BOX1

Interest in a Talon X/R2, X4 seat cargo deck

Would you be interested in replacing your Talon seats with a cargo deck for overlanding trips?

• A removeable rear seat cargo deck would be useful

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • A removeble front passenger seat cargo deck would be useful

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Not interested. I need the seats and will use the cargo bed space.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think making a mount that bolts to the seat mounting locations on the chassis is the way to go. If sombody is going to be storing boxes in that location the seat isn't going to be usable, so why keep it in there and try to work around it?

Maybe you could come up with something for behind the removed seat that securely holds a jack or some similar tool everyone brings but rarely uses... 🤔

Putting weight in the car between the wheels is way better for handling than hanging it off the back in the bed area. You get alot less of the pendulum effect with centered mass.

I think these will be hot selling products when you release them! :cool:

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m interested in one for our overlanding treks depending on final design and weight….👍
I would think it would be pretty easy to design a replacement mount that weights less than the passenger seat....

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Worked on the cad models this weekend for the front passenger seat in my 2 seat X. I'll get that completed first, send to the shop and make sure what I'm thinking is possible to make how I want it. If not I'll find a solution. But, I have been chipping away at the steel frame to cut down on as much weight as possible. Once I get a working version of the 2 seat base, then in about 3 weeks I'll be able to get my scanner on the rear seat of a 4 seater. The good thing is that once I get the front passenger seat version finalized transferring the design to rear seats should be quick.

I like this project! It's interesting!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The front seat packout mount is looking so good. I'm very pleased with the overall design. The shop has my cad model and may be cutting and bending one for me by end of this week. The test run will tell if the shop can CNC bend this thing from a single piece of metal, like I see it in my head! This will require only 6 small welds at bend cornders. If I can make the .125" aluminum work without boxes wanting to rattle while in the mount then this thing will be ultralight! the rear truss design is my favorite part. It just looks awesome and will reduce weight while maintaining structural strength. I can't wait to see a the real product!

Once I run this front seat mount through some testing, I'll incorporate the same overall design for the 2 rear seats. I'm thinking they will be 2 pieces sold individually for customer use preference. Buying a pair or set of 3 will get some kind of discount.

As a career draftsman I can't convey how exciting it is to design and build things. If I never sell one of these it was still exciting to go through the creative process and get one made for me.

Talon packout front seat with scans Model

Talon packout front seat rear side

T

T-4

Dec 17, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I built a flat base out of plywood for the entire backseats of my RZR4 for my large Yellow Lab (80#) and ran it for 6 years so that he had lots of room. Now the RZR is gone and I am picking up my 1000X 4 in about 10 days and waiting to get it to see how I can do the same with it. So to me, your idea is very sound. I also do 3 day campouts here in the NW a couple times a year so space (and comfort) is important... plus I haul a lot of sh*t with me all the time so that I can get myself back home and because of the remoteness of our country and lack of cell coverage most places I spend time.
Just fyi, I ran my plywood from the back of the front seats to over the first 4-5 inches of the rear seat bottoms. Of course I had it cushioned so that it wouldn't wear the fabric. I just had 3/4" by 4" uprights on both sides and one in the middle that braced the front of it to the floor.. And I never had any problem with wear anywhere and through all the rough rocks, etc., never had an issue with it moving, etc.. That was nothing nearly as sophisticated as your concept, so I wouldn't be very concerned about the tie down (bolts) as some are. That being said, I also never rolled it!
So I think it would be nice if you made one for the rear seat and the second one for the rear with an addition that filled in the space between it and the other. And I would make that the L rear seat platform, just because the driver is always in and a rear passenger would be on the opposite side. And I would make the two rear platforms wide enough to go within 1/2" of the door on both sides to maximize space and have less things fall through. Just a thought. I know this doesn't apply to many folks, but many of us carry our dogs with us always, so perhaps more than one would think.
I will be really excited to see your finished products. Thanks for sharing with us and seeking input. Many good thoughts shared so far.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My first thought was a complete deck across both back seats. However, these Milwaukee packout boxes are so popular for rear cargo use, I figured why not design for these. They snap in so easily and require no other straps. Plus you can leave stuff stored in them ready to go anytime.

