RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What won you over? I want to hear all perceived pros and cons
I didn't like the bulkiness and the extra weight. its a beast but not what Im looking for. The talon has done everything we needed. I can do 70 in the desert and if I want to go in the mountains it goes right up. Not excited about the belt either

J

JTW

I like it but my Talon is so good. I'm going to turn 14,000 miles tomorrow and nothing broke. I think the weight hurt the KRX sales. The belt drive should be very good but maintenance every 100 hours or 1,200 miles is a deal breaker for me. Its way better then a RZR belt drive. I like the hand brake, tires, and wheels, etc. I had 2 Teryx models and put on around 22,000 miles without any failures but the belt change was a real PITA. There should be 2 new 1,000 cc Yamahas in June.
I didn't like the bulkiness and the extra weight. its a beast but not what Im looking for. The talon has done everything we needed. I can do 70 in the desert and if I want to go in the mountains it goes right up. Not excited about the belt either
What size tires are you all running?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
the comparison is less about the machine and more about the type of riding.

Honda forces you to out sooo much money into their product lines after purchase to make them trail ready.

You make a good point from your perspective.
When you guys are out on the trail how crowded is it?
Just based on my estimation, you are riding where you are to not be where all the other people are at. (could be wrong, but I think not)
And when you do see some one on the trail you are checking out there mods looking for good ideas.
These are not stock machines, you are not at the local mall.

But I’m getting tired of turning wrenches after every ride. Anyone that hasn’t done that yet, either hasn’t ridden where we do or hasn’t done it as long as we have.

Will the KRX be able to ride your trails and not need high maintenance?
(note the original sentence read: "Do you think you can beat the living s*** out of the KRX without it breaking? What the hell are you smoking?" but I didnt want to offend you so I churched it up a little)
I will be interested to see how @Kilo427 unit dose on the trails over time.
This will make a good science experiment, getting real world data is always difficult, it costs money (and in this case Kilo's money)
Hopefully I can make a ride or two to see it in action.

J

JTW

You make a good point from your perspective.
When you guys are out on the trail how crowded is it?
Just based on my estimation, you are riding where you are to not be where all the other people are at. (could be wrong, but I think not)
And when you do see some one on the trail you are checking out there mods looking for good ideas.
These are not stock machines, you are not at the local mall.

Will the KRX be able to ride your trails and not need high maintenance?
(note the original sentence read: "Do you think you can beat the living s*** out of the KRX without it breaking? What the hell are you smoking?" but I didnt want to offend you so I churched it up a little)
I will be interested to see how @Kilo427 unit dose on the trails over time.
This will make a good science experiment, getting real world data is always difficult, it costs money (and in this case Kilo's money)
Hopefully I can make a ride or two to see it in action.
I get we’re not in the “normal” when it comes to what we like. And I don’t disagree that the occasional rider wouldn’t have the same issues. But there are several things that could have made the Hondas shine and it’s as though they’re just dismissed because mother Honda knows best. It’s aggravating! There’s no reason the pioneer or the talon shouldn’t have had lower low gears. There’s no reason the pioneer shouldn’t have an adequate cooling system. There’s no reason they shouldn’t have stainless brake lines. It would cost Honda nothing to have arched a arms. The skid plates are a joke. Limited storage. And just 100 other things that nickel and dime us to death. It’s like you have this unbridled potential with the platforms that just lack real world experience. Either product line could have dominated the market but it’s just like they give us juuuust enough to get us to bite but kinda screw us too. You’ve heard it a hundred times from us. But now here is a machine that really does a good job at checking a lot of boxes with some major bang for your buck. Is it perfect? No! I’d love to see a krx with paddles, flip up rear seat in the bed and more power. But with all that said... it’s like they listened to what people were asking for.

I have no doubts we can tear one up... but have you looked them over? They’re beefy af!! They’re built for our kind of riding and should hold up better as they’re designed to do what we’re asking and don’t need the mods the red ones do. I know demographics, numbers and bs have much to do with what is presented. But come on... there are things that can be done to make them universally badass and save the customer a LOT of money. I don’t expect to have a machine I don’t have to do anything to or fix random flaws. But there is a difference between spending a little money on things and dumping money into a machine that just never quite gets you where you want to be. And for the love of GOD.... WHY HONDA AREN’T YOU PUTTING YOUR FLIP SEATS IN A 2 SEAT SPORT MACHINE??? Ugggh!!! Missing the mark big time with that one. Sooooo many of us bought the PK5 for those rear seats.

ok... I’m done ranting. Lol. And you know you won’t offend me... I’ve always had a thing for Asians! But yes.. time will tell how it handles abuse. I’m looking forward to finding out!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4BD200F4 307B 4854 934E FD35974B6AA7

@JTW

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
That’s true to some degree... but the comparison is less about the machine and more about the type of riding. People keep saying you take your pioneer everywhere the krx will go....

yeah, we do.
But I’m getting tired of turning wrenches after every ride.

Anyone that hasn’t done that yet, either hasn’t ridden where we do or hasn’t done it as long as we have. For about the same money as the stock deluxe pioneer you can be in a krx. And again... 10k into the pioneer and it’s still not the machine the krx is for what we do. Something more suited for the type of riding we like would be a nice little change. I just really really wish it had a flip up rear seat. Compare the krx to the pioneer 3 seat version and tell me how a pioneer out performs it for trial riding? As for the talon comparison... yes I agree it’s a better suited machine to compare to but it still doesn’t compare. Honda forces you to out sooo much money into their product lines after purchase to make them trail ready.

What's breaking ? aftermarket suspension stuff or what ?

