ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What we all need is a Snuffoneer, but I lack the checkbook and fab skills required. @snuffnwhisky machine checks all the boxes for me except I'd need the rear seats. Excited to see how @joeymt33 and @ohanacreek work out.

We just need to finish them. The Coronacation has me pretty far along but still a lot of stuff and a little knowledge and help needed. @snuffnwhisky gets about 95% of the credit, @joeymt33 and I will take the other 5% just in case ours falls too far short of the bar snuff has set.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
. I watched that shock therapy video the other day and it summed up Honda perfect. When he was talking about the talon and comparing it to the other machines in shop. He made the comment the talon was started in 2012 and was set to blow away the competition then. However, they took sooo long to get to market that they were passed up by competitors in today’s day and age. It’s 100% true and very honda.

Very true. That was a good video. Honda has never been one to come out with anything that really blows away the rest.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I’ve been watching this thread for awhile.

Here’s my take...

At 1’ longer and just about 1’ wider than a P1k5 the KRX is BIG for just a 2 seater. I wonder how the KRX could possibly share space on mountain trails with other machines. My P1k5 already is a tight fit for Black Hills trails at times let alone for two rigs passing each other on a steep hill or mountain side trail.

For open area riding the KRX would be awesome!

For me I have a hard time with the 350 lb payload and it doesn’t have a hitch. It wouldn’t be a replacement for the farm / ranch work that my P1k5 does. This makes it hard for me to consider seriously.

As with the other 4 seaters it looks like a bus with atv tires. Combined with the extra width I continue to wonder if it would be frustrating to drive on tight mountain trails.

If I had the cash and could keep my P1k5, I’d go with the 2 seater KRX way before the Talon as it appears to have a real locker and no goofy I-4wd type system plus all other updates mentioned previously.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@lee let’s here the drawbacks and reservations on the KRX

First any comparisons to the Pioneer is because that is a familiar Item with everyone... really not fair to compare Sport vs Utility/Hybrid both designed to do different things

There have been some issues with the KRX and some have been addressed - will list below
  • Clutch bolts - couple of first buyers experienced their clutch "blowing up" due to a clutch bolt not being tight from factory - was quickly addressed from Kawi.
  • Axles - some have experienced their rear axles popping out due to a faulty C clip - also quickly addressed from Kawi
  • One way bearing - Kawi announced that their were some units with faulty one way bearing in the transmission that would cause the machine to potentially lock up if they rolled backwards down him in H or L - was addressed and Kawi is replacing
  • Over pressurized Gas tank - don't know that has been addressed by Kawi but lots of quick DIY's out there
  • Sagging springs - the ride is goos in the KRX but some have reported having to readjust their springs to get back to original ride height as the springs will settle in after a bit... I seem to hear this same issue with Polaris owners
  • Current issue that is being addressed now - Knuckles on the front wheels breaking when suspension is full droop (or quickly goes to full droop when wheels are turned all the way right or left. - there are some DIY fixes and Kawi has warrantied everyone or at least I have not seen someone saying they were not replaced for free... they also have new stock numbers but opinion si out on if that really fixes or not.

and to be fair the two issues that I am looking for a fix from Honda on are
  • Steering - sometimes locks slightly when turning let or right ... maybe freeze is a better word
    • Local dealer says they have testing and it only does that on aftermarket bigger tires like 30's or 32's that if they put stock tires back on they can not repeat same issue (on same machine) - granted don't know if true or not
  • Low going out... - To me this one is a lot like the clutch issue - sure seems to be happening a lot and the response seems to be that the cable is just out of adjustment - several people report getting their adjusted and it continuing to clunk -...
    • It is around enough on the internet being posted that something is not right.. maybe they need a new cable that wont stretch
    • Maybe they need to train the dealers better - Honda controls who represents them -
      • I know a powerhouse dealer that has had to replace quite a few low gears - 4 in 2 weeks last time i was down there
I love my pioneer I take it places that i would never have dreamed as I bought it for different purposes and it has opened up the world of SXS riding to me. My pioneer also rides good, smoother than a lot of Sport machines when riding rocky slow steady speed trails... Only time I get to wanting a sport is when I ride two local parks that are both set up to being challenge parks - the tipsiness just freaks me sometimes and I really wish there was a great way to improve the cage that looked decent and did not raise the center of gravity.

advertisement
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very true. That was a good video. Honda has never been one to come out with anything that really blows away the rest.
True for most times, BUT back in the 70's when they came out with the CR250 Elsinores, they jumped to the top of ALL Jap bikes and compared well with the more expensive European MX bikes, and continued at the top into the 80s with the long travel single shock, and water cooled.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First any comparisons to the Pioneer is because that is a familiar Item with everyone... really not fair to compare Sport vs Utility/Hybrid both designed to do different things

