P1000 Installing a light bar with factory wire harness?

M

madmax

Oct 16, 2019
wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Folks, I have the honda wire harness and switch plate installed when i bought my pioneer for the heater option. I want to install a light bar so i took off all the covers to see what was there. I see everything is wired up to the block under the hood, just need to get a molex connector to run wire to the light bar. My question, is do i need to install a relay for the lights? i see a relay type module on the block, but cant find what that is or how many watts it would handle. Looking to install a 300W light bar. I also assume the AUX light connector isnt connected to a relay, so would need to be a smaller wattage light. Thanks for input!

Reactions: Hawk53 and Lady01
M

madmax

Oct 16, 2019
wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guess I meant to ask if I can use the relay that comes with the factory harness accessory to hook up the light bar?
Thanks

Reactions: Hawk53 and Lady01
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You need to relay for 300 watts.
You can use the factory accessory fuse panel but only as the relay trigger source if you like.

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Relays are properly rated for voltage range and amps (current), rather than wattage (watts being power consumed, the formula for that being Watts = volts X current).

On our side by sides, IMO, it's good to use a relay if the current for an accessory is more than 8 amps or so. Relays are easier on the rocker switches which, though rated at 20 amps, that's for sure an exaggeration looking at the internals. A relay also allows thinner control wires going to the switches, and a shorter "power" run of heavier wire suitable for higher current loads.

If the light bar you are considering is rated at 300 watts, that would be 25 amps at 12 volts. BUT, the mfgs lie about their wattage rating, sort of a ongoing advertising war. Your light bar is probably going to draw more like 15 - 17 amps (based on my experience buying a 312 watt Nilight 54" light bar. Still, very bright, but only draws 16.5 amps or so with the 13.3 lithium battery I was using as a test source.* (No doubt the light bar has an internal voltage regulator as mine is spec'd at 12 to 30 volts DC, so it'll probably draw less current at the upper end of it's allowable voltage range. But for our purposes, figure a couple of hundred watts.)

*I recommend bench testing any LED and similar devices before going to the trouble of installation. That way you can return with minimal hassle if defective out of the box.

Reactions: Hawk53
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You need to relay for 300 watts.
You can use the factory accessory fuse panel but only as the relay trigger source if you like.
Would you have a good source for the connectors and contacts in the aux fuse panel ? Two terminal and 3 terminal connectors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01
M

madmax

Oct 16, 2019
wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I still would like to know if i can use the "relay module" that came with the aux fuse box/switch plate accessory wire harness for a light bar. The connector that goes to the switch plate marked LIGHT BAR is already there for a switch, and the 2 pin molex connector is on the board ready for a light bar connection. Seems Honda has already accounted for this and just a plug and play for a light bar. All wiring is already done except load wires going to the light. Hope that makes sense.
I understand the need for a relay, just dont want to install one, if one is already there.
Thanks, Madmax

Reactions: Lady01
M

madmax

Oct 16, 2019
wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Folks, after doing some research, the factory aux board does contain a 30/40 amp relay. CB1a-P-12v. ACB33101. Will now just hook up the light bar to the molex connector. Thanks all

Reactions: Remington
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Folks, after doing some research, the factory aux board does contain a 30/40 amp relay. CB1a-P-12v. ACB33101. Will now just hook up the light bar to the molex connector. Thanks all

The factory light bar is a small one, at least on my '21 SE, small enough not to warrant a relay - though I'm not sure one way or the other, as I didn't use that wiring. So, if you are installing a bodacious light bar, you would be well advised to make sure your factory wiring includes one. You can do that by installing the switch and then have someone listen for the relay click up front as you operate the switch.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!