P1000 Is OIL COLOR related to burnt clutches?

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
You are aware that Honda makes a full synthetic oil??

I just found it odd you want more time with Honda oil then switch to synthetic?
Yeah - I meant the GN4 dino oil for break-in.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
You are aware that Honda makes a full synthetic oil??

I just found it odd you want more time with Honda oil then switch to synthetic?
a lot of people are recommending to go to the full synthetic at 2nd oil change to give it more break in time. Im not going to do that but prob 6 one way.... other

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
did u get yours fixed yet
Mine is running great.
I only noticed some minor slipping on the first ride after an oil change - I probably would not have noticed if I wasn't looking for it and trying to make it slip. Since then its been running better, stornger, faster. And quieter. Still cant make it slip - at least not without abusing the machine.

When I wrote that post I was a bit concerned about the colour of the oil - but I'm over that now. Probably normal for the first break-in oil change. I think oil colour is a matter of perception. And oil does not look the same depending how you look at - on a rag, pouring out the drain hole or in a plastic container.

Reactions: Jshell3
BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
i did my 1st oil change today no burnt oil smell oil looked got i got a sample and keep filters no particles in big filter a few minute in small filter.I can`t get maintenance reminder to clear right. initial wrench is gone but either wrench 1 or wrench2 comes up wend reset can anyone tell me how to reset. Thanks in advance on some help with this. my last 4#`s in vin are 1908.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
i did my 1st oil change today no burnt oil smell oil looked got i got a sample and keep filters no particles in big filter a few minute in small filter.I can`t get maintenance reminder to clear right. initial wrench is gone but either wrench 1 or wrench2 comes up wend reset can anyone tell me how to reset. Thanks in advance on some help with this. my last 4#`s in vin are 1908.
Scroll down to step 8 of this thread:
P1000 - Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!
That's probably what you did.
When you press that button, it displays different stuff: trip milage, engine temp, countdown miles to service, countdown hours to service. When it shows the countdowns, it will display the next service interval wrench 1 in your case.

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
When you press that button, it displays different stuff: trip milage, engine temp, countdown miles to service, countdown hours to service. When it shows the countdowns, it will display the next service interval wrench 1 in your case.

I had printed the guide and followed each step I reset by step 8 cannot get wrench off when Ido wrench 2 pops on there go thru reset again same thing I don't know what to do or try

Reactions: Stevo
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I had printed the guide and followed each step I reset by step 8 cannot get wrench off when Ido wrench 2 pops on there go thru reset again same thing I don't know what to do or try
With the key "on" press and release the button several times.
Each time, different info is displayed at the bottom of the display.
When it is showing you countdown to next service the wrench will appear. (currently wrench 2)
When it shows trip odometer, the wrench should disappear.

If that all works for you, I think you might want to reset once more so you countdown is "wrench 1". Probably does not really matter but the i think your next service will be interval 1.

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
When it is showing you countdown to next service the wrench will appear. (currently wrench 2)

If that all works for you, I think you might want to reset once more so you countdown is "wrench 1". Probably does not really matter but the i think your next service will be interval 1.
Thank I will try it got to get it back to wrench 1 on 2 now again thanks it may be tomorrow I will let you know how it goes

Reactions: ghost
ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
a lot of people are recommending to go to the full synthetic at 2nd oil change to give it more break in time. Im not going to do that but prob 6 one way.... other

2nd oil change is 1200 miles for the 1000. For alot of owners that may well be over a yr, if not 2...or longer Why wait. with the 700 it was semi synthetic GN4 gold at 300 600 and 900, at 1200 it was amsoil full synthetic 0W40. WOW what a difference. smoother shifting at start and thru out, less warm up time. BUT 700 vs 1000 we are talking 2 different beasts tranny wise. 100 miles with the 1000, hello HP4S, I'll see you again at 1200miles.

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Mine is running great.
I only noticed some minor slipping on the first ride after an oil change - I probably would not have noticed if I wasn't looking for it and trying to make it slip. Since then its been running better, stornger, faster. And quieter. Still cant make it slip - at least not without abusing the machine.

When I wrote that post I was a bit concerned about the colour of the oil - but I'm over that now. Probably normal for the first break-in oil change. I think oil colour is a matter of perception. And oil does not look the same depending how you look at - on a rag, pouring out the drain hole or in a plastic container.
I agree looks different different ways

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn

Thanks Ghost I got it reset today you were right on it clearing when odometer shows Thanks again

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My question is to the people who have had clutch issues mostly? I know that a side effect of slipping clutches is discolored oil cause the oil gets a little clutch fiber residue suspended in the oil way before clutches start to majorly slip as I have found in the drag racing world where clutch slip is a science!! So did most of the guys with clutch issues have the problems before or after 1st service and if it was after do u happen to remember the color of your oil during or close to 1st service? I have 78 miles on mine and just checked and the oil is PERFECTLY clean with a bright yellow look on the paper towel and I broke in nice the first 4 hours and normal to hard riding after that. ????? any and all oil color references wanted thanks.
I changed my engine/transmission oil at 16 hrs and it was very dirty????? That was after babying it around the yard and some easy trails in turf mode, I changed the sub transmission oil at the same time, it was clear. The differentials were front/high and rear/low, also the toe in is toed out from the factory, the Honda Service Manual, not the owners manual! Doesn't have a clue on alinement. From center line you need toe in of 6/32, + or - 12/32. They don't tell you this from center line, don't even mention center line.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I changed my engine/transmission oil at 16 hrs and it was very dirty????? That was after babying it around the yard and some easy trails in turf mode, I changed the sub transmission oil at the same time, it was clear. The differentials were front/high and rear/low, also the toe in is toed out from the factory, the Honda Service Manual, not the owners manual! Doesn't have a clue on alinement. From center line you need toe in of 6/32, + or - 12/32. They don't tell you this from center line, don't even mention center line.

I think most people that had clutch failures also had very dark oil.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
my oil turned dark when my clutch went
I'll be watching my oil from now on, I think Honda needs a really tough 1-3-5 clutch. It's weird I was babying mine and at16 hours the oil was bad.

Reactions: JTW
R

Renojxd

Dec 2, 2016
NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Left my P1K with Honda about three weeks ago. I had an Elk tag and first day out I tried to back up a hill with my dad as the passenger, while trying to backup the tires stopped spinning. Once we got turned around the clutch was slipping. I don't know how the oil looked but I will ask Honda. They sounded like it was a very rare occurrence. They still dont know whats wrong but from the sounds of it everything will be covered.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome to the club and sorry to hear about your issue @Renojxd.
Would you mind letting us know a few things about your rig.
3 seat or 5?
How long have you had it?
How many miles do you think was on it?

This issue has happened to a few people. Many, once they replaced the clutch, it pulled very strong. Honda has been taking care of almost everyone with this issue. They will get you taken care of also.

R

Renojxd

Dec 2, 2016
NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 5 seater deluxe model. It has been a blast for the kids and myself, I bought it in October and I believe the mileage is around 300.

J

Jshell3

Well, digging up old threads... but is it related? I read through the posts... still undecided.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement