Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I might find out real quick that i am not as interested in learning about tires as i think lol

there is just so many different tread patterns out there I would be interested in knowing what characteristics are important for what element or terrain type - Granted in can pretty much all be boiled down to Hard pack, Loose, Mud or AT but there are different characteristics of tires and well I just be interested in learning about...
I didn’t know which tire I wanted until I put them in the cart and clicked the submit order button. Heck, even then I wasn’t really sure.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn’t know which tire I wanted until I put them in the cart and clicked the submit order button. Heck, even then I wasn’t really sure.
I would never tell anyone my 28x12s Berserkers are the best, BUT I will say I don't have ANY complaints about them. Not sure what more could be expected. Yeah, they are heavy, but also TOUGH!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Driver matters most imo when it comes to tires. Tires matter too, but imo the driver tips the scale.

I’ve seen good drivers go places off road on racing slicks that novice drivers couldn’t get to with new tractor tires.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I might find out real quick that i am not as interested in learning about tires as i think lol

there is just so many different tread patterns out there I would be interested in knowing what characteristics are important for what element or terrain type - Granted in can pretty much all be boiled down to Hard pack, Loose, Mud or AT but there are different characteristics of tires and well I just be interested in learning about...
@Ragnar406 sorry for the long delay.
Had the week from hell as my employer was hit with a computer virus.
Many pc where rendered useless with the black screen of death, including mine (lost 26 years of the crap I thought was worth keeping on my hard drive).

Anyway, I have not found a truly good ATV or SxS tire test.
I have seen some comparisons but none that where truly good.
Also I have seen plenty of people swear up and down that there cheap chinese knock off was every bit as good as the real thing (that they have never driven on because they where to cheap to buy them).

When I wanted new tires for my truck last time I found this:

I wanted a better mud tire to deal with my fields in the spring time.
Ended up with Cooper SSTs on my truck.
In the years since I have found myself in a situation where I thought I would not have pulled through without them exactly once.
I chose the right tire for about 7'. Apperently I learned to stay on the gravel drive in spring time.

Somthing at this level with NHS tires would be great.
It probably exists in some honda engineers desk in Japan.
For my p500 I will probably go with a Bighorn 2.
Not in to mud, radial construction so it will air down well, good tread pattern for rock and hard pack traction.
But, the p500 is a special case - low power.
Your mileage may vary.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Also I have seen plenty of people swear up and down that there cheap chinese knock off was every bit as good as the real thing (that they have never driven on because they where to cheap to buy them).
I have the cheap RMATV/Chapmoto OG Big Horn knock offs. I'm actually very pleased with them, given the price.

Are they as good as real bighorns? Pffffttt...good Lord, no. BH's where the last tire I ran on my 700, and are easily the best tire I've run. Super supple, yet tough. And they looked quality.
They seemed like they might last 2 times as long as the knockoffs, begging the question as to just how much of a bargain they are...but the truth is I've always planned to ditch the 500 when permitting, so I didn't want to load it up with premium rubber for someone else to enjoy.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
From what I've experienced on tires, tight for rock and loose for mud. Sticky tires help with hard pack but wear fast. I've been happy with a more mud aggressive tire in the rear and rock tire in the front. Think about the front has the least weight distribution going uphill and needs more traction.

Last edited:

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I set out with the intention of buying a Talon today. On the way, we stopped at a multi-line store to compare the Talon, and KRX alongside one another. I like the seating position, and visibility out of the Talon better, as well as the engine/DCT combo, and the harness ready seats, but have to admit the KRX puts it to shame in many other aspects. I ended up hitting the pause button, and am re-evaluating.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
A question for those with KRX experience, especially if you have ridden in super dusty areas, how does the air filter hold up? Did they do a good job with the air intake location?

Reactions: GWH and JTW
J

JTW

I set out with the intention of buying a Talon today. On the way, we stopped at a multi-line store to compare the Talon, and KRX alongside one another. I like the seating position, and visibility out of the Talon better, as well as the engine/DCT combo, and the harness ready seats, but have to admit the KRX puts it to shame in many other aspects. I ended up hitting the pause button, and am re-evaluating.
I’m loving the KRX!!

Reactions: 1HasBeen and sharp
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The krx on 35” Rockzillas making the pioneer with a 3” lift and 30’s look tiny. Lol.
32C0E7EE CF10 4004 A7B4 D587225DDFA9

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A question for those with KRX experience, especially if you have ridden in super dusty areas, how does the air filter hold up? Did they do a good job with the air intake location?
It can’t be any worse than the Talon imo.

Reactions: Mudwing

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It can’t be any worse than the Talon imo.
There is no doubt about that. Honda totally screwed the pooch on that boondoggle. Just trying to find out if it has reasonable filter life. I have off roaded my whole life without a $400 "electric air cleaner", and don't want to start now.

Reactions: JTW
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I agree, the Talon's intake is poorly thought out but a simple fix. I cleaned it for the first time at 1066 solo miles, it was very dirty but still flowing air.

The Hondabob solution except he puts the filter up under the roof, I didn't.

1066 miles -
I KRxxBDV L

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m probably one of the few that after just a snorkel out the hood (courtesy of @joeymt33) I really like the front mount intake on the Pioneer 1000. 3500 on mine so far. Checked around 2500 still good, nothing to clean.
Even though it’s better for extreme water travel, friends that have snorkeled into the cab I’m just not a fan of because of the noise at higher rpm’s.

Reactions: CID and joeymt33