There have been some issues with the KRX and some have been addressed - will list below
  • Clutch bolts - couple of first buyers experienced their clutch "blowing up" due to a clutch bolt not being tight from factory - was quickly addressed from Kawi.
  • Axles - some have experienced their rear axles popping out due to a faulty C clip - also quickly addressed from Kawi
  • One way bearing - Kawi announced that their were some units with faulty one way bearing in the transmission that would cause the machine to potentially lock up if they rolled backwards down him in H or L - was addressed and Kawi is replacing
  • Over pressurized Gas tank - don't know that has been addressed by Kawi but lots of quick DIY's out there
  • Sagging springs - the ride is goos in the KRX but some have reported having to readjust their springs to get back to original ride height as the springs will settle in after a bit... I seem to hear this same issue with Polaris owners
  • Current issue that is being addressed now - Knuckles on the front wheels breaking when suspension is full droop (or quickly goes to full droop when wheels are turned all the way right or left. - there are some DIY fixes and Kawi has warrantied everyone or at least I have not seen someone saying they were not replaced for free... they also have new stock numbers but opinion si out on if that really fixes or not.

• Steering - sometimes locks slightly when turning let or right ... maybe freeze is a better word
    • Local dealer says they have testing and it only does that on aftermarket bigger tires like 30's or 32's that if they put stock tires back on they can not repeat same issue (on same machine) - granted don't know if true or not
  • Low going out... - To me this one is a lot like the clutch issue - sure seems to be happening a lot and the response seems to be that the cable is just out of adjustment - several people report getting their adjusted and it continuing to clunk -...
    • It is around enough on the internet being posted that something is not right.. maybe they need a new cable that wont stretch
    • Maybe they need to train the dealers better - Honda controls who represents them -
      • I know a powerhouse dealer that has had to replace quite a few low gears - 4 in 2 weeks last time i was down there
I love my pioneer I take it places that i would never have dreamed as I bought it for different purposes and it has opened up the world of SXS riding to me. My pioneer also rides good, smoother than a lot of Sport machines when riding rocky slow steady speed trails... Only time I get to wanting a sport is when I ride two local parks that are both set up to being challenge parks - the tipsiness just freaks me sometimes and I really wish there was a great way to improve the cage that looked decent and did not raise the center of gravity.

With all that I am doing to my Pioneer, a cage is on the radar, but I would have it made to exactly match factory not because it think it’s perfect design but because I already have money in the full enclosure.
@JTW has said this and I agree the Pioneer is a really good machine but the group we ride with that takes the terrain we do loaded the way we do. The Pioneer takes heavy modification to do it then it takes repairs after hundreds of miles of floggings. Hopefully knowing snuffs skill and knowledge, and seeing what his has gone through with V1 of the LT, V4 won’t have as many issues as the SATV with spacers.

I personally won’t buy a KRX or Talon until I don’t need more than 2 seats for the family, the X4 is a school bus like all the other 4 seat machines. If I didn’t need to fix the front after Tackett I probably would have stayed stock but changed the upper a-arm mounts to survive the SATV better.

However the KRX is very attractive because while it’s “heavier” than the other sport machines, it’s probably just as heavy as they are one they are built to tackle the terrain the same way it does off the production line. It’s a little longer but still has a better turning radius than the Talons.

The benefit of not swapping half the parts on it and having a pile of parts and taking the time and effort to do it is worth extra money. Honda really should offer a “rock” version like can-am. If they did it would sell even for a substantial markup over the “base” as long as it wasn’t a DEALER added option or a 3rd party factory authorized accessory.
Honda themselves needs to do it off the production line, let their engineers wear the drunk goggles they use to teach people how bad drinking and driving is and release them on a course with extra safety gear and bubble wrap clothes, or let our group test it for them as independent contractors. They’d rule the market with a “Ready To Rock Crawl machine”

The dune and desert machines are great for west of the Mississippi but the east coast is a very popular riding destination.

The shouldn’t forget the flat landers. I’m sure Honda could use their marine expertise to slap a jet drive or something onto a mud machine. The 300fourtrax are probably the only 25 year old mud machines that are still pretending to be submarines and aren’t rotting at the bottom of a mud hole somewhere.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Remember my BIG FLOP? I wonder if I would have had a chopped cage It would have rolled?

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well we cant bash the pioneer too bad. We go anywhere those built up razrs go and with most of their mods putting them ahead of a factory krx. The place where the krx should have a big edge on pioneer or other 2 seats is that its 12' long and the tires stick out front and backward. It's a factory crawler with everything we will ever need either already on it or available through the dealer
You are a fool if you think you can follow a built rzr (and a good driver). Will never happen in a pioneer. Maybe Snuff version will...

advertisement