are you using the Unifilter like I asked about
At the start of this post ?

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Can someone tell me Which 2 pod /double layer Unifilter will give me the best fit using a 2 in Fernco and 2 inch PVC pipe ?

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Are you using a Unifilter as a Pre filter for the Dusty Conditions that I started this thread about ?
No unifilter. Just the stock filter. It is dusty where I'm at but so far it has not been a problem.

Reactions: Bcraig
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Question for those who use a prefilter on your Snorkle,Preferably a Unifilter.

Does the Fernco 2x2 coupler go directly into the unifilter or does the PVC pipe go Into the Unifilter ?
In looking ae several Unifilters it seems to me that if the PVC pipe itself goes into the Unilter that I might need to Match the ID of the Unifilter with the OD of the PVC pipe.

The OD of the 2 inch PVC pipe is 2.375 inch and 60.325 mm right ?
Whether the PVC pipe Goes directly into the Unifilter or the Fernco fitting goes into the Unifilter pre filter do I need to match the OD of the Fernco goes into the Prefilter I suppose I need to match it as closely as I can for a tight fit ?

Given the choice of going slightly over size in fit or slightly undersize in fit which would you choose ?

Also I see that there are 4 inch long Unilters and 6 inch long unifilters,close the the same ID.
Is the 6 inch long filter going to provide more and better air filtration or merely more constriction ?

Hib

Hib

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2021
Far N.E. Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
Crickets now ? Lol
Chirp chirp. I'm not mocking you, but I think you're over thinking this. Spend 20 bucks or so for some pvc, piece it together and you'll be good to go. Buy the filter and not what makes you happy send it back. Either way no filter or not it will work and do it's intended purpose.;)

s

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah it's one of the cheapest and easiest mods you can do. Cutting the factory pipe in a good location is the only really important part. Like someone else said, dry fit everything and mark your connections with a sharpie for alignment. Then you just glue it up and paint it. Even if you butcher it, you're out $20, go get some more pipe. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: JayPo and 500oneer
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah it's one of the cheapest and easiest mods you can do. Cutting the factory pipe in a good location is the only really important part. Like someone else said, dry fit everything and mark your connections with a sharpie for alignment. Then you just glue it up and paint it. Even if you butcher it, you're out $20, go get some more pipe. 🤷‍♂️
id almost suggest flex PVC but then we would be into bend radius, etc......:(.

Last edited:
advertisement
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Chirp chirp. I'm not mocking you, but I think you're over thinking this. Spend 20 bucks or so for some pvc, piece it together and you'll be good to go. Buy the filter and not what makes you happy send it back. Either way no filter or not it will work and do it's intended purpose.;)

s
Well ,I dont think that I am over thinking this at all.

I have always believed in the 5 P's
Proper planning prevents poor performance.

Getting the pieces right the first time will mean that I dont have to spend time and money to make a 45 mile round trip to get what I needed in the first place.

For example I recently watched a video by AppalachianMountainRiders on youtube in which he says that he had to use a
2x1-1/2 Fernco fitting as the 2x2 fitting was to big to clamp down on the Pipe.

I would not have thought to have gotten the 2x1-1/2 inch Fernco had I not known which is why I have been asking all the questions that I can.

It appears that just getting 2x2 Fernco's and 2 inch PVC pipe will not allow the connection to the air intake tube ,I will say that I was planning on cutting the tube closer to the end right behind the drivers seat and perhaps the pipe is bigger there than where he cut it.

While you may be satisfied with just a snorkel and not a prefilter, I want a Prefilter on the end of the snorkel which is why I am asking so many questions about which Unifilter would be best to use.

Thanks

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Like I have said I was planning on cutting the Pipe relatively close to where the pipe meets the end with the snap on cover.
Although I could change my mind and cut it where AppalachianMountainRiders cut it .

To me the prefilter at the end of the snorkel is important too as that is the main reason why I am putting together a snorkel,
to get the air intake up higher away from the dust created from the wheels into a better spot under the roof and to use the best prefiltering that I can in addition to the Factory Filter.

Which is why I am asking so many questions about the Unifilter selection.

I figure if I ask the right question's and get the right answers ,then I wont be out $20.00 extra for some more pipe.

I mean 20 bucks is not that big of a deal BUT with the wasted 20 bucks I can Put more gas in it,I can buy My Momma a Nice fish dinner .anything is better than just opening the door and throwing a 20 dollar bill away.
In addition I dont have a home depot right down the street so time and trouble and gas money for the close to 50 mile roundtrip.

I find that as I get older that I do less an less thing's using the by guess by golly method and would rather do things the right way the first time.

Thanks

Reactions: trigger
silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Bcraig - the Fernco coupler is a pliable rubber material, the Unifilter mounting base is a pliable rubber material - you are not going to be able to clamp pliable rubber to pliable rubber. The Fernco coupler is for the factory intake tube to PVC pipe connection. The Unifilter will slip over the PVC and secure with a clamp.

With this in mind then- your post #26 above: go with the slightly larger ID on the filter since it is pliable rubber and you are holding it in place with a band clamp. It will also make it easier to take off for cleaning and put back on, rather than fighting the interference fit of a slightly smaller ID filter base.

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Bcraig - the Fernco coupler is a pliable rubber material, the Unifilter mounting base is a pliable rubber material - you are not going to be able to clamp pliable rubber to pliable rubber. The Fernco coupler is for the factory intake tube to PVC pipe connection. The Unifilter will slip over the PVC and secure with a clamp.

With this in mind then- your post #26 above: go with the slightly larger ID on the filter since it is pliable rubber and you are holding it in place with a band clamp. It will also make it easier to take off for cleaning and put back on, rather than fighting the interference fit of a slightly smaller ID filter base.
Thank’s,I will keep that in mind.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!