ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just picked up my Red-4 from Pelham Power Sports.

They have a Green 2 and there is another Red 4 at Custom Performance Honda in Bessemer, AL

Will be posting pics as the accessories arrive.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up having to buy a 6.5'x 12' trailer but was able to pick up my Pioneer this morning...not the color I wanted I think I am going to coat the Red plastic with roll on Herculiner.

Have the roof, Bed Liner and glass Windshield on order.

Going to buy the fabric front and rear doors, mid panel and fabric rear panel.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 793
R

randi 58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-3
got my 700-4 in green today . in ind.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Seems like Honda took forever to get these Pioneer's out, now they're showing up in force!

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hello my fellow Pioneer Pioneers. Sorry it has taken so long to report my impressions of my 4seat Pioneer, but that should tell you something. My initial ride was saturday of Labor Day Weekend. I left my cabin in WV at 6:30am with 1.8 miles. My son and I took turns driving across three different systems of the Hatfield McCoy ATV trails. We got on the highway for about two hours (legal there with seat belts and D.O.T. approved helmets) during a downpour thunderstorm, then got back on the trails after supper and got back to the cabin just before 9. We were supposed to be off the trail before dark, and though it was an honest mistake, we broke that rule for a little while. The day ended with the Pioneer back on the truck and her tach showing around 133 miles. The wrench symbol was flashing for the last couple hours of my trip because that one ride went +30 miles past the recommendation for initial service and maintenance check. That's how you break one in, huh?
I don't have a test track, I don't own sensors to measure centrifugal force, measure impact force, or measure anything other than it is barely narrow enough to fit my 5 by 14 trailer, but I can break it down for you in a way us mere mortals might understand. After 14 hours in the Pioneer this middle-aged, over-weight, bald guy with a very bad back woke up the next day and put 11 hours of four wheeler riding in and my 14 year old son asked me to slow down.
The extra suspension travel over the Big Red made a Big difference on the trail. I had a Prowler xt with more travel inches but the Pioneer was much more comfortable. I encountered a switchback turn with a big gulley down the inside track just as a pair of brand new Wildcats were going around it. Both Wild cats had to go into reverse twice and both reached a point in the turn when one tire came off the ground. I had to use reverse three times and there was a point when I rocked on two wheels, but I also made the turn. Granted, I could have used power steering then, but 133 miles and I pined for EPS maybe 3 times, and the Wildcats handled that turn better, but they cost nearly twice as much and those two could only haul half as many people as mine, and they were designed to ride trails like that and nothing else. On that same trail (pinnacle creek 26) I stayed on a group of Razers for a couple miles and could have continued to but I bounced the cooler over and had to stop and strap it back down.
The day did reveal a couple concerns. After riding in the mud for a bit, the brakes started making a bad screeching noise on long steep downhill sections requiring alot of braking. I informed the techs during the initial maintenance trip. They told me there was alot of mud in the front brakes and around the cv boots. We cleaned it out and the noise is gone. Also during a long day of riding the seat belt rubbing across my neck and shoulder became uncomfortable, a pair of those shoulder belt pads would fix it and they are cheap. Also, on long fast downhill sections, the engine brake can conflict with throttle response and cause some hard upshifts. I found I could either use the brake and slow down to match gear speed or just coast out the hill until it slows on its own before hitting the throttle and I could then get a smooth gear change.
Since the big ride I have also had my split windshield and hard roof installed. Now, along with the standard doors and window nets i feel protected from all the brush, briars, and branches as well as all but the worst downpours. I have ridden in a light rain since the install and I stayed completely dry. But, since others have said they ordered there windshields and roofs already, I feel I need to report that the engine noise inside the cab is way louder once those are added. I don't want to mislead you by understating this, I like the protection from the elements, but it is really a lot louder with the roof and windshield installed.
Bottom line: I am happy with my decision. Forget about price even though I'd have to geta 500 Kymco to get one cheaper, look at this.
1. If I am just going to trail ride I can get a Razer. But my Pioneer kept up pretty good with them and I have a better transmission.
2. If I just want the coolest looking ride I can get a Wildcat. But my Pioneer looks like a Camaro SS yet works like a Mack Truck.
3. If I just want a 2 seat work vehicle I can stick with my Big Red. But my Pioneer still has the same hauling and towing ratings.
4. If I want a family car for the trails I can buy a Teryx. But honestly, even in just that one role my Pioneer is better.
5. I could by a Yamaha Viking if I wanted to...well I'll try to get back to you on that one.
The real point is what I have been saying has proven itself to be true, the Pioneer is the best Side by Side on the market because of the sum of it's parts. It does everything and it does evrything well. I have heard the Swiss Army Knife comparison but I disagree. The Swiss Army knife does lots of things, but does not do them very well, so eventually Leatherman came along and made the All-Tool so consumers can have one tool that does a great job at lots of different tasks. Honda decided to skip the Swiss Army knife stage of UTV progression and went straight into the Leatherman All-Tool of side by sides. And now you can remember the part about getting all of this for less money than nearly every other UTV out there.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
All week I been like... Where is Bugnbrian.. Glad you did not take a "WRONG TURN" up in WV and never be heard from again.

