P500 improved ride quality possible?

mjager

mjager

May 10, 2019
Central Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
What can I do to improve the ride of my P500 without spending a ton of money?

So far I've upgraded to 27" radials, tire pressure is set at 6psi, I disconnected the rear sway bar...what else can I do? This thing rides like a little North Korean tank LOL

I'm coming from the world of Yamaha, and as far as SxS's, my last ones were Rhino's and a Wolverine. I know it's not fair to compare them, but to be honest, the only reason I sold my Yamaha and bought the P500 was its small size. Had I known it rode this rough I might have made a different decision.

Again, money is a key issue, as I don't have much of it :(

Pic for attention...

IMG 3756

Last edited:
mjager

mjager

May 10, 2019
Central Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Regardless of what you try with the stock spring/shocks , you wont get a nice plush ride. The stock setup is just horrible!

I have a toy hauler which my Rhino fit in okay, but I wanted something smaller and lighter, hence the P500. I am now considering the 700, although that's even bigger than the Rhino, man...what to do LOL

Reactions: rtn001 and Chooglin
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a toy hauler which my Rhino fit in okay, but I wanted something smaller and lighter, hence the P500. I am now considering the 700, although that's even bigger than the Rhino, man...what to do LOL
the 700 rides rougher than the 500. you can get a nice ride out of the stock shocks just not using the stock springs. honda built these more utility wise rather than sporty rzr wise. to get a better ride probably look into dual compression springs and weigh the bike with the standard load out and get springs that fit the length and weight. other than that. your kinda stuck. 1 thing i did notice with my 700 is after i put a lift on it the ride smoothed out.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

C

Chooglin

If you like everything about the 500 other than the suspension, I would invest in the Walker Evens or Elka shocks. They are big money but so well worth it IMO!!!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Have also done the same things as above, including a softer shock setting. But it is what it is, a bumpy utv. Upgraded shocks may improve the ride, but will still have the limited HP. So for faster and smoother riding with others, I did add a different type second machine (used Polaris ACE). Each has its purpose. But if going out by myself, I take the P500 for dependability.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

So far I've upgraded to 27" radials, tire pressure is set at 6psi, I disconnected the rear sway bar...what else can I do? This thing rides like a little North Korean tank LOL

I'm coming from the world of Yamaha, and as far as SxS's, my last ones were Rhino's and a Wolverine. I know it's not fair to compare them, but to be honest, the only reason I sold my Yamaha and bought the P500 was its small size. Had I known it rode this rough I might have made a different decision.

Pic for attention...

View attachment 143502
Try lowering air pressure. Maybe some wheel spacers if you don't have trail restrictions. I don't know if you did any research before you bought, but the 500 is kinda infamous for its harsh ride.

I don't agree with @Alan_Vander. I think the 700 rides significantly better, though it's far from the best riding sxs. If you go that route, make sure it will fit in your toy hauler...as the 700 is really tall.

P

PNWGuy

Have also done the same things as above, including a softer shock setting. But it is what it is, a bumpy utv. Upgraded shocks may improve the ride, but will still have the limited HP. So for faster and smoother riding with others, I did add a different type second machine (used Polaris ACE). Each has its purpose. But if going out by myself, I take the P500 for dependability.

Friends of mine went on a Poker ride last week and their folks brought out their brand new Rzr 570 for it's first run. Ended up breaking down and having to be towed half-way through the run. Apparently something went wrong with the belt. So glad I went with the Honda. The Polaris was much more comfortable and sexy, but the horror stories I saw on the Rzr forums were unsettling.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Someone did an air ride setup on a P5 on here I think. It was pretty slick. Forgive me if Im wrong, but it might have been @JWB ? Cant remember. It would be an interesting read even if you didnt do something like that

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Least cost would be a DIY air shock suspension. I installed Elka Stage 3s on all corners along with Kenda Bearclaw HT Radials. Rides handles like a different machine now, easily 1 gear quicker, pillowy controlled ride now, very please with mods. I think radials improved ride by 40% and Elkas the balance of 60%.

HaggyGP

HaggyGP

Jun 27, 2019
Grande Prairie Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 500

Pic for attention...

View attachment 143502
I am totally impressed with the Maxxis Bighorn 26" on stack rims with 5.5 lbs PSI in all 4. Really nice ride

Reactions: rtn001 and mjager
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I have a sore back, have done so much for a softer ride on my P-500. 25" radials at lower psi, Walker Evans shocks, even sent them back for re-valve to make them softer. W.E. shocks are nice, but don't help near as much on bumps at slower speeds as they do at mid to higher speeds, then they really help. And, I have a 1 &1/4 inch thick 'Miracle Cushion' to sit on which helps absorb some of the bumps, not much but enough to sit on it every ride. On more harsh bumps, I grab the top left roll bar, pull up, making myself lighter on the seat and that helps too.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Someone did an air ride setup on a P5 on here I think. It was pretty slick. Forgive me if Im wrong, but it might have been @JWB ? Cant remember. It would be an interesting read even if you didnt do something like that
Yep exactly, @JWB, has a great write up on this, it provides more travel and as good or better ride as expensive after market shocks, at far less expense, but more work.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Shocks are a part, the air shocks help a LOT, however I feel one fundamental flaw is the fact Honda uses the suspension bushings as torsion springs. The A-arm pivots and the rear spindle mount bushings have metal tubes bonded to rubber, and those tubes have teeth that twist the rubber, (it's a way to use cheaper smaller shocks maybe?). I ground a lot of my teeth off when I went to air shocks, then inserted harder greased washers to fill the gap. At some point I may just make new bushings. View media item 3310

Reactions: JWB and rtn001

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!