HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Yes... but with 10k extra into the pioneer you’d think it would be better than it is. The krx is just a very very good machine in a stock form for our type of riding
$10k in after the fact, but you fit the family in it and took it where the KRX went. It might not be as comfortable or capable as a sport machine but there's nothing else that will haul all your s*** in the footprint the P1k has. I really like the KRX, but comparing it to our Pioneers isn't exactly apples to apples.

J

JTW

So, the yami is awesome.. I rode with @joeymt33 in @snuffnwhisky yxz at mulberry. It had gobs of power and felt planted to the trail. It took the abuse like a red headed step child, from the red headed child. With that said. It lacks the low end necessary for crawling. It is sportier and has less room. I felt it could use more ground clearance. I also hear they’re making a little something to address the lack of low end. But we’re getting back to what’s most practical for the bang for your buck.
I’m telling ya... After playing with the krx. It’s a reeeeeally good option for our type of riding. It’s not quite as sporty as the turbos but for what we do. It’s awesome! I see no reason why it can’t be used as an overland vehicle, in fact we’ll find out this year in Moab!

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
So, the yami is awesome.. I rode with @joeymt33 in @snuffnwhisky yxz at mulberry. It had gobs of power and felt planted to the trail. It took the abuse like a red headed step child, from the red headed child. With that said. It lacks the low end necessary for crawling. It is sportier and has less room. I felt it could use more ground clearance. I also hear they’re making a little something to address the lack of low end. But we’re getting back to what’s most practical for the bang for your buck.
I’m telling ya... After playing with the krx. It’s a reeeeeally good option for our type of riding. It’s not quite as sporty as the turbos but for what we do. It’s awesome! I see no reason why it can’t be used as an overland vehicle, in fact we’ll find out this year in Moab!
They have changed the gearing in the YXZ for 2019 and 2020. Lower 1st and 2nd I think. But again I must agree with you on the KRX and what I/we want in a machine for our style of riding. I would get the white. No I'm not racist.

J

JTW

$10k in after the fact, but you fit the family in it and took it where the KRX went. It might not be as comfortable or capable as a sport machine but there's nothing else that will haul all your s*** in the footprint the P1k has. I really like the KRX, but comparing it to our Pioneers isn't exactly apples to apples.
I’m aware... that’s why I bought the PK5. But I’m also aware I and the rest of the bunch like me are now having to turn a wrench after every ride to keep them going. I’m over that s***. We have to beat on them to do what the sport machines do with a lot more ease. That’s the big kicker and why I say I wish the krx had flip up rear seats like the pk5.
It’s the difference between a p500 and the 1000. And I can assure you there are places the krx will go the pioneer just wont. But I can’t haul all he family in the krx. So there’s my hang up. I would have been better off not putting a dime into the PK5 and just buying a sport machine to boot. My point being, just Honda doesn’t offer what others offer for a trail ready machine. Their sport machine suffers many of the same draw backs as the pioneer line.

J

JTW

They have changed the gearing in the YXZ for 2019 and 2020. Lower 1st and 2nd I think. But again I must agree with you on the KRX and what I/we want in a machine for our style of riding. I would get the white. No I'm not racist.
Snuff’s is a 19 as I recall. He And Joey can speak better about that comparison but you just have to hit stuff with more. It’s the same issue I have with my pk5 and the 30” berserkers.

Reactions: Smitty335
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Snuff’s is a 19 as I recall. He And Joey can speak better about that comparison but you just have to hit stuff with more. It’s the same issue I have with my pk5 and the 30” berserkers.
No I get it. And that's exactly what I've heard from guys that own them.

Reactions: Smitty335 and JTW
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
For me Cabin comfort is best with the Yami. The seats tilted too far back sounds like heaven to me.
The Talon isn't even a consideration with the lack of room for folks taller than 6 ft and I'll have to test drive the KRX VS the YXZ to determine the best ride for me. Do you guys think the KRX is better than the YXZ and why?
The yxz is a go cart/race car on steroids. It is a blast to drive but more extreme rock crawling even with the gear reduction is difficult compared to the pioneer. If your going to rock crawl with the yxz your going to have to do upgrades. The KRX looks awesome everywhere outside of the power to weight. I havent drove one to hear the noise yet being belted. @JTW hows the noise? The only real issues ive saw with the krx is the front knuckles braking from the built in steering stops. People were grinding them off to fix it. Yami is suppose to have a machine between the yxz and wolverine announced this summer.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm a Yamaha guy but the more I look at how I ride the KRX makes more sense to me. The YXZ very little storage with the radiator now in the rear. I'm still skeptical about its 1st and 2nd gear gearing. That being said it seems to be very sporty and a fun machine to drive. The KRX with the Yamaha style CVT is a huge plus. Electronically diff engagement is what I currently have and has never failed me. Like JTW said it checks all the boxes.