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What's breaking ? aftermarket suspension stuff or what ?
From what I have seen, it appears to be the following items with a reason why.

Tie Rods - doing thier job bending as a fusible link from damaging more expensive parts. I have bent about 6 myself and each time I can attribute it to hitting things a bit harder than I should have or not paying attention.

A arms - low hanging fruit for big rocks to ding and bend. If traversing large rocks, speed kills from dings and bends, to ripping mounting tabs from frame. I have slightly bent or damaged 3 all from hitting rocks at speed. Personally I have seen aftermarket arched A arms give owners more trouble 3 to 1 over OEM, not outright failures but other issues besides bending. In each case it requires fixing before being able to ride.

Under frame & cross members - OEM skids provide minimal protection for 30% of the underbelly and zero protection for the remaining 70% Even with full coverage 1/2" UHMW skids the frame can sustain bends to the point it touches or even damages engine cases. I have bashed several tubes, all from nasty rocks. Have read and seen 2 engine cases busted from damaged crossmember hitting them. All from riding in a very rocky and rough terrain.

Steering racks - after taking several bent tie rods do get loose, some fail haven't seen any first hand failures but I'm sure speed had a contributing factor.

When these machines are loaded heavy and ran hard in rough rocky terrain they can and do sustain damage. Is it Hondas fault? Not really, they design a machine that serves 70% of its owners without issue, the deep mud & rocky terrain riders are the factor not designed into the machines durability. People who TRY to get stuck in the deepest craphole they can find, imitating submarines, replicating rock bouncers surely account for the majority of carnage.

If anything within reason Honda could offer proper underbelly protection. The Pioneer demographic is 40+ males with land acreage. That target group the Pioneer serves perfectly. The fact that a stock P1K can traverse Class 4 truck trails with little effort is a testament to its versatility. It is a swiss army knife of UTVs. Does many things very well, but a master of none, still name another machine that can carry 5 people at 67 mph then 10 minutes later haul a 1000 lbs of firewood while towing a 1 ton trailer.

I can see the guys intrested in the KRX for what it appears to be for what it shows on paper and showroom, for that niche group of rough trails it seems to be probably the most roomy and capable UTV. That said, let's see how it holds up over 5 years like the P1K has.

FB IMG 1589395141148

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
From what I have seen, it appears to be the following items with a reason why.

Tie Rods - doing thier job bending as a fusible link from damaging more expensive parts. I have bent about 6 myself and each time I can attribute it to hitting things a bit harder than I should have or not paying attention.

A arms - low hanging fruit for big rocks to ding and bend. If traversing large rocks, speed kills from dings and bends, to ripping mounting tabs from frame. I have slightly bent or damaged 3 all from hitting rocks at speed. Personally I have seen aftermarket arched A arms give owners more trouble 3 to 1 over OEM, not outright failures but other issues besides bending. In each case it requires fixing before being able to ride.

Under frame & cross members - OEM skids provide minimal protection for 30% of the underbelly and zero protection for the remaining 70% Even with full coverage 1/2" UHMW skids the frame can sustain bends to the point it touches or even damages engine cases. I have bashed several tubes, all from nasty rocks. Have read and seen 2 engine cases busted from damaged crossmember hitting them. All from riding in a very rocky and rough terrain.

Steering racks - after taking several bent tie rods do get loose, some fail haven't seen any first hand failures but I'm sure speed had a contributing factor.

When these machines are loaded heavy and ran hard in rough rocky terrain they can and do sustain damage. Is it Hondas fault? Not really, they design a machine that serves 70% of its owners without issue, the deep mud & rocky terrain riders are the factor not designed into the machines durability. People who TRY to get stuck in the deepest craphole they can find, imitating submarines, replicating rock bouncers surely account for the majority of carnage.

If anything within reason Honda could offer proper underbelly protection. The Pioneer demographic is 40+ males with land acreage. That target group the Pioneer serves perfectly. The fact that a stock P1K can traverse Class 4 truck trails with little effort is a testament to its versatility. It is a swiss army knife of UTVs. Does many things very well, but a master of none, still name another machine that can carry 5 people at 67 mph then 10 minutes later haul a 1000 lbs of firewood while towing a 1 ton trailer.

I can see the guys intrested in the KRX for what it appears to be for what it shows on paper and showroom, for that niche group of rough trails it seems to be probably the most roomy and capable UTV. That said, let's see how it holds up over 5 years like the P1K has.

View attachment 202311
I’ll agree with you for the most part. Some do run it harder then it was designed for. Being such a heavy machine with such a diverse capability I do believe a couple things could’ve been beefed up in the front end, better engine protection and side bars though. The Swiss Army analogy was spot on! For all what it’s capable of doing it’s hard to beat for many.

J

JTW

I agree mostly.. it’s not a bad machine. But there are things that Honda could have done much better. There are items that get addressed with no mention of warranty or product updates. Take the a arm bolt holes for instance. The new stuff has a weld washer. I fully realize no machine is perfect. And the pioneer is good... but for minimal cost it could have been a WHOLE lot better. There are multiple things that would have improved the durability and long term cost to the customer if they would just do it.

J

JTW

I want to hear opinions of the drawbacks and possible issues with the krx as well... this isn’t a bash Honda thread. We all bought them for a reason and that changes and evolves over time. I never dreamed I’d be taking my PK5 where I do. But that’s what has happened and although we try to make it better suited for that style... the machine just doesn’t always allow for the easiest platform to build off of. I love the platform.. and with a hand full of production changes it could be awesome but at this point. I don’t see spending anymore money on it when there are other machines better suited for the riding. Although, I sure wish the other was better suited for family riding.

advertisement