P1000 Is OIL COLOR related to burnt clutches?

R

Renojxd

Dec 2, 2016
NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, digging up old threads... but is it related? I read through the posts... still undecided.

The clutch was burned. They took care of it and I ended up with the extended warranty for the same price you get on ebay. I haven't had any issues since. They said the oil was clean but I wish I would have checked it myself.

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
There is no way to truly determine the life/condition of motor oil by looking at it. You can get a better determination by smelling it (burnt smell bad). The only true/accurate way to determine oils condition/life is by an oil analysis at a lab. Blackstone Labs (Blackstone Labs) provides a great analysis for a reasonable price for the standard test ($28). I would recommend also getting the TBN test also, which accurately determines how much life is left in the oil. I recommend changing the factory oil at the manufacturers recommended interval and replacing the oil with a quality 0w-30 full synthetic (i use Amsoil). There is no dino oil that compares to full synthetic. When the first change reaches the recommended change interval, take a sample and send it in the Blackstone. The analysis will provide easy to read report that will indicate levels of wear metals, silicon, and additives present in the oil. Also checks for coolant. Determines the grade of oil. Quantifies the percentage of solids present in the oil. The flashpoint is the temperature at which the vapors from the oil ignite. When the flash is lower than it should be, it shows a contaminant (usually fuel) is present. Also the TBN test will measure the amount of active additive left in a sample of oil. The TBN ($10) is useful for people who want to extend their oil usage far beyond the normal range. This will be the best $38 you will spend to determine what is going on in your engine and it will give you an accurate determination on how long you can run your oil safely!

Last edited: