P1000 JEI Off-Road..

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Although the TC bumper is heavy and I am OLD, I found it to be simple to install and has met my every need, and love the top mounting winch. I have had zero complaints about it and would do it all over again if I had a 2nd Pioneer. Actually, I like the added weight on the front when climbing steep hills.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm not entirely sure how yours bolts up. When I bought my tough country bumper I drilled out the bottom 2 bolt holes because I wanted to use bigger bolts. I put the bottom 2 bolts in loosely then the 4 bolts on the top brackets. The top brackets bolt to the bumper with 1 large bolt. It was pretty simple starting at the bottom. Maybe the jei bumper doesn't have the same flexibility if I'm understanding your story.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This is different. The center section of the bumper bolts up exactly like the factory one does. There aren't brackets that get installed first and then the bumper bolts to the brackets. It's one piece in the middle, and then the sides that go out by the headlights bolt to the center section. It seems that during the welding of the bumper the steel must warp causing misalignment, so it makes it very difficult to get the top four bolts in and then the bottom two. Literally none of them lined up easily, had to fight it the whole way.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
8d2e3a0db78a6b4f388fb54225ac44b51213326b3b83b012a30c41d0ce60befe

Well I got it all bolted up and tightened down. Feels really sturdy now. I really like the arms that come up to the rops. I was going to bolt the winch on, but found that warn doesn’t include the fairlead plate that is needed when top mounting. So I had to order that. Pretty stupid that warn doesn’t include that with the winch!

The pics aren’t great, and I think it looks better in person than in pictures.

So yes, the installation of the bumper was difficult but after it’s on there, I’m happy with how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Redone and TripleB
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 157835View attachment 157836

Well I got it all bolted up and tightened down. Feels really sturdy now. I really like the arms that come up to the rops. I was going to bolt the winch on, but found that warn doesn’t include the fairlead plate that is needed when top mounting. So I had to order that. Pretty stupid that warn doesn’t include that with the winch!
I would have thought it would have come pre-drilled for the mounting plate, as the TC did.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I would have thought it would have come pre-drilled for the mounting plate, as the TC did.

The bumper is drilled for the winch. Not sure what you mean. There is a plate that the fairlead bolts to and it gets bolted down underneath the winch. The winch did not come with it, which is stupid.

Reactions: BigOL3
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The bumper is drilled for the winch. Not sure what you mean. There is a plate that the fairlead bolts to and it gets bolted down underneath the winch. The winch did not come with it, which is stupid.
What's stupid is when warn used to send those out with every winch only to have the end user have no need for it and have to buy a vehicle specific plate. Thousands of plates getting thrown away. Now you just order the plate you need when you order the winch. Seems pretty smart to me.

Reactions: Plumber32
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
What's stupid is when warn used to send those out with every winch only to have the end user have no need for it and have to buy a vehicle specific plate. Thousands of plates getting thrown away. Now you just order the plate you need when you order the winch. Seems pretty smart to me.

Well nowhere did it say that it wasn't included, until I got into the manual. And they don't even put the part number for it in the manual, it just says "sold separately". My Superwinch came with one so I didn't think I needed to worry about it. This isn't a $150 winch. It's their top of the line model. I guess I must be totally unreasonable to expect Warn to include this $26 part that is needed for installation with my $700 winch.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well nowhere did it say that it wasn't included, until I got into the manual. And they don't even put the part number for it in the manual, it just says "sold separately". My Superwinch came with one so I didn't think I needed to worry about it. This isn't a $150 winch. It's their top of the line model. I guess I must be totally unreasonable to expect Warn to include this $26 part that is needed for installation with my $700 winch.
For you a standard plate is needed but far more often it is not, and a specific one is needed. So they dont want to throw away $26 on every winch. To your point, they could have it as an option when ordered.

Redone

Redone

Nov 14, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 157835View attachment 157836

The pics aren’t great, and I think it looks better in person than in pictures.

So yes, the installation of the bumper was difficult but after it’s on there, I’m happy with how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m glad it worked out for you like I said unnecessarily difficult but nice when it’s finally on. I even had to have one of the arms replaced because it was welded wrong. Your looks good good luck on the rest of your build

Reactions: ehart814
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!