Wait......... did I just agree with JTW ?

Yamaha has a factory gear reduction kit and a high friction clutch for the SS model, but the pair is a 2K hit, but might be the ticket for YXZ trail riding using bigger tires.

Screenshot 20200512 010514 ChromeScreenshot 20200512 010455 ChromeScreenshot 20200512 010234 ChromeScreenshot 20200512 010211 Chrome

That said of the Yamaha, the Kawasaki KRX from the two times I saw and sat in them seemed to have far more room and comfort in driver/ passenger area than the Talon. Have not ridden in one, but I am intrigued by this discussion. I was surprised to see the KRX has about 9" longer wheelbase than Talon 1000R but a noticeably tighter turning radius than the Talon.

For s***s n grins looked up KRX axles and same part# for all 4 corners 👍 but damn $626 for 1 complete axle 🤯. Guess if they don't break easily may be worth it.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Yamaha has a factory gear reduction kit and a high friction clutch for the SS model, but the pair is a 2K hit, but might be the ticket for YXZ trail riding using bigger tires.

View attachment 202094View attachment 202095View attachment 202096View attachment 202097

That said of the Yamaha, the Kawasaki KRX from the two times I saw and sat in them seemed to have far more room and comfort in driver/ passenger area than the Talon. Have not ridden in one, but I am intrigued by this discussion. I was surprised to see the KRX has about 9" longer wheelbase than Talon 1000R but a noticeably tighter turning radius than the Talon.

For s***s n grins looked up KRX axles and same part# for all 4 corners 👍 but damn $626 for 1 complete axle 🤯. Guess if they don't break easily may be worth it.
Honda screwed up and mounted the front diff to far back causing the cv angle to be at too much angle on the inside turning wheel and had to limit travel.

J

JTW

The yxz is a go cart/race car on steroids. It is a blast to drive but more extreme rock crawling even with the gear reduction is difficult compared to the pioneer. If your going to rock crawl with the yxz your going to have to do upgrades. The KRX looks awesome everywhere outside of the power to weight. I havent drove one to hear the noise yet being belted. @JTW hows the noise? The only real issues ive saw with the krx is the front knuckles braking from the built in steering stops. People were grinding them off to fix it. Yami is suppose to have a machine between the yxz and wolverine announced this summer.
I was surprised... it didn’t have a roof on it but it wasn’t really much louder than my pioneer. I didn’t find it overbearing in anyway. It was much better than the rzrs.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get that but what's it issues ?
No dealer support. Barely any dealers anymore. On brink of closing up. My buddy found out the hard way with his textron havoc x . Any part is either back ordered or discontinued. I will say the cats have some nice designs. But some how fails to meet the expectations.

Reactions: Smitty335 and JTW
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes... but with 10k extra into the pioneer you’d think it would be better than it is. The krx is just a very very good machine in a stock form for our type of riding
Well we cant bash the pioneer too bad. We go anywhere those built up razrs go and with most of their mods putting them ahead of a factory krx. The place where the krx should have a big edge on pioneer or other 2 seats is that its 12' long and the tires stick out front and backward. It's a factory crawler with everything we will ever need either already on it or available through the dealer

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 202094View attachment 202095View attachment 202096View attachment 202097

The KRX has quite a lot of room - i am 5'10" and I had to scoot the seat just about to the front. never felt cramped and I also liked the doors.

The KRX has a good bit of cargo space , it is not going to compete with the pioneer as far as what you can haul and your right the two machines are in different categories but you compare what you know. I went up and down two hill that I would not have attempted with the Pioneer ... heck one I did not want to do in the KRX but it handled it with ease. It would carry my overland gear easily - just not mine and someone else's

I have read mixed results on the heat in the cab - some say no heat others say there is a little... probably same as pioneer if you enclose it you will get heat.

There have been a few issues with the KRX but it seem Kawi jumped on them quickly to get fixed and the only thing now is a few are breaking knuckles as @snuffnwhisky stated... but Kawi already has new parts out.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No dealer support. Barely any dealers anymore. On brink of closing up. My buddy found out the hard way with his textron havoc x . Any part is either back ordered or discontinued. I will say the cats have some nice designs. But some how fails to meet the expectations.
But Bass pro shop is selling and servicing their brand which is exactly same thing

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Being in the boating industry I completely understand that. Doesn't matter how nice a product is when there is a lack of support and parts availability.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting to hear them say the Talon has the loudest cab... I was not able to say which one would be louder but I was suprised the KRX was not louder - granted Kilo's did not have a roof too

Talon seems fun to run at desert speeds (R) or on smooth trails (x) the KRX is not winning any land speed records but seeps to be built for East coast trails where you are doing some climbing, some rocks and some rough trail riding where speed is not the main factor