• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon jasond's Talon 1000R

Discussion in 'Talon 1000 Builds' started by jasond, Apr 29, 2019.

1. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Rokblokz fender flares installed. The install wasn’t difficult, but is a bit more involved than I anticipated. I haven’t ridden with them yet to test performance, but they’re quality pieces and fit great. The hardware is stainless and the brackets are aluminum and/or powder coated so everything should be pretty rust resistant and stay looking nice. The fender dress washers are a nice touch and are anodized aluminum.

They’ve also got an install video on YouTube to guide you through the install.

2D8A120D-291E-4F88-8CC0-807495E25C1F.jpeg DA3CF816-983C-4F14-8CF9-FBDECF42E668.jpeg 294C2339-C423-4E0B-890D-77F795BCC10D.jpeg D22F93DA-E483-491E-8F5C-778B3F776EC1.jpeg 161A1939-0EAD-498F-995B-BF48D106DA90.jpeg 0D59F214-1005-49F9-AC96-8B498921C334.jpeg BA9BAE1F-1530-4D7A-A154-9D96459785C0.jpeg 496434EE-774B-490F-99F2-05B672462F7C.jpeg 2C87F134-413E-4860-960D-B297BE4EC7CC.jpeg 80AF1D28-FF61-4B0F-951B-55CF85A969BB.jpeg

2. Christepher

Christepher Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Waiting for report on Rokblokx.. $300+ canadian I want to see results.. haha

3. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    I’ll report back. Should be getting it out next week and the following weekend.

I was waiting for Mudbusters to see if they’d be any cheaper, but my lack of patience got the best of me.

4. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    I got out yesterday in very wet and very muddy conditions to test out the Rockblokz...they worked like a charm. I was a bit skeptical on the front flares since they really don't stick out that far, but I guess I didn't take into account how much coverage the factory flares actually provide.

The rear flares provide excellent coverage and I put the passenger side rear into a tree in an off-camber situation and had it bent 90 degrees toward the ground. I thought for sure it'd be warped/bent/broken, but no damage to my surprise and it sprung right back into shape.

So all-in-all I'll have to say they were a good purchase...expensive, but a good purchase.

5. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    A couple of new videos are up on YouTube if you want to see the Honda Rear Cargo Bag or the Hillbilly Brake:

cshluver, Ragnar406, JACKAL and 2 others like this.
  6. Christepher

Christepher Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    yeah pricey.. specially here, our dollar sucks.
    And you have them on an R.. I have the X so they will work even better for me. :) Thanks for the update.

jasond likes this.
  7. Bigblue1

Bigblue1 Member

Ownership:
    Do not currently own
    I tested mine with 32" Carnivores this week in W.V . and I was very pleased with them.

8. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    I’ve been busy here lately, but finally got some shop time this week and got around to a few things. Finished installing the L&W Fab high clearance a-arms this evening. They definitely squeezed every bit of clearance they could get out of these a-arms and I’m very pleased with the fitment. I double and triple-checked that the axles don't rub the a-arms while it was up on my lift and they do not rub.

NOTE - I ordered these in a raw finish and had a local powder coating company do the powder coating since L&W isn’t currently offering red.

If you’re going to do any sort of a-arm modifications do yourself a favor and invest in a ball joint separator. These ball joints are crazy in how much it takes to remove them from the a-arms. Just get the right tool for the job for $20 at Harbor Freight and save yourself a headache and beating with a hammer.

8B9C7A40-54E7-4ACD-B0A7-E4850D6506CC.jpeg 64E9014D-68FE-49E5-A1D5-1E5F7071418E.jpeg 3B8F14D5-B1ED-407C-BEC9-015619B2994B.jpeg

GPR1500SC, Rambo and nm6r like this.
  9. snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky Village Idiot
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
    jasond likes this.
  10. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    The newest video is up on my channel. Installed @Hondasxs automatic reverse light harness and now have an awesome little backup light:

JACKAL, nm6r and joeymt33 like this.
  11. DRMORRIS

DRMORRIS New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Thanks for the video on where you wired the hot lead from. I was able to easily access the plug when I had the skid plate off but it is tight no matter which way you try and access it. I didn't end up wiring in the hot lead and reverse lights yet. It will be a cinch after your video. Which Tree Kickers did you go with? I looked on your list but didn't see them listed.

jasond likes this.
  12. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    My tree kickers are from AED Offroad Fabrication. You can find them on Facebook here: AED Off-Road Fabrication

I'll update my accessories list - thanks for calling that out.

