Talon jasond's Talon 1000R

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Rokblokz fender flares installed. The install wasn’t difficult, but is a bit more involved than I anticipated. I haven’t ridden with them yet to test performance, but they’re quality pieces and fit great. The hardware is stainless and the brackets are aluminum and/or powder coated so everything should be pretty rust resistant and stay looking nice. The fender dress washers are a nice touch and are anodized aluminum.

They’ve also got an install video on YouTube to guide you through the install.

2D8A120D 291E 4F88 8CC0 807495E25C1F DA3CF816 983C 4F14 8CF9 FBDECF42E668 294C2339 C423 4E0B 890D 77F795BCC10D D22F93DA E483 491E 8F5C 778B3F776EC1 161A1939 0EAD 498F 995B BF48D106DA90 0D59F214 1005 49F9 AC96 8B498921C334 BA9BAE1F 1530 4D7A A154 9D96459785C0 496434EE 774B 490F 99F2 05B672462F7C 2C87F134 413E 4860 960D B297BE4EC7CC 80AF1D28 FF61 4B0F 951B 55CF85A969BB

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Waiting for report on Rokblokx.. $300+ canadian I want to see results.. haha

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I’ll report back. Should be getting it out next week and the following weekend.

I was waiting for Mudbusters to see if they’d be any cheaper, but my lack of patience got the best of me.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I got out yesterday in very wet and very muddy conditions to test out the Rockblokz...they worked like a charm. I was a bit skeptical on the front flares since they really don't stick out that far, but I guess I didn't take into account how much coverage the factory flares actually provide.

The rear flares provide excellent coverage and I put the passenger side rear into a tree in an off-camber situation and had it bent 90 degrees toward the ground. I thought for sure it'd be warped/bent/broken, but no damage to my surprise and it sprung right back into shape.

So all-in-all I'll have to say they were a good purchase...expensive, but a good purchase.

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I got out yesterday in very wet and very muddy conditions to test out the Rockblokz...they worked like a charm. I was a bit skeptical on the front flares since they really don't stick out that far, but I guess I didn't take into account how much coverage the factory flares actually provide.

The rear flares provide excellent coverage and I put the passenger side rear into a tree in an off-camber situation and had it bent 90 degrees toward the ground. I thought for sure it'd be warped/bent/broken, but no damage to my surprise and it sprung right back into shape.

So all-in-all I'll have to say they were a good purchase...expensive, but a good purchase.

yeah pricey.. specially here, our dollar sucks.
And you have them on an R.. I have the X so they will work even better for me. :) Thanks for the update.

Reactions: jasond
B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I tested mine with 32" Carnivores this week in W.V . and I was very pleased with them.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’ve been busy here lately, but finally got some shop time this week and got around to a few things. Finished installing the L&W Fab high clearance a-arms this evening. They definitely squeezed every bit of clearance they could get out of these a-arms and I’m very pleased with the fitment. I double and triple-checked that the axles don't rub the a-arms while it was up on my lift and they do not rub.

NOTE - I ordered these in a raw finish and had a local powder coating company do the powder coating since L&W isn’t currently offering red.

If you’re going to do any sort of a-arm modifications do yourself a favor and invest in a ball joint separator. These ball joints are crazy in how much it takes to remove them from the a-arms. Just get the right tool for the job for $20 at Harbor Freight and save yourself a headache and beating with a hammer.

8B9C7A40 54E7 4ACD B0A7 E4850D6506CC 64E9014D 68FE 49E5 A1D5 1E5F7071418E 3B8F14D5 B1ED 407C BEC9 015619B2994B

D

DRMORRIS

May 22, 2019
SMYRNA, TN
Ownership

1. Talon R
The newest video is up on my channel. Installed @Hondasxs automatic reverse light harness and now have an awesome little backup light:

Thanks for the video on where you wired the hot lead from. I was able to easily access the plug when I had the skid plate off but it is tight no matter which way you try and access it. I didn't end up wiring in the hot lead and reverse lights yet. It will be a cinch after your video. Which Tree Kickers did you go with? I looked on your list but didn't see them listed.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the video on where you wired the hot lead from. I was able to easily access the plug when I had the skid plate off but it is tight no matter which way you try and access it. I didn't end up wiring in the hot lead and reverse lights yet. It will be a cinch after your video. Which Tree Kickers did you go with? I looked on your list but didn't see them listed.

My tree kickers are from AED Offroad Fabrication. You can find them on Facebook here: AED Off-Road Fabrication

I'll update my accessories list - thanks for calling that out.

B

Brussian

Jul 16, 2019
Hooversville
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you have any pictures of where you mounted your rock lights?

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Do you have any pictures of where you mounted your rock lights?

I just took a few for you:

The rear passenger side required the most work, but it's not difficult by any means. I removed the inner plastic fender well from the machine and drilled some holes to locate the rock light before fastening it to the plastic with nuts and bolts. Just remove the plastic push pins/rivets and it should come right out. I don't recall off the top of my head if there are any bolts that hold it on, but if there are it's maybe 2-3.

