DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The problem is the gearing. With just a 3 speed, 1st gear is taller than any other machine. The torque converters' torque multiplication effect covers this on acceleration and pulling, but i can't do anything while decelerating. It's much like riding and older manual quad in 3rd or 4th: There IS engine braking, but its through higher gearing than we would normally try and use for this purpose.

This is the same reason there have always been those who insist that the Rincon/Big Red needs a low range. It simply feels too high geared like a manual shift auto clutch running a gear too high...yet that's how the torque converter works, but it feels very different from other machines that have low mechanical gearing. Google BR pulling and find the one where it's pulling 6000lbs!

Polaris riders are used to having none, or just having ( too much, according to some ) to the rear wheels. I think we will get used to it with time.

EDIT: How torque converters work. Pay particular attention to the torque multiplication part...
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/torque-converter.htm

W

wilyrockstar

Jul 23, 2013
My Pioneer 4 was pushed back to the 6th from the 28th in Upper Michigan.

H

harleyrose

Sep 2, 2013
Re: I bought a 2 seat pioneer

I received my pioneer on Saturday August 31. I live in Braxton County WV. I've ridden it on several different types of terrain. Engine braking is not very effective on down hill trails at slow speeds. Shifting is rough and it sometimes seems to shift at the wrong times. Compared to my Kawasaki Mule the pioneer seems to have a rougher ride on the same terrain, my wife doesn't agree about the ride. I'm very happy with the price the look of the machine and the top speed of 45mph. It's also a Honda so I know it's a good machine. It also has an occasional clunk in the rear end. Steering is not bad but power steering would be nice.

H

harleyrose

Sep 2, 2013
Just wanted to say our dealership in Flatwoods, WV treated us great. Would highly recommend them.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
harleyrose said:
Just wanted to say our dealership in Flatwoods, WV treated us great. Would highly recommend them.
Sweet... Glad you picked one up. You will love it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
tbaker said:
the piece I am talking about where we scraped the skin on our knee is made of plastic I don't know if grinding it down would look good. I will try to post some pictures but this is right where the door is bolted on in side the cab you will find it the first couple of times you get in and out if you are wearing a pair of shorts that's why I thought about putting a rubber piece on this. I am working night shift the rest of the weekend so don't have alot of time to check on stuff but next week hope to hit the woods.
[album]386[/album]
Talking about that edge right there... It is petty sharp. But some sand paper should round it off fairly well.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
I'd bet honda has seen this comment and is already addressing the issue. Thanks for the heads-up! These kinds of info sharing is what makes this site so helpful.

C

coker23346

May 27, 2013
Just got a call, my pioneer 4 is in and be ready next Tuesday.....yahoo!!!

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Brought my 700-4 home tonight, glad that the wait is over.
I've got half of my parts, no telling how long the others will take. In due time, I'll install the glass windshield, the full roof and the A-Arm guards after I get them back from the powder coating company.
Pic's tomorrow in the daylight!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the dealer I have been working with FINALLY got 2 in!

In the wrong color...... (for me)I want a green 4 and they had Red 4 and Green 2. Drove both, I don't see the issue with engine braking seemed to work well. I let off and the engine would break just like my car, maybe I was doing something wrong. Got it to 45 on the speedo and it was tapping the rev limiter. Tracked well no wandering especially in 4LOCK. Great suspension didn't check to bumpstops but absorbed a 4" parking divider at @20 mph. Only complaint is it should be a 4 speed due to it hitting the rev limiter not a speed limiter.

B

brando4905

Sep 10, 2013
Marion, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey folks! I got my Pioneer 2 on Monday from Shroader's Honda in Hendersonville, NC. It's a red one. I almost pulled the trigger on a mid sized Ranger.... so glad I didn't, this Honda is bad a** !! Traded in my TRX400FGA and I don't miss it at all.

B

brando4905

Sep 10, 2013
Marion, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For anyone looking for a red Pioneer 4, Shroader's (as of Mon.) had one.

L

Lee 2

Sep 8, 2013
Picked up my green Pioneer 2 this evening. It was the first 2 seat my dealer had received. Only got to take a short ride around the neighborhood but it was enough to see the machine has plenty of power. Had a moment of concern when I was loading it onto my trailer to bring home. My 5 foot wide trailer is NOT wide enough for the Pioneer.... unless you let about half the air out of both tires on one side of the machine. Then you can get it on the trailer but the tires will rub on the side rails some when driving it onto trailer. At least the wheels do not touch. Looks like I may be in the market for a 5.5 or 6 foot wide trailer, although 6 foot trailers are a pain to tow.

B

brando4905

Sep 10, 2013
Marion, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ran into sort of the same issue with my trailer. It's 5'x10' but the width actually measures 61", the Pioneer is 60". She's tight!!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
brando4905 said:
I ran into sort of the same issue with my trailer. It's 5'x10' but the width actually measures 61", the Pioneer is 60". She's tight!!
What did you have to do to make it fit on yours?

Attachments

• IMG_4376.jpg
    IMG_4376.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_4380.jpg
    IMG_4380.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 177
B

brando4905

Sep 10, 2013
Marion, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't have to do anything but make sure I had the Pioneer completely square to the trailer before heading up the ramp. Had to back down the trailer ramp a few times and reposition to get straight. Half inch of clearance on either side. Very close. All trailers are a little different, I think I just got lucky that my 5x10 is actually 61" wide.

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
Going to pick up my red 4 tomorrow! Finally the day has come

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
brando4905 said:
I didn't have to do anything but make sure I had the Pioneer completely square to the trailer before heading up the ramp. Had to back down the trailer ramp a few times and reposition to get straight. Half inch of clearance on either side. Very close. All trailers are a little different, I think I just got lucky that my 5x10 is actually 61" wide.
Yeah...i have a 5x8 and was hoping it would fit with the gate off. Mine is also about 61" up front. Strangely, toward the rear the rails are about 59.5", but i think this was caused by my using tie-downs and the rails are just tweaked in a little. May hi-lift jack 'em back out a bit.

D

david

Aug 28, 2013
I am picking up my Pioneer Red 700-4 tomorrow in Brookhaven, Ms. My son is excited since it is for him.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!