Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I want to hear opinions of the drawbacks and possible issues with the krx as well... this isn’t a bash Honda thread. We all bought them for a reason and that changes and evolves over time. I never dreamed I’d be taking my PK5 where I do. But that’s what has happened and although we try to make it better suited for that style... the machine just doesn’t always allow for the easiest platform to build off of. I love the platform.. and with a hand full of production changes it could be awesome but at this point. I don’t see spending anymore money on it when there are other machines better suited for the riding. Although, I sure wish the other was better suited for family riding.

I definitely agree for the P1K beyond the winch, full skids, tires & wheels for what it does stock vs. highly built up the rate of return on investment isn't worth $6k of other add ons. Been there done most of it on my 2016 and realized returning to near stock had a lot less issues.

It does what it does pretty much as is. Gone through many places with relative ease that I figured would be super sketchy.

As far as the KRX interested to see how it does, over time in the trails you guys run.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Exactly my thoughts!
Are they part of the MEDIA that reports nothing but false and bad news????????????????????????????/

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Lmao... thats not even the same machine! They’re giving issues with the teryx... not the KRX.
Probably a free lancer that has never scene a S X S?

advertisement
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
lol the only other issue I have heard of is the gas tank being pressurized and not reading correctly, 20 dollar ball valve on vent fixes that.

Reactions: Smitty335 and TimG
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most of those issues are also the most commonly b****ed avout on the pioneer as well....who the f*** calls it a radiator belt. Its a fan belt. Seems like a real legit article there lol

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
From what I have seen, it appears to be the following items with a reason why.

Tie Rods - doing thier job bending as a fusible link from damaging more expensive parts. I have bent about 6 myself and each time I can attribute it to hitting things a bit harder than I should have or not paying attention.

A arms - low hanging fruit for big rocks to ding and bend. If traversing large rocks, speed kills from dings and bends, to ripping mounting tabs from frame. I have slightly bent or damaged 3 all from hitting rocks at speed. Personally I have seen aftermarket arched A arms give owners more trouble 3 to 1 over OEM, not outright failures but other issues besides bending. In each case it requires fixing before being able to ride.

Under frame & cross members - OEM skids provide minimal protection for 30% of the underbelly and zero protection for the remaining 70% Even with full coverage 1/2" UHMW skids the frame can sustain bends to the point it touches or even damages engine cases. I have bashed several tubes, all from nasty rocks. Have read and seen 2 engine cases busted from damaged crossmember hitting them. All from riding in a very rocky and rough terrain.

Steering racks - after taking several bent tie rods do get loose, some fail haven't seen any first hand failures but I'm sure speed had a contributing factor.

When these machines are loaded heavy and ran hard in rough rocky terrain they can and do sustain damage. Is it Hondas fault? Not really, they design a machine that serves 70% of its owners without issue, the deep mud & rocky terrain riders are the factor not designed into the machines durability. People who TRY to get stuck in the deepest craphole they can find, imitating submarines, replicating rock bouncers surely account for the majority of carnage.

If anything within reason Honda could offer proper underbelly protection. The Pioneer demographic is 40+ males with land acreage. That target group the Pioneer serves perfectly. The fact that a stock P1K can traverse Class 4 truck trails with little effort is a testament to its versatility. It is a swiss army knife of UTVs. Does many things very well, but a master of none, still name another machine that can carry 5 people at 67 mph then 10 minutes later haul a 1000 lbs of firewood while towing a 1 ton trailer.

I can see the guys intrested in the KRX for what it appears to be for what it shows on paper and showroom, for that niche group of rough trails it seems to be probably the most roomy and capable UTV. That said, let's see how it holds up over 5 years like the P1K has.

View attachment 202311

All valid points and you're not just stirring the pot for once.
One rebuttal. My steering rack broke and certainly wasn't from speed. But it probably had a lot to do with banging it through Tackett Creek.
I think a lot of issues with parts breaking comes from people asking the pioneer to do things it simply wasn't designed for. I don't recall any marketing materials suggesting you take a Pioneer up widowmaker at RRB or through No business holler in Tackett creek.... or the many other places we have gone.

