Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Well, I may be on to something here.... I'll post some more vids after I get a chance to thoroughly test them out.

Capture

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
this what i use to improve ride quality on the cheap..
Like night and day may look like crap but way better on the back and the arse.

View attachment 152794 View attachment 152795
Looks like the cushions off my outdoor patio furniture. Did you set'em on the existing P500 seats or did you remove the P500 seats and put them in place of them? Can't tell from the photos? Great idea.

Reactions: rtn001
dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Managed to get some Sachs bolted up that I bought off eBay for under $40 for the set. Rears from a 500 Sportsman. They bottomed out on me riding hard. I had them set full soft. Got them up two notches now, want to give them the full shake-down before giving them the seal of approval. First impression, WAAAY better ride @ slow speeds.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Looks like the cushions off my outdoor patio furniture. Did you set'em on the existing P500 seats or did you remove the P500 seats and put them in place of them? Can't tell from the photos? Great idea.

Actually that's where they came from patio furniture.My wife father gave them to use said try these no one uses them and they fit perfect over top of the seats and i have a little strap the attach with velcro in the back of the seat.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Managed to get some Sachs bolted up that I bought off eBay for under $40 for the set. Rears from a 500 Sportsman. They bottomed out on me riding hard. I had them set full soft. Got them up two notches now, want to give them the full shake-down before giving them the seal of approval. First impression, WAAAY better ride @ slow speeds.
What is their eye to eye length?

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI

Do you have the link to the Ebay shocks you purchased? Did the Sportsman 500 rears bolt right up on the rear or the front?

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Do you have the link to the Ebay shocks you purchased? Did the Sportsman 500 rears bolt right up on the rear or the front?

Yes and no. I think they use a 10mm bolt, and p5 is 12mm. I had different sleeves for the bushings on hand that were 12mm. Change those out, and shoe-horn them in. They are a little less than 16" eye to eye. I used a spring compressors to get them to fit easily. Im not too worried about the suspension going full down. I dont think the axle can pop out. I wanted to ride it hard before suggesting they are truly a good match for the front.

As for the p5 rear, the sportsman 500 rears are way too long. Im going to figure out a bracket to bolt on a 15-16" shock.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Well guys, i lied. the sportsman 500 rears will fit on the p5 rear too. needs maybe 3/4 of an inch more compression on the springs vs the fronts to make em fit, and also some 12mm sleeves inside the bushings. i got lucky and tractor supply had some hillman sleeves that fit nicely.

IMG 0228

Last edited:
dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
i got ahead of myself when doing the front and forgot to measure, but these lifted the rear 1 inch exactly with preload cranked all the way up. with least preload it sat same height as stock, but did hit the bump stops.

it is worth noting that there is a good deal of sag in the suspension that factory length shocks do not allow the machine to take advantage of. i wonder if honda does this intentionally to increase life of CVs, or if it is done purely as a cost savings to use the shorter shocks from another machine they had readily available.... i am guessing the latter.

These are a PIA to make fit, but it rides amazing so far. under $100 for all parts and pieces too--used shocks of course.

i plan on stress testing them soon.

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
What can I do to improve the ride of my P500 without spending a ton of money?

So far I've upgraded to 27" radials, tire pressure is set at 6psi, I disconnected the rear sway bar...what else can I do? This thing rides like a little North Korean tank LOL

I'm coming from the world of Yamaha, and as far as SxS's, my last ones were Rhino's and a Wolverine. I know it's not fair to compare them, but to be honest, the only reason I sold my Yamaha and bought the P500 was its small size. Had I known it rode this rough I might have made a different decision.

Again, money is a key issue, as I don't have much of it :(

Pic for attention...

View attachment 143502

If you can stand a wider track, try installing wheel spacers. This makes for a longer lever arm for the springs which effectively makes them appear to be softer. Spacers are fairly inexpensive and they can be removed if you need stock width for a 50 inch trail. I’m running 2 inch spacers and they also make the machine more stable on side slopes.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Ok, so finally got to rip my p5 with sportsman rear shocks all the way around. I LOVE them! Way more plush at slower speeds. Probably not for those that like to get airborne..., but I don’t recall bottoming at all. 40+ mph over some big washes and abrupt dips, soaked them right up! I do get a clunk in the front when wheel drops to full sag quickly. Might be CV but idc. Worth it IMO if I have one fail prematurely. Also, it doesn’t do it often or in a real shocking way. Just an audible thud. I’d be surprised if one failed the way I ride. I didn’t have to mod my machine at all to bolt up. But I had to play around with bushings and sleeves washers. 12mm bolt on p5s. I found these are best and priced right:Energy Suspension 9.9176G UNIVERSAL LINK FLANGE TYPE BUSHING SET But need drilled out a bit

Have the rears at max pre-load, and fronts one or two clicks down from full. 1” of lift all around. 11.5 in rear 11 in front I think with my 27” Zillas. I have 5+2 wheels to, so a little wider.

the wife has a lot of miles in it with me. She ended up driving it for 30 min or so with new shocks. She let me know how great it road without being asked. Said she felt a huge difference. This was coming right out of her AC/textron prowler 500–which rides way better than a stock p5.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Forgot to mention: these shocks are found on many Polaris models. Sportsman 500 from latest model years just seem to go for best price on eBay. But the 700 800 570 etc etc uses same rear shocks and springs—pretty sure.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@dpnorth[/USER] . So these may be good for those slow but bumpy trails? I seldom get over 3 rd gear or 15 mph on the wooded/rocky trails. Funny that a google search for Polaris sportsman shocks pulled this up. 16 inches = 400mm,,12 mm bolt.
https://www.amazon.com/Newsmarts-Ad...bers-Universal/dp/B07LCMFD63/?tag=sxsweb24-20
I submitted a question on their site, will see what they reply.

Or another brand, 12 mm. https://www.amazon.com/Mallofusa-Mo...750cc-Kawasaki/dp/B06WP5YFRF/?tag=sxsweb24-20

2979A6AA 93E2 4B7C B233 8DADBC4B41AD 39C5D986 43A5 4575 9CEB 1E659E5E8619

Last edited:
dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Yeah, I have A LOT of experience with those RFY shocks. Was running them on the front of my kids RZR170. Not good results. I did try them on the front of my P5 for S's&G's. They fit, but are much too soft. Also, the bushings that come with them are trash. They are basically Ohlins rip-offs. If you arent a guy who can rebuild a motorcycle shock, stay away from these. They do not ship them with enough oil or air in them. They had zero rebound dampening on the 2 sets I had. I ended up swapping the springs from the RFY's to my kids RZR's factory shocks. Success!! Soft and plush, not pogo-bouncing down the trail.

Reactions: Mudder
dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Not the XP Sportsman, the old one w/ MacPherson strut front suspension. Also, the sleeves in the bushings wont work w/ P5 factory shock bolts. Need to fit an M12, PoPo is sleeved for M10.

You want just the rears, like these:

Upload 2019 10 18 17 24 35

Last edited:
Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!