P1000 If you ever had to do it again, what would you do differently?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Any way you can post a link to the one you used? I've considered going this route but haven't decided which brand to get.
Been that route, even insulated the rear running boards. And when summer would get here, I would realize it was still too hot. I had the switch panel and wire, bought a switch and 10 inch fan for under the seat, $ 60.00 for both, now it's really fixed. The insulation helped but on hot days, wasn't enough.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure if ive ever posted in this thread before. But if I had it to do over again......I'd start with a bigger inventory of tubing laying around lol.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I already have a fan. It helps but I would like a little more. Plus I really want my cab to be quieter too.
I copied @JTW on the fan, 10 inch fan blowing across the exhaust header pipes out the back, no ducting. The drivers side panel between the back and seat are the same temp as the outside air?, in August
Not sure if ive ever posted in this thread before. But if I had it to do over again......I'd start with a bigger inventory of tubing laying around lol.
So now you are into tubing??? HA!

Reactions: JTW
hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I copied @JTW on the fan, 10 inch fan blowing across the exhaust header pipes out the back, no ducting. The drivers side panel between the back and seat are the same temp as the outside air?, in August
I have an 8 inch and it was OK before the Honda "heat fix" was put on now it seems like it got worse. Do you still have the insulation on yours?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have an 8 inch and it was OK before the Honda "heat fix" was put on now it seems like it got worse. Do you still have the insulation on yours?
Have you checked the angle of the dangle on your fan, makes no since????????

Reactions: CumminsPusher
hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you checked the angle of the dangle on your fan, makes no since????????
I may try to tweak the direction the fan is blowing. It was a cheap fan from Amazon but it seems to blow pretty strong. I'm not going to worry about till the spring though. The heat will be nice when I'm headed to my tree stand in the snow!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
I already have a fan. It helps but I would like a little more. Plus I really want my cab to be quieter too.

These really help on those hot summer days. Heat shield under the seat is a must. Bilge-exhaust fan blowing air back between the header and engine is also a must in my opinion. Most windshields will seriously affect air and dust flow. I hate to sweat unnecessarily.
IMG 0128

Cal

Cal

Apr 15, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I work for a John Deere dealer and last year I committed the ultimate sin. I traded my RSX Sport Gator in on a P1-5K. I've found the same to be true on all SxS models that I've owned or that have come through our dealer. If you don't want dust in the cab you MUST have a rear window and a roof. The rear window and roof are more important than anything when it comes to dust.

My P1-5K has a Honda split front windshield and a Honda roof. I bought a soft rear cover kit from Over Amor Offroad that includes soft rear door, soft mid-window, and a soft rear window. I installed the soft rear window for the summer and the rest will go on soon for the winter. Closing the rear window off made a HUGE (YUGE) improvement in dust control. With the front windshield on it adds positive airflow in the cab so dust doesn't come in as easily. When hot in the summer I remove the front windshield entirely and leave the roof and the soft rear window. This way it actually pushes dust and hot air out of the cab. I like this soft window because it just unzips and rolls up when I want it out of the way for any other purpose. I really like mine and Honda makes a nice soft rear window as well.

It was the same on my Deere and the other models that my friends own. A rear window is a MUST!

V

vogel3d

Oct 2, 2017
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had the back window weather seals on the doors. Still a complete dust storm. Have a general now hopefully it's as reliable,. I know it's way faster, quieter, smoother riding and waaay cleaner .Wish I wouldn't have made the mistake with the honda first.

IMG 0116

Reactions: Springer
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would have got the base model instead of deluxe. Paid extra for wheels and tires which I switched, body panels are cheap, and LED bulbs are cheap.

Would clean up wiring a little better, go with super ATV windshield, 30x10 tires instead of 29. skid plate on first. Bumper with top winch mount.. skid plate on first thing. Fox Shocks on early

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Had the back window weather seals on the doors. Still a complete dust storm. Have a general now hopefully it's as reliable,. I know it's way faster, quieter, smoother riding and waaay cleaner .Wish I wouldn't have made the mistake with the honda first.

View attachment 93794
Not trying to cause trouble, but I agree

20171228 204420

Reactions: vogel3d
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

View attachment 93794
That’s a very pretty limo. It’s surprising with that extra length that wouldn’t get through any of our real trails here that my whole family still couldn’t ride in it.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This being my first SXS I'm completely happy it's a Honda! Almost 3000 miles with no problems and the short wheel base with the ability to haul 5 people is awesome. I would change a couple of my rookie mistakes....
My first mess up was the aftermarket tires. They were to heavy and not quiet aggressive enough. That has since been corrected.
Second I would have chopped the top before I bought a soft cab enclosure. That to is about to be addressed, it goes in next week for the chop.
Anyone interested in a cab, lol.
Throughout the whole process of building the Pioneer to my likings I've had a blast and happy with how its turned out.

Last edited:
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I had a do over I would buy a 3 seater Pioneer 1000 and not a 5 seater. Back seats for me are not useable due to heat and dust.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the process of doing it again right now on my new rig. I'll try to post progression pictures if I remember. lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!