Reactions: Smitty335
T

T-4

Dec 17, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon x4
IT WOULD BE IMPORTANT TO MANY OF US WHO HAVE MULTIPLE TOTES AND BINS TO BE ABLE TO USE THOSE AS WE ALWAYS HAVE SO MANY POINTS TO BUNGEE OR STRAP THEM WOULD BE GREAT.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The metal between the packout cutouts could be used to hook a bungie cord.
Another thought in the back of my mind is to add a small perimeter area full of holes for bungie anchors.
I certainly appreciate the input.

3d cad is great but having an object in my hands could change the whole game! With cad I can give it my best shot first, then tweak the design after a prototype is built.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Nice work!
I like the idea.

if I didn’t have 6 people living in my house and coming along on adventures I might need something like that! 🤪

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
One change I'm going to make is to slot the holes side to side. The bolt locations are not perfectly square. Adding slotted holes will help alleviate this during installation. Other than that I'm pretty estatic about the design. I'll do a little riding with some weight in the packout boxes but once bolted in plate the mount is very sturdy.

I was concerned about the boxes being loose when mounted to the 1/8" (0.125") aluminum because measurements show a 0.135" gap for the mount, which means using 0.135" thick metal. But, the box fits tighter to the mount than the other packout box! I'm sticking with the ultra light weight aluminum for this.

Reactions: Vondy and TripleB
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
One change I'm going to make is to slot the holes side to side. The bolt locations are not perfectly square. Adding slotted holes will help alleviate this during installation. Other than that I'm pretty estatic about the design. I'll do a little riding with some weight in the packout boxes but once bolted in plate the mount is very sturdy.

I was concerned about the boxes being loose when mounted to the 1/8" (0.125") aluminum because measurements show a 0.135" gap for the mount, which means using 0.135" thick metal. But, the box fits tighter to the mount than the other packout box! I'm sticking with the ultra light weight aluminum for this.
What about for overlanding gear. Camping equipment, etc?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
What about for overlanding gear. Camping equipment, etc?
These mounting racks are specific to click in Milwaukee packout boxes, but you can strap down any kind of box you want to.
For this front seat rack I have in mind to get the cooler and same size storage box to put side by side in my talon. Cooler will be by driver seat.

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My first thought was a complete deck across both back seats. However, these Milwaukee packout boxes are so popular for rear cargo use, I figured why not design for these. They snap in so easily and require no other straps. Plus you can leave stuff stored in them ready to go anytime.
Please still consider the complete deck as a next option. I just heard another fella asking about such an option for his dogs. I use the packout system on back deck, plus bolted the stock Milwaukee packout base to my roof rack.

Keep in mind if you make a full deck of something that allows bolting onto it, someone can still install packout mounts to it.

However, a full deck would be great for dogs, camping gear, general utility. For carrying a hunting base camp I use the back seat quite a bit so it opens the options of using a "sport" utv for some more utility purposes for the best of both worlds. Not sure if best to hard bolt it or have it removable like the lower cushions, or some kind of access panel to the footwells...

For example, in the rear footwells I usually have a 5g jerry can on one side with gas and a 5g heavy duty water container on the other.

Another thing I had considered was modifying an aluminum hitch cargo carrier so it mounts to the rear grab bar and roll cage behind seats, so that I could have even easier access to items through the windows on an elevated shelf, plus storage underneath. However, the underneath storage might not be as easy to access.

Just random mods thoughts I've considered in case any make sense to you.
Screen Shot 2022 01 21 at 52610 PM

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
One option could be ultra simple, solid deck, keeping costs low but super sturdy.

Another option would be to have the deck similar to this Talon roof rack which allows for easily mounting additional items if someone wanted (packout mount, jerry can mount, etc...)

IMG 2772

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!