Dude... Thanks for the recap of your weekend. Looks like you had a blast. And I see you loving your Pioneer.
Aint it fun to get stuck out on the trail in the middle of a rain storm. I love it, especially when your shelter is 30 miles away. Been there, done that... But be careful, the creeks fill up fast in W.V. and if you are caught on the wrong side you best go ahead an build a Beer Grylls shelter cause you staying the night.

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
HondaSxS, I did make a few wrong turns, and it was one of those kind of rains. But Bear Gryls says, "Just go for it." actually he says it like it is one word,"justgofurritt!" My call of the wild in those situations is more of a,"HELP! HELLLPP!"
I used to be bad, now I am just bald.
Hey, The Tomahawk newspaper out of Mountain City, TN recently had an article stating that the county mayor's office was selling Doe Mountain Trail permits in preparation for a soft opening in November or December. I am going to try them Monday. If it is a go, we will have to get together and try out the new trail. A big Honda side by side ride would be a great way to support a new UTV, new trail system, and a first year web site for Honda enthusiasts. Huh?!? Think about it?

Ain't it awesome reading posts from all these people that waited so long and are finally getting their machines!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Bugnbrian said:
Hey, The Tomahawk newspaper out of Mountain City, TN recently had an article stating that the county mayor's office was selling Doe Mountain Trail permits in preparation for a soft opening in November or December.
Sounds like there are some new trails in my old neck of the woods. Figures they'd wait until i was long gone...
I used to ride Callalantee in Mtn Cty a few times a year.

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
DG Rider said:
Bugnbrian said:
Hey, The Tomahawk newspaper out of Mountain City, TN recently had an article stating that the county mayor's office was selling Doe Mountain Trail permits in preparation for a soft opening in November or December.
Sounds like there are some new trails in my old neck of the woods. Figures they'd wait until i was long gone...
I used to ride Callalantee in Mtn Cty a few times a year.
DG Rider, make that trip again. Ride in TN then ski in NC. I believe once the town sees a real influx of income from Doe Mountain, they will make a move to re-open Callalantee. Money talks as they say.

M

motorman587

Sep 12, 2013
Got mine.................

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 689
W

wilyrockstar

Jul 23, 2013
!
motorman587 said:
Got mine.................

AWESOME! I am hoping to find some mud with mine this weekend

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No mud but a short clip....YouTube is giving me problems it is a 1080p video until I upload it.

-----Admin edit-----
Embedded video.

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
Nice clip. Nice trails. I removed that ugly warning placard mid dash as well..just have to find some nice black allen bolts to fill the holes

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's our land we bought a small farm the clip starts at the back corner and ends in the middle about where our house will be.
The trees laying down will be moved as soon as break in period is over, bought this think to WORK.

The UGLY placard is in the trash, I am having a local plastic company that does a lot of work for me commercially cut out a HDPE plate on their waterjet with 8 switch holes, a voltmeter and hole for the volume control for this.... http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRMP3A-4-C ... auto_img_z
May not use all the switches at first but be cleaner than me trying to do it with a dremel.

I was going to rivet it back just like it was factory but I like your idea of Allen screws may see what I can find in stainless.

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
Ohanacreek, your land looks like a slice of heaven...nice. Your switch plate idea is really smart, I may have to do the same thing eventually, if you don't patent the idea first. When folks tell me what a great idea that was, I'll say," thanks, I'm just smart like that." ha ha. Seriously though, if you want to pull those trees into a pile, build a small cabin with them, and then sell the cabin and a small lot of land to a fellow Pioneer rider...please, let ME know.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Brian ... Not for sale !

If I get mine made and you like I will give you their info and all they have to do is cut another.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I also thought about the placard sitting front and center. I agree that it's Fugly, but if anyone has ideas about mounting anything in that space, do yourself a favor and inspect the underside. I lifted the hood cover to find the linkages for the shifter on the under side of the plate. I'm sure in a case by case basis, something may fit, but it would be close.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked, switches and shallow gauges are fine. You won't mount a radio or anything there though.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
ohanacreek said:
Thanks Brian ... Not for sale !

If I get mine made and you like I will give you their info and all they have to do is cut another.
I want one... Lol. That place card has got to go. Good place for switches.
Who can reach the honda switch kit location way over there... No, I want be buying that kit.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!