P500 Jacks, Jacking, and Jackal

S

Sledge

Just read Jackal's build thread. Read it if you haven't. Great stuff.

I have a Hi-lift, Handyman, Mankiller* jack, whatever you call it, that I'm thinking of carrying too.

Looks like jacking a whole side at a time would be the easiest way to change a wheel.

Looks like nothing to jack from in rear, absent a bumper.

Looks like the only difference between a normal jack and an ATV jack is overall length.

All true?

*A good friend has a dent in his noggin from one. Sometimes that dog doesn't catch. Keep all body parts outside the arc of that handle!

Joe

S

Sledge

Oh, and any tips on jacks you use, and how you use them, would be most welcome.

Joe

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just read Jackal's build thread. Read it if you haven't. Great stuff.

I have a Hi-lift, Handyman, Mankiller* jack, whatever you call it, that I'm thinking of carrying too.

Looks like jacking a whole side at a time would be the easiest way to change a wheel.

Looks like nothing to jack from in rear, absent a bumper.

Looks like the only difference between a normal jack and an ATV jack is overall length.

All true?

*A good friend has a dent in his noggin from one. Sometimes that dog doesn't catch. Keep all body parts outside the arc of that handle!

Joe

The UTV version of the Hi-Lift Jack is 36" long vs. 48" or even larger 60" versions. I find it very quick to deploy and use and though many styles of lesser jacks will do the trick none can do was the Hi-Lift model can.

Here are the uses on a Hi-Lift Jack:
1. Used as a regular jack
2. Used as a winch or come-along
3. Used as a spreader or a clamp - push out crushed roll cages / frame parts etc.
4. Use the handle as a cheater bar, attitude adjuster, argument settler, etc.

Where I got mine and quick detach roll bar mounts:

Hi-Lift ATV/UTV Jack Adjustable Tube Mount | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Hi-Lift ATV/UTV Jack | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Ways to mount: (Click to enlarge pics)

P500
20151003 125558

P1K5D
20160408 145808

Online resources:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...3s0M_0dYD57IVF--zxHEEA&bvm=bv.121070826,d.cWw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...JimkeWewutVMzPfwrYIUBg&bvm=bv.121070826,d.cWw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...1wE2JDN_BMQMBeQmeyJqiA&bvm=bv.121070826,d.cWw

Reactions: Sledge
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi Lift's are versatile for sure. But they're big, heavy, dangerous, and seem to require constant lubrication. I carry a scissor jack mounted to my cage. It's small, light, and easily lifts a utv to change a tire. That being said, more guys seem to prefer the hi-lift, i guess it just depends on your intended use.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Lift's are versatile for sure. But they're big, heavy, dangerous, and seem to require constant lubrication. I carry a scissor jack mounted to my cage. It's small, light, and easily lifts a utv to change a tire. That being said, more guys seem to prefer the hi-lift, i guess it just depends on your intended use.
Seen guys use
hi lift jack for
front bumper
as well

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Alot of guys that Rock
Crawl...use them ...seen
them used to move big
Fricking Boulders

S

Sledge

Regarding "constant lubrication":

I approach it a little differently. I don't try to keep it constantly lubricated, but I NEVER use it without hosing the mechanism down with WD40. That'll cut the dust and slick her right up.

Trying to keep it lubed with heavier oil or grease is a losing and dangerous proposition in my experience.

Btw, that friend with the dented head welded a 1.5" ball bearing into the top of my handle. It'll still hit hard, but it won't cut. :)

Looks way cool too. :)

Joe

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Imagine you come across someone trapped in their SXS, rolled it bad, roll cage pushed in on them and they need out soon. The scissor jack wont do this:
Hilift spreading

Reactions: Sledge and Tflynn
S

Sledge

Seen guys use
hi lift jack for
front bumper
as well
Now that's a GREAT idea, rocmar! Just looked, and the stock bumper could not be better suited if it was designed for that.

Thanks!

