P1000 I-4WD issues

TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jan 28, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I’m not sure what the cable adjustment has to do with the I-4WD issue as I see it only adjusts for turf and 2WD shifting. However they were way out of adjustment anyways and needed to be done. A father I finished (in about 2 minutes I took her for a ride and didn’t even go forward 2 feet when the I-4WD drive light went out. Shifted between drives a few times and all was working well. Soo it is now working properly! Thank you everyone for the tips!! Cheers and I will be looking to see other issues come up to keep my head wrapped around anything that is new and may happen in the field.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I’m not sure what the cable adjustment has to do with the I-4WD issue as I see it only adjusts for turf and 2WD shifting. However they were way out of adjustment anyways and needed to be done. A father I finished (in about 2 minutes I took her for a ride and didn’t even go forward 2 feet when the I-4WD drive light went out. Shifted between drives a few times and all was working well. Soo it is now working properly! Thank you everyone for the tips!! Cheers and I will be looking to see other issues come up to keep my head wrapped around anything that is new and may happen in the field.
I am fairly certain that your issue was due to low battery charge.... that is one of the first things on the easy list...
I added the extra battery just because.... but like you .. my problem was leaving the key on after using the winch for a tie down.....

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is not an I4wd issue.
Its an operator induced dead battery issue
It is pretty well known these side by sides require a good maintained electrical system.

Mine is connected to a battery tender when parked, maintaining both batteries and everything works fine.

Also as said, drive cable adjustment is very sensitive to changing the modes indicated on the dash. I fiddled with mine a few times before I got all modes to display correctly. You tube video helped.

Jim
Just curious, what amp battery tender are you using? I know there has been a lot on the forum that guys have had issues with dual battery and having the blue light on the true battery isolator staying on and the light on the battery tender never going to green. One person posted the use the 4 or 5amp Battery tender but I think most are using the .75amp or 1.25 amp Battery Tenders. Just curious.

Reactions: sharp
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check this out at Amazon.com
Battery Tender 12 Volt Junior Automatic Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S/?tag=sxsweb24-20

No issues with my dual battery setup or tru switch.
These are a low voltage trickle charger.
Either would be fine. The 750 ma is the junior.
My opinion is low voltage charger is best for maintenance.
Jim

Last edited:
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Check this out at Amazon.com
Battery Tender 12 Volt Junior Automatic Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S/?tag=sxsweb24-20

No issues with my dual battery setup or tru switch.
These are a low voltage trickle charger.
Either would be fine. The 750 ma is the junior.
My opinion is low voltage charger is best for maintenance.
Jim

That's the same as I have on the Pk5, Rancher, and lawn mower. Works perfectly.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious, what amp battery tender are you using? I know there has been a lot on the forum that guys have had issues with dual battery and having the blue light on the true battery isolator staying on and the light on the battery tender never going to green. One person posted the use the 4 or 5amp Battery tender but I think most are using the .75amp or 1.25 amp Battery Tenders. Just curious.

I have the 750ma and 5000ma(5amp) the 750 wont keep it charged it stays on unless I ride it every couple days. The 5amp will charge for a short period of time then float then charge and float. I moved the 750 to my ZTR mower.

Edit: The 750 won’t keep the factory battery charged even if I disconnect the second battery and therefore remove all accessories from the equation. The 5amp keep the factory 12/16ahr and a 48ahr optima Charger with accessories drawing a very slight load.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 750ma and 5000ma(5amp) the 750 wont keep it charged it stays on unless I ride it every couple days. The 5amp will charge for a short period of time then float then charge and float. I moved the 750 to my ZTR mower.

Edit: The 750 won’t keep the factory battery charged even if I disconnect the second battery and therefore remove all accessories from the equation. The 5amp keep the factory 12/16ahr and a 48ahr optima Charger with accessories drawing a very slight load.

My thoughts
You have an issue with something draining your batteries that isn't disconnected when the key is off. My 750 ma float charger keeps both batteries up in a short time. Even with the Tru switch.

Think of a wiring circuit as a loop with a gate valve in between, in the flow direction of current to your accessories.
Post some pictures of how you are wired to your tru switch, including grounds.

I have every hot lead going in and out of a switch. I can take a volt meter on both sides of the switch and see power to and nothing coming off, when the switch is off.
Connect the battery tender junior directly to the battery.

I have many others - motorcycles and a car, all on tender juniors with no problems.

Just a thought.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tender SAE 2-Way is hooked straight to main battery.

There’s nothing additional connected to the main battery EXCEPT the battery isolator itself. This was intentional so no accessories could drain the main battery below 12.7. All accessories are connected to a separate secondary electrical system fed off the Optima under the seat. The only accessory connected is the + trigger to the PDM60 from the Dash Aux outlet that turns the PDM60 on when the ignition is on, can’t draw anything if ignition isn’t on to complete the circuit. It’s just a positive voltage trigger anyway not even a relay.

The 750 will float it if it’s been run and plugged in but it cannot catch it up to full charge if it’s been left to sit for a week or more in the winter.

5amp was only maybe $10 more, I can plug it in and listen to the Wetsounds bar and it will float the Optima while it’s playing.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
JR works fine on mower or tractor, I can top off batteries with it, I usually use the 5amp because it’s quicker, but there’s a small draw on the Pioneers somewhere that will pull down a battery.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
More discussion on my part is needed. Although I have a tender junior x2 hooked up to each battery, ( just anal)one will charge both through the tru Isolator in minimal time.
I ride all weekend, plug in to 750 ma charger and both batts are charged in less than 2 hours.
I've added a frame ground and used the OEM ground for my winch.

Best of luck
Jim

Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That's very odd. I don't have my second battery installed yet and therefore and using the 750 on it now and charges it just fine. In fact, I use the 750 on my Duramax diesel truck that has 2 batteries in the winter so I don't wear the batteries out and it's only hooked to one battery and it charges both truck batteries just fine. When it finally goes green in stays green. And we have brutally cold winters in Buffalo NY. In total I have 9 Battery Tender juniors. Like Dirtstiffs-1000 I'm anal with Battery Tenders.

Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Have you ever had the battery tested? You might have a one cell that's dead in the battery. It won't render the battery complete dead but can cause the issues your speaking of.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you ever had the battery tested? You might have a one cell that's dead in the battery. It won't render the battery complete dead but can cause the issues your speaking of.
Both batteries have been tested and exceed specs actually.

That's very odd. I don't have my second battery installed yet and therefore and using the 750 on it now and charges it just fine. In fact, I use the 750 on my Duramax diesel truck that has 2 batteries in the winter so I don't wear the batteries out and it's only hooked to one battery and it charges both truck batteries just fine. When it finally goes green in stays green. And we have brutally cold winters in Buffalo NY. In total I have 9 Battery Tender juniors. Like Dirtstiffs-1000 I'm anal with Battery Tenders.
No idea I've used it on several motorcycles and mowers over the years with no issues, may not be putting out 750 but since they were all old school with no electronics it was enough? No good way to test it.

Reactions: Chevy412SP
Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Both batteries have been tested and exceed specs actually.

No idea I've used it on several motorcycles and mowers over the years with no issues, may not be putting out 750 but since they were all old school with no electronics it was enough? No good way to test it.
I'm all out of ideas, was a thought.

C

Curt1976

Aug 9, 2021
Hallsville TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Howdy All! My first major issue on my 2018 1000-5 LE. Not sure if anyone is able to help out with this:
I went Hunting week before Last in normal operating conditions down in the hill country, actually probably never went over 15 mph. Weather was awesome, Dry conditions, no dogging the machine.
Everything worked like a charm, after loading up on Sunday in the enclosed trailer, I typically use the winch as a safety backup tie off with just a bit of tension, I turned the key on and spooled it out and hooked to the tie down eye in center. Of course I was busy with other things also and forgot to turn the key off. A few days later when I had time I was going to start it up and u load but battery was dead. I put the charger on it overnight and started it up next morning. As I drove across the yard to shop I noticed front wheels pulling the steering hard to the left. I stopped and then noticed the I-4WD light on. I shifted to turf but light continued to stay on, the pulling on front end stopped so apparently 4WD disengaged. I pulled the cables from battery thinking it might reset the issue but no luck. Checked all grounds I could think of and lights, fuses, wiring etc.
does anyone have any info or had this issue before. Any Ideas before I bring it in to shop and get hash tagged by Honda..?
Thanks in advance!
Just putting this out here for new people with the same issues. I rode mine all weekend in the mountains without a flaw. Once I was home and unloaded I noticed the I4wd light on but was in turf mode. I drove it around switching thru every setting but nothing worked. It would show turf, 2wd, and I4wd and all functioned correct, the light just stayed on. Read a lot about this on these forums and the internet but decided to ride it some more today. This is what fixed the light in my situation, whatever it was. I put it in I4wd and sport mode, put the skinny petal on the floor and once I hit second gear the light went off and has stayed off. Maybe a glitch for me but may work for someone else and save lots of frustration.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Just putting this out here for new people with the same issues. I rode mine all weekend in the mountains without a flaw. Once I was home and unloaded I noticed the I4wd light on but was in turf mode. I drove it around switching thru every setting but nothing worked. It would show turf, 2wd, and I4wd and all functioned correct, the light just stayed on. Read a lot about this on these forums and the internet but decided to ride it some more today. This is what fixed the light in my situation, whatever it was. I put it in I4wd and sport mode, put the skinny petal on the floor and once I hit second gear the light went off and has stayed off. Maybe a glitch for me but may work for someone else and save lots of frustration.
When in doubt, throttle out! Praise Dale, raise hell

J

Jon63ill

Feb 7, 2021
St louis
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own

3. Big Red
we got a lot of snow and finally got to use 4 wheel mode going to work. Mine pulls also in 4x4 mode. Both limited slip 4x4 and 4x4 lock. 2 whee lock and turf no pull. Did you ever get that issue resolved?

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!