tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I just received it yesterday and I am just playing with it as it sits on my desk. It will be a big learning curve before I understand what it will do.
A couple of first impressions;
-- it is a big unit measuring about 7 1/2 x 3.75 inches and is 1.75" thick. (19 X 9 X 4.5 cm) and weighs nearly 1 pound (450 g). If I had intended to use it only as a handheld unit I would have been disappointed.
-- the buttons (it is not touchscreen) are small, but spaced far apart; I will be able to navigate through its screens while wearing winter gloves.
--the screen is very bright and should be good in bright sunlight.
--it will not need an external antenna. While sitting on my desk 10 feet away from a window it is picking up signals from more than 16 satellites.
-- the bail mount is very robust. The unit snaps into it but there is a set screw that can be used to ensure that it will not jiggle out

There is a disk about .375 (9mm) in thick and 2.75" (70mm) diameter that is to be attached with 3 round headed screws to the P500. The bail mount is then attached to this disc with a 1/4" knob headed bolt. I have not yet decided where I will mount this disc but it may go on the door of the box. I intend to use this for my P500 and in a boat so if I can buy or make another disc I can transfer it quickly to a boat. This GARMIN will be a great temptation to thieves and as I use my bike as a daily driver to get around the village I will not keep this GARMIN in my P500 except when venturing in unknown areas in the bush so I can find my way home.
I will not be wiring this unit in; the lithium-ion battery is supposed to last up to 14 hours and when it dies I can use 3 AA batteries for an additional 8 hours. I will never use the Serial Data or Audio connections.

The only disappointment is the BirdsEye Satellite Imagery. The images were taken on an overcast day so there is limited detail. I don't know how often the images are updated but I have 12 months before my subscription expires to reload it. I am hoping to get images taken on a clear day in the winter when the tree canopy is at the minimum. The marine BlueChart g2 Vision HD looks great and should get me safely through the shoal infested waters of The North Channel of Lake Huron this summer.

Reactions: ctom99

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!