Joe

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Now that's a GREAT idea, rocmar! Just looked, and the stock bumper could not be better suited if it was designed for that.

Thanks!

Joe

Hey...everyone has there own deal
wat works for me...might not work for
you...many ways to skin a cat

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Regarding "constant lubrication":

I approach it a little differently. I don't try to keep it constantly lubricated, but I NEVER use it without hosing the mechanism down with WD40. That'll cut the dust and slick her right up.

Trying to keep it lubed with heavier oil or grease is a losing and dangerous proposition in my experience.

Btw, that friend with the dented head welded a 1.5" ball bearing into the top of my handle. It'll still hit hard, but it won't cut. :)

Looks way cool too. :)

Joe
Ha yeah that's what I'm saying, dang things won't work without a WD-40 bath! Sounds like you been there, done that

S

Sledge

Ha yeah that's what I'm saying, dang things won't work without a WD-40 bath! Sounds like you been there, done that
Yep. But I'm seldom far from a can of WD40.

Some think it's a great rust inhibitor. It ain't. Some think it's a great long-term lubricant. It ain't.

What it is good for, besides water displacement (WD), is freeing up dry, low-load metal parts. And penetrating.

My Mankiller jack can bounce around in the bed of my dually for a year, rain, dust, dirt, and snow, and with a 2-second hosing of WD40, work like a champ.

That's good enough for me. Now it's gonna be a front bumper though!

I've got a bunch of those bags folding chairs come in. I might just treat the old girl to a dress!

Joe

Reactions: rocmar
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I've got a bunch of those bags folding chairs come in. I might just treat the old girl to a dress!

Joe

They do make a little cover specifically for them out of neoprene, keeps the mud out:
112092 lg

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, I use the scissor Jack too.

Reactions: Tflynn and Sledge
S

Sledge

Yep, I use the scissor Jack too.
Bummer.

Tried 48" Hi-lift up front, and behind cage. Just too long.

Both positions would require some welding to build a mount, even with 36" jack.

May cut it down so I can carry in bed, once I get bed built, but I don't see mounting it.

For now, I'll carry the little screw jack that came with my Ram dually.

I carry a 30 ton bottle jack in the truck--can't imagine using that little OEM jack to lift my truck anyway.

Oh well. I've been excited and then disappointed before, and likely will again. :)

Does a scissor have any advantages over a screw?

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Bummer.

Tried 48" Hi-lift up front, and behind cage. Just too long.

Both positions would require some welding to build a mount, even with 36" jack.

May cut it down so I can carry in bed, once I get bed built, but I don't see mounting it.

For now, I'll carry the little screw jack that came with my Ram dually.

I carry a 30 ton bottle jack in the truck--can't imagine using that little OEM jack to lift my truck anyway.

Oh well. I've been excited and then disappointed before, and likely will again. :)

Does a scissor have any advantages over a screw?

Joe
There's no bummer Joe, it's another issue of preference. You've seen how Jackal carries his (hi-lift), there's another member that uses his as a front bumper. The scissor may be easier than the screw to position under the buggie, it probably has a larger contact surface with the buggie, and I think a larger base than the screw, and I'm assuming you mean bottle jack when you say screw. But all will do the job that so far, I've never needed done.

Reactions: Tflynn and Sledge
S

Sledge

View attachment 14494 Hi-Lift makes a 36" jack for UTV's and this is how I have mine mounted. Doubles as a bumpers. as a bumper also.
That looks great, Alan. Are the Hi-lift mounts clamped to the tube which circles around the front from the rollcage?

MC, you don't get to decide if it's a bummer to me. My plan didn't work, and that was a bummer. :)

Also, to me, a bottle jack is hydraulic. This little jack isn't. Screw jack may not be the correct term, but it's not a bottle jack, as I understand the term.

Joe

S

Sledge

Oh, and is the 36" UTV jack just a foot shorter than my 48" standard jack, or are there other differences?

Have hacksaw, can cut.

Joe

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!