P1000 Jam nut on tie rod

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am having uneven tire wear on the front driver side. I tried to loosen the jam nut and it will not budge. Now I am now wondering does it have right or left hand threads? My eyes are not young anymore and I don’t won’t to mess it up. Any suggestions.
Thanks

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
It looks like there is only one part number for tie rods.
That would suggest both threads are the same.
(Now if I only knew if it was a right or a left...):eek:

Screenshot 20190911 222342

Foot note: screen capture shows my total ignorance of how a Samsung tablet works.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info. Anyone used heat to get the nut loose? I hate to mess up the boots or bushings.

RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
soak it for a day or so in a good quality penetrating oil (something better than WD-40). When you get it where you want it, clean it really well and paint over it to help prevent future corrosion issues.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
When you take the nut off dont be tempted to hit the threaded stud to knock it out of the hole, even with the nut still partially on to protect the threads. Smack the metal 'meat' around hole with a hammer a few times and it should pop out.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
soak it for a day or so in a good quality penetrating oil (something better than WD-40). When you get it where you want it, clean it really well and paint over it to help prevent future corrosion issues.
Thanks. I soaked it for about 4 hours and it came off with a little persuasion.