BOX1

Leaking again

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We loaded up the talon R for some riding today. In the past the same front left differential seal that was leaking and repaired has had a little grease on so I assumed it was from grease used during the reassembly, it isn't, its leaking again. Oil puddled under the front diff left hand side same as before. Also noticed a loud popping sound from the rear right side when cold, more noticeable when turning to the right.

These will be the third and fourth issue in under 750 miles.

• Sad
Reactions: CID
H

HondaTech

Have you checked your diff vent?

A member on here found his to be clogged with glue and could be the underlying issue for a leaky seal.

The popping in the rear happens to my GMs R as well from time to time. He's put several hundred miles since it started and seems to not have affected anything. His is really bad after sitting for awhile. Pops when first moved and then stops.

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Checked the vent its open. The popping would stop after riding for a little but now is getting more noticeable and louder. I'm going to see if it gets worse on hard surfaces in the next few days. Maybe it will break before warranty goes out.

Reactions: BigOL3
spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
The popping is coming from the rear axles. They will replace them under warranty. After getting mine replaced the first time under warranty, I opted to get aftermarket axles the second time to see how long they will stay quiet. My Talon has around 800 miles on it.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm at 15,000 miles on my 2019 Talon and get rear axle clicking while turning on a hard surface occasionally. It can be hard to reproduce. Haven't noticed it on my 2020 Talon but I only have 2,000 miles on it. My right rear wheel bearing on my 2019 has too much play so I'm having it replaced.

Sawpilot

Sawpilot

Sep 6, 2018
West Virginia
barnwoodbuilds.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm at 15,000 miles on my 2019 Talon and get rear axle clicking while turning on a hard surface occasionally. It can be hard to reproduce. Haven't noticed it on my 2020 Talon but I only have 2,000 miles on it. My right rear wheel bearing on my 2019 has too much play so I'm having it replaced.
I have 3500 miles on my talon 1000R I have that clicking noise in the rear when I’m doing turns has anybody figured out if it’s axles or wheel bearing

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have 3500 miles on my talon 1000R I have that clicking noise in the rear when I’m doing turns has anybody figured out if it’s axles or wheel bearing

A wheel bearing doesn't usually click when it goes bad. Tends to be more of a rotational groaning noise. Clicking is definitely the axles. Most likely the CV's themselves and not the axle shaft splines. Or at least I hope thats not the issue!

I'd probably do aftermarket axles if the funds allowed. Warrantys are great to some extent, but what good does the warranty do for you when your 40+ miles from home or your trailer and its broken and unable to make it back?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The front dif seal gets a 2021 seal now, looks like an improved seal. A few of the guys have had the left front seal replaced twice.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The front dif seal gets a 2021 seal now, looks like an improved seal. A few of the guys have had the left front seal replaced twice.
My left front was leaking at 300 miles (2020) and in the shop to get replaced. I did remove the vent line from the frame nipple and ran the largest drill bit that would fit in the nipple (by hand). I didn't put a vacuum on it so I don't know if it was plugged or not. There's a video where someone did that and it definitely held vacuum - so not functioning as a vent. Pressure build up in the diff