Everything as a failure point. Things reach their limitations. Sometimes its the parts on your machine, sometimes its the idiot behind the wheel, sometimes both....Nothing is invincible.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I never dreamed I’d be taking my PK5 where I do. But that’s what has happened and although we try to make it better suited for that style... the machine just doesn’t always allow for the easiest platform to build off of.

You keep saying things like this ^^^ and "for the type of riding we do"... Your riding choices have changed a lot since buying the machine. I know when I bought mine I never thought I'd be doing all these trips. I'm sure when you bought the machine you weren't planning on going up Widowmaker at RRB or No business holler, or airplane hill, or any of the other places we've gone in Tackett and RRB. You/WE/ people in this group, are all asking the Pioneer to do things it simply wasn't designed to do. When you bought the machine you did so because it checked the most boxes out of any machine available AT THE TIME. There still isn't a machine that seats 5 people in the same footprint as the pioneer.

So now lets say you go get this new KRX thats got your panties wet. You think your riding will change? Will you attempt more challenging obstacles than you did in the pioneer? Of course you will. You've got double the suspension, taller tires, lower gearing, and don't forget DIFF LOCK!

You're still going to break shyt. You seem to do a better job or have worse luck, when it comes to breaking your machine. In the group of guys that have gone on the "overland" trips. Some have had significantly more repairs than others and we all went down the same trails. Chalk it up to whatever you want but I don't think 100% of the blame lays on the pioneer.

I love the platform.. and with a hand full of production changes it could be awesome.
Your idea of a "hand full" of changes is a lot more than you think. You basically want a 5 seat pioneer on a Talon or KRX Chasis. However, think about when you bought the machine. At that time you thought it was the greatest thing out there. And it was! It checked a lot of your boxes back then. Hindsight is 20/20 Yea we could make low LOWER and we could have better skid plates and Arched A-Arms and steel brake lines but its still a long way from traversing the trail like the KRX.

I don't disagree about how great a sport machine with flip up rear seats would be, BUT, how are you going to get 2 Asses between the rear wheels AND fit the shocks that have to be mounted at chest height? Then you have to fit the airbox and don't forget to put the engine in there somewhere in the middle without burning everybody's legs off. I don't see a way to get the suspension travel you want along with the geometry you need AND fit it all in the 5 seat design AND keep the short wheelbase. If you've got a way to make it all work call Robbie Gordon and I bet he would start building.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
What we all need is a Snuffoneer, but I lack the checkbook and fab skills required. @snuffnwhisky machine checks all the boxes for me except I'd need the rear seats. Excited to see how @joeymt33 and @ohanacreek work out.

J

JTW

hummmm.. I recall someone saying they shouldn’t have bought their LE after riding in the KRX.

But you’re not wrong... and I don’t disagree with most of it and the way in which we’re evolving. Other than Honda could have done a better job with certain features on the pioneer. I watched that shock therapy video the other day and it summed up Honda perfect. When he was talking about the talon and comparing it to the other machines in shop. He made the comment the talon was started in 2012 and was set to blow away the competition then. However, they took sooo long to get to market that they were passed up by competitors in today’s day and age. It’s 100% true and very honda. I dunno... maybe I’ll feel the same way in 4 years about the krx. Maybe our riding will change yet again. I just know that I’m tired of wrenching after every ride. And it’s not just me that’s dealing with this. Maybe it is better to ride them hard, put less money in them and trade every couple years. Or maybe I should just pull my f***ing saddle out of the barn and go back to old school.

J

JTW

What we all need is a Snuffoneer, but I lack the checkbook and fab skills required. @snuffnwhisky machine checks all the boxes for me except I'd need the rear seats. Excited to see how @joeymt33 and @ohanacreek work out.
That’s where I am... is it better to take the next step and do long travel and igr? Or do I say f*** it and buy a different machine. I would have been money ahead if I had never put a dime into the pioneer and just bought a sport machine to boot.

advertisement