P1000 Initial Service

CAPTDASH

CAPTDASH

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Camilla, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am at about 120 miles and the service wrench has lit up. I was wondering what this initial Honda service should include and how much it should cost. Thanks.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here’s some useful info

5a0c02e66c949342b40657f62bbfeb0b

A360e82fe37cef1c8987b49233d7ef3b

B206b1f9131fd6640b4b84b7850b8ffa

Reactions: Eltobgi
zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Local dealer told me my first service will be around $450. I said no it wont because I'll be doing myself. Thats crazy to just change the oil, check the fluids and adjust the valves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335 and JTW
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
If you do it yourself, I would keep the receipt for the parts. You might need it for warranty work.

Reactions: elkguide
CAPTDASH

CAPTDASH

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Camilla, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I checked with my local dealer, they told me $180. Checked with Tifton, GA dealer, he told me $328. Checked with my dealer from back where I used to live, he said just under $200. I guess I am going to give me local dealer a try. That is where I purchased it. Just don't like their service department.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I paid $168. First service, I wanted a trained eye to look at it.
Probably do them myself from here on out.

Reactions: JTW
H

HondaTech

I going to be honest with you guys, most dealers aren't adjusting valves on first services. It's a real time consuming job on the P1K. I highly doubt there out of adjustment on this engine since it's shim under bucket adjusters.

Just my 2 cents.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I going to be honest with you guys, most dealers aren't adjusting valves on first services. It's a real time consuming job on the P1K. I highly doubt there out of adjustment on this engine since it's shim under bucket adjusters.

Just my 2 cents.
Had a dealer do my first service. They said the valves were within spec. Wish i had done it myself and saved the $.

Reactions: Eltobgi and JTW
advertisement
J

JTW

Valves were half the reason I had them do the first service on mine.. ($175).. I'm pretty sure it’s valves (or maybe valve ball???) making a rattling sound on mine when it’s high RPM and under load. They we’re supposed to check mine but I’m pretty sure they just listened to it and didn’t actual pull the cover to check.

Reactions: Smitty335
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Just my 2 cents.
I was going to bring this up and say that if they adjusted them, that probably wasn't a bad price...but...
Valves were half the reason I had them do the first service on mine.. ($175).. I'm pretty sure it’s valves (or maybe valve ball???) making a rattling sound on mine when it’s high RPM and under load. They we’re supposed to check mine but I’m pretty sure they just listened to it and didn’t actual pull the cover to check.
...as @JTW said, I'd almost have to see them doing it to believe it. This is why outside of an expensive warranty repair, i do my own work. Always.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a dealer do my first service. They said the valves were within spec. Wish i had done it myself and saved the $.
Mine had a small oil leak at the drain plug when i got it home. Guess they didn't replace the aluminum washer. I lost a lot of faith in that dealership after the first service.

Reactions: Smitty335
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Local dealer told me my first service will be around $450. I said no it wont because I'll be doing myself. Thats crazy to just change the oil, check the floods and adjust the valves.

That’s insanity. My dealer hasn’t been great in a other circumstances but it was only $180 for the initial service.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally...I'm not gonna fook with the valves. It starts great, runs great, power is just fine. I doubt they will change enough over time to even worry about. Loosing sleep over the valve lash on these new motors is like loosing sleep over what oil you should run.

If they (the valves) are going to go anywhere it up into the head (pound out the seats). If that happens, it'll be so hard to start you'll then have a reason to pop open that cover. If the lash gets larger, ya got bigger problems that you are not gonna fix with shims.

Just my .02

H

HondaTech

Mine had a small oil leak at the drain plug when i got it home. Guess they didn't replace the aluminum washer. I lost a lot of faith in that dealership after the first service.

Sure it was leaking and not just residual from the change. We always use new washers and wash the underside before pickup.

H

HondaTech

Ive gotten this a few times on a really good uphill run. Sounded to me like a drivetrain (maybe diffs or just a noisy trans).

J

JTW

Ive gotten this a few times on a really good uphill run. Sounded to me like a drivetrain (maybe diffs or just a noisy trans).
Part of he b**** of it is I can’t pinpoint it... I need to be under the seat at high rpm. When I let off the throttle is goes away. It reminds me of a zip tie on a drive shaft but only under load

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sure it was leaking and not just residual from the change. We always use new washers and wash the underside before pickup.
Yes, it created a small puddle over a few weeks.

H

HondaTech

Part of he b**** of it is I can’t pinpoint it... I need to be under the seat at high rpm. When I let off the throttle is goes away. It reminds me of a zip tie on a drive shaft but only under load

That seems to be where I'm also hearing it as well. Have you checked your sub trans oil level.

Reactions: OnTheJob
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!