Important info regarding clutch update program.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about the guinea pigs who have already spent hundreds on replacing burnt clutches? Are they just SOL? I'd one p***ed off dude if I paid to have my clutches replaced.

I hear you but I think the important thing for all of us is that Honda stepped up with a fix. We all know that buying any newly released platform has its risks. I am just glad they are doing something about it. I have not paid for out of pocket clutch repairs so that is pretty easy to say tho

B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
Quick question? I do NOT have the extended warranty, my 1 year expires in Dec 2017. If my clutch goes out after Dec will Honda pay for the repair? I assume "NO" but just asking.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Quick question? I do NOT have the extended warranty, my 1 year expires in Dec 2017. If my clutch goes out after Dec will Honda pay for the repair? I assume "NO" but just asking.
Good question. And sadly, your dealer probably doesn't know for sure either. Maybe ask them to sign an affidavit stating that they promise to perform the update when parts are available and scheduling time permits, and if your clutches burn during that time, they will honor the update including slipping clutches even if past warranty expiration date.

Reactions: sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What about the guinea pigs who have already spent hundreds on replacing burnt clutches? Are they just SOL? I'd be one p***ed off dude if I paid to have my clutches replaced.
Honda has been replacing all clutches that were burnt. Those who bought out of pocket chose not to go through the dealer or didn't want to wait for Honda to approve their replacements or the dealer was not helping you as they should be.

Every case will be different. Getting this "update" done does not include clutches. That is a separate claim that can be arranged at the same time if your dealer is on page. Yes, it may extend the timeline some.

As for clutches after the 1 year warranty. A expressful understanding voice can accomplish a lot. A forcefully threatening voice want get far with your dealer or Honda.

We have seen clutches replaced outside the warranty piorid without the extended warranty as well.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
I bought mine from Southern PowerSports in Tenn. as they had the best price. I never test drove it. When I got home from Tenn. the buggy had 1.5 miles on it with a bad clutch. At the time Honda and my local dealer refused to warranty my clutch on a brand new machine. That's why I was asking about after the year if the update would still be done.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hum...
That doesn't sound right.
Even the first ever report that showed up here back in late 2015 or early 2016 was covered.
Many of us were disbelieving. I think even Honda was disbelieving for a few. But it was covered.

Reactions: sharp and adnoh
B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
Sorry, it did happen. I even cancelled and they refunded the extended warranty" Not a Honda Warranty" that the selling dealer sold me because it also said clutches were not covered. They did say to bring it back and they would fix but I was not willing to drive another 12hours to drop off, 12 back home and repeat.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
2 issues here seems like. 1. Your local dealer basically told you to kick rocks since you went out of your way to not buy from them. Which is on the dealer. I doubt they ever even called honda corporate. 2. You got duped into an aftermarket "warranty", which is on you.

B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
1- I think that is also what happened. So I agree my fault.
2-The dealer in Tn told me they only sell their Aftermarket Warranty, not Honda's. So yes my fault.

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1- I think that is also what happened. So I agree my fault.
2-The dealer in Tn told me they only sell their Aftermarket Warranty, not Honda's. So yes my fault.

I feel for you, I have had my share of bad experiences with dealers, my local dealer Hall's Powersports and Southern Honda in Chattanooga were two of them. I only go local if I absolutely HAVE to and I take the service manual and have the parts fisch pulled up on my tablet, so I get the right part. They don't know and they don't care enough to do anything but sell you something.

I tried to buy a machine local and from Southern but they wanted to deal NONE, full MSRP on everything and like you said ONLY a 3rd party warranty.

Honda of Chattanooga, gave me exactly what I wanted at a price I could respect (I wanted free they wanted to make money).
Much easier to deal with and my clutch update is scheduled for Early December.

I am sure there are other good dealers out there but they are the one I have experience with.

Reactions: Hawkeye
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What dealer Boatman? I have been using Cycle Shack by you in Conroe with good results so far.

B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
I have not been able to work with CycleShack in Conroe. I'll just keep fixing mine as things happen.

H

HondaTech

Aftermarket warranties are a joke, just ask any Polaris owner. HPP is the the only true extended warranty backed by a powersports manufacturer. It a Honda selling you the extension and making the decisions.

Tradertrent

Tradertrent

Lifetime Member
Apr 7, 2017
MONTANA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As ya'll know, I am new here.II have spent most of my time on this site reading and learning from other folks, but I have to let you know what my wife and I have experienced. No Clutch Issues and we do have the Heat Issue. We are coming upon our first year of ownership with our Honda and she is bone stock. There are two things we do with her. 1) Work and 2) The occasional 60 mile round trip on the Wild Bill OHV trail to go to lunch over in Lakeside. We skid logs, we haul firewood and slash and as you can see by my avatar, we PLOW snow. That is a 6' Moose plow and last winter, we averaged 3' of static snow. Not once did I have a problem with the clutch nor the power plowing our .5 mile driveway. I do all of the plowing and the wife, pretty much does all the other driving. We only use low range whether in Turf, 2WD, 4WD or Lock when working or plowing. We are not true off road enthusiasts, but we do like to take the Honda out watching wildlife and over the hill to Flathead Lake for lunch. During this drive we pretty much run in 2WD and high range. There are times, when you have to idle down to negotiate the trail/road, but not once have we felt a clutch slippage. I have read on this site about people switching ranges on the fly. I was like WTF! We always completely stop to change ranges! THAT IS NOT AN OPTION! I have been called "Captain Maintenance" in my life time, because I not only firmly believe in it, but I probably over do the maintenance. I learned a long time ago, a few cents/dollars spent on maintenance will save you thousands of dollars in repairs, whether doing it yourself or in the shop. We also follow the owners manual to the "T" and have a very well established relationship with our Honda dealership. I have talked with the shop owner about both the clutch issue and the heat issue and as HondaSxS said, I am going to wait on the "Clutch Update", as there may be another campaign that will supersede this one. As for the heat issue, we are still on the fence about it, because it became a welcome feature during the snow plowing and during the summer time, it is normally only the two of us and we have learned to adjust and adapt to it.

oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome aboard tradertrent. I too use our, 1000 the same way. We have 6500 miles on our machine. I've plowed 2 winter's here in North Idaho with no problems. It's our go to vehicle for most of our travels as we can ride every where but on state or federal highways.

Reactions: bigsnowman
Tradertrent

Tradertrent

Lifetime Member
Apr 7, 2017
MONTANA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Much Appreciated Oldtrucks!

Fortunately, we are fully licensed to travel anywhere here in Montucky. Graveel, Pavement or Asphalt, we can travel it.

I see that your are in Pinehurst, I lived in Ashton when I was a teenager.

Tradertrent

Tradertrent

Lifetime Member
Apr 7, 2017
MONTANA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry, but I forgot to add that we are ready to tip 1K miles.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!