Ragnar406 and Paratoad like this.
  13. Brussian

Brussian New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Do you have any pictures of where you mounted your rock lights?

14. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    I just took a few for you:

The rear passenger side required the most work, but it's not difficult by any means. I removed the inner plastic fender well from the machine and drilled some holes to locate the rock light before fastening it to the plastic with nuts and bolts. Just remove the plastic push pins/rivets and it should come right out. I don't recall off the top of my head if there are any bolts that hold it on, but if there are it's maybe 2-3.

The driver's side rear light is also fastened using nuts/bolts and the bolts run through the firewall that separates the cab from the engine bay. You can also see the control module zip-tied to the frame beside the driver's side rear light.

The front lights are very simple; I just zip-tied those to the metal tubing that supports the front fenders and ran the wires through the center console back toward the control module.

Driver's Side Rear:
    IMG_1381.jpg

Passenger Side Rear:
    IMG_1382.jpg

Front Lights:
    IMG_1383.jpg IMG_1384.jpg IMG_1385.jpg IMG_1386.jpg

Hope this helps. My YouTube channel link below has several videos as well if you need to use those for other accessory ideas.

GPR1500SC and Ragnar406 like this.
  15. bjniceguy

bjniceguy Member

Ownership:
    Talon R

You installed All Things UTV tender springs Didn't you? Any reports on how they work (ride, roll, ride height, ETC)

jasond likes this.
  16. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Yes, I’ve got the ATU front and rear tender springs on my R. I’ve been intentionally holding out on providing feedback until I get a good sample size of riding on them.

However, I’ve got a decent variety of riding on them since installation and I can offer an opinion on them:

• Are they a drastic, night & day ride quality improvement over stock?
      • No, BUT these are a marginal improvement and for the price point they’re okay. They’re not bad and at the same time they’re not anything to write home about. Again, you’re not receiving – nor are you paying for – a full upper/lower spring and revalve type of ride quality improvement.
      • I don’t do enough high speed riding to really give valuable feedback on body roll, but it doesn’t seem as planted while road riding to me after installing the springs. However, don’t misinterpret that as if it feels unsafe or out of control – to me it just doesn’t feel as planted as the stock setup. That could very well have something to do with me running 32s and increasing my ride height, though, and since I primarily ride slow speed trails this is relatively unimportant to me.
    • What they do well:
      • They are an improvement in small chatter and do seem to feel a bit less harsh at slow speeds. If you’ve ridden a RZR XP it’s still not quite that plush, but it is a bit more plush than the stock Talon R setup.
      • Ride height, in my opinion, is my biggest benefit from these springs. Between the springs and 32s I’ve got my machine sitting up nicely and have plenty of ground clearance (16.5” front and 16” rear without additional gear loaded and me in the machine).
    • Overall impressions:
      • It’s a decent kit. I don’t have anything distinctly bad to say, but I also wouldn’t urge you to go buy them ASAP. If you’re trying to significantly modify the ride quality I’d recommend keeping the $250 and putting it toward something like a setup from Shock Therapy. Classic case of you get what you pay for.

17. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    My PRP GT3 seats came in today. I got them installed with a very minor issue with the driver’s side brackets. Had to do a small amount of trimming, but nothing too serious and everything fits great after the minor trimming.

Update: Embedding video:

D961AC36-3ED4-483F-8079-F65BFFABFB51.jpeg 5022914D-A355-480F-9A9E-B451CBF3A91C.jpeg B95932AF-6DDC-452D-A517-2AE926036AAB.jpeg DB6534D7-2DB5-4AC7-B9D7-0CB27C9D7AC2.jpeg ECBC7727-4B4E-4D99-93C6-2EF8A1554FF1.jpeg D631FDB2-97A3-4356-BCAE-FDDF9B1075D7.jpeg 66EED439-62DF-42EA-B04F-0CE796012EC1.jpeg

#57 jasond, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  18. Morris1219

Morris1219 Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Man machine looks good. Wonder if you can do a cage mod like the RZR where you cut a few inches out of the back and pull down. I have been thinking about that on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Bigblue1

Bigblue1 Member

Ownership:
    Do not currently own
    Jason, what do you think about the CA shift gate?

20. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    It’s a very nice, quality piece. It fits like it should and if you get one just make sure you do the lateral adjustment before reassembling the console so that the shift lever moves freely in all positions.

I think they’re doing a Labor Day sale for a discount right now if you check their social media.