just wondering if two guns are in the case how much protection do they have from each other.

It is two separate compartments. The guns go in from opposite ends. Good padding in between. The whole case is pretty well padded.

BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
Ordered the Good day Quickdraw overhead gun & installed this past weekend. A couple of the reviews said it rattled so I did wrap the thread w/ some things insulation I had left over from an a/c job, wrapped that tight w/ electrical tape, no rattle. Feels sturdy, gun season opens Nov/05, 2 mile commute from camp to hunt spot so will be put to test.

IMG 2510 IMG 2502

Reactions: sharp
BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
To add to my previous post. Like the idea of the over head carry, rifles out of the weather & the rear view mirror is not obstructed. Have the soft case that carries 2 rifles from Cabelas as well but obstructs the mirror.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
To add to my previous post. Like the idea of the over head carry, rifles out of the weather & the rear view mirror is not obstructed. Have the soft case that carries 2 rifles from Cabelas as well but obstructs the mirror.
Yeah - that's been bothering me too. I didn't think I needed that visibility but I sure miss it when it's gone.
Looking forward to here how the overhead works out and how clean the gear is after a trip.

Reactions: BlueCollarGuy7007
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordered the Good day Quickdraw overhead gun & installed this past weekend. A couple of the reviews said it rattled so I did wrap the thread w/ some things insulation I had left over from an a/c job, wrapped that tight w/ electrical tape, no rattle. Feels sturdy, gun season opens Nov/05, 2 mile commute from camp to hunt spot so will be put to test.

View attachment 24594 View attachment 24595

I plan to purchase one of these as well.

Reactions: BlueCollarGuy7007
BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
Yeah - that's been bothering me too. I didn't think I needed that visibility but I sure miss it when it's gone.
Looking forward to here how the overhead works out and how clean the gear is after a trip.
W/ out delay I can tell you there will be dust on the rifles, just no doubt - everything gets a coat of dust when driving on the dry dirt roads. W/ that said I do keep the dust covers on my scopes as always when not in the hunt. But they will be better protected than riding in the rifle holders that are on my 4-wheeler as they have for my years of hunting.

BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
Follow up using overhead gun rack. Put the Goodday Quick draw through the paces last weekend from carrying both rifles for the 5 mile round trip to the blind to carrying both rifles during traveling the property to check other sites w/ some rough & challenging terrain. Was pleased w/ the security of the rifles staying put - oh man the dust that covered them. Now in defense w/ it being cooler temps I did close my split windshield & did notice much more dust rolling in from our back for a though dusting of ourselves & all inside the cab. After cleaning the rifles For this weekend attached the Cabellas soft case so as to not repeat but did order the fabric back cover / window. Thinking that will help, if so a worthy $130 investment for the long haul to me.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!