The driver's side rear light is also fastened using nuts/bolts and the bolts run through the firewall that separates the cab from the engine bay. You can also see the control module zip-tied to the frame beside the driver's side rear light.

The front lights are very simple; I just zip-tied those to the metal tubing that supports the front fenders and ran the wires through the center console back toward the control module.

Driver's Side Rear:
IMG 1381

Passenger Side Rear:
IMG 1382

Front Lights:
IMG 1383 IMG 1384 IMG 1385 IMG 1386

Hope this helps. My YouTube channel link below has several videos as well if you need to use those for other accessory ideas.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R

The rear passenger side required the most work, but it's not difficult by any means. I removed the inner plastic fender well from the machine and drilled some holes to locate the rock light before fastening it to the plastic with nuts and bolts. Just remove the plastic push pins/rivets and it should come right out. I don't recall off the top of my head if there are any bolts that hold it on, but if there are it's maybe 2-3.

The driver's side rear light is also fastened using nuts/bolts and the bolts run through the firewall that separates the cab from the engine bay. You can also see the control module zip-tied to the frame beside the driver's side rear light.

The front lights are very simple; I just zip-tied those to the metal tubing that supports the front fenders and ran the wires through the center console back toward the control module.

Driver's Side Rear:
View attachment 146602

Passenger Side Rear:
View attachment 146603

Front Lights:
View attachment 146604 View attachment 146605 View attachment 146606 View attachment 146607

Hope this helps. My YouTube channel link below has several videos as well if you need to use those for other accessory ideas.

You installed All Things UTV tender springs Didn't you? Any reports on how they work (ride, roll, ride height, ETC)

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You installed All Things UTV tender springs Didn't you? Any reports on how they work (ride, roll, ride height, ETC)

Yes, I’ve got the ATU front and rear tender springs on my R. I’ve been intentionally holding out on providing feedback until I get a good sample size of riding on them.

However, I’ve got a decent variety of riding on them since installation and I can offer an opinion on them:

• Are they a drastic, night & day ride quality improvement over stock?
    • No, BUT these are a marginal improvement and for the price point they’re okay. They’re not bad and at the same time they’re not anything to write home about. Again, you’re not receiving – nor are you paying for – a full upper/lower spring and revalve type of ride quality improvement.
    • I don’t do enough high speed riding to really give valuable feedback on body roll, but it doesn’t seem as planted while road riding to me after installing the springs. However, don’t misinterpret that as if it feels unsafe or out of control – to me it just doesn’t feel as planted as the stock setup. That could very well have something to do with me running 32s and increasing my ride height, though, and since I primarily ride slow speed trails this is relatively unimportant to me.
  • What they do well:
    • They are an improvement in small chatter and do seem to feel a bit less harsh at slow speeds. If you’ve ridden a RZR XP it’s still not quite that plush, but it is a bit more plush than the stock Talon R setup.
    • Ride height, in my opinion, is my biggest benefit from these springs. Between the springs and 32s I’ve got my machine sitting up nicely and have plenty of ground clearance (16.5” front and 16” rear without additional gear loaded and me in the machine).
  • Overall impressions:
    • It’s a decent kit. I don’t have anything distinctly bad to say, but I also wouldn’t urge you to go buy them ASAP. If you’re trying to significantly modify the ride quality I’d recommend keeping the $250 and putting it toward something like a setup from Shock Therapy. Classic case of you get what you pay for.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My PRP GT3 seats came in today. I got them installed with a very minor issue with the driver’s side brackets. Had to do a small amount of trimming, but nothing too serious and everything fits great after the minor trimming.

Update: Embedding video:

D961AC36 3ED4 483F 8079 F65BFFABFB51 5022914D A355 480F 9A9E B451CBF3A91C B95932AF 6DDC 452D A517 2AE926036AAB DB6534D7 2DB5 4AC7 B9D7 0CB27C9D7AC2 ECBC7727 4B4E 4D99 93C6 2EF8A1554FF1 D631FDB2 97A3 4356 BCAE FDDF9B1075D7 66EED439 62DF 42EA B04F 0CE796012EC1

Last edited:
M

Morris1219

Aug 27, 2019
Dallas TX
Ownership

1. Talon R
Man machine looks good. Wonder if you can do a cage mod like the RZR where you cut a few inches out of the back and pull down. I have been thinking about that on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Driver's Side Rear:
View attachment 146602

Passenger Side Rear:
View attachment 146603

Front Lights:
View attachment 146604 View attachment 146605 View attachment 146606 View attachment 146607

Jason, what do you think about the CA shift gate?

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Jason, what do you think about the CA shift gate?

It’s a very nice, quality piece. It fits like it should and if you get one just make sure you do the lateral adjustment before reassembling the console so that the shift lever moves freely in all positions.

I think they’re doing a Labor Day sale for a discount right now if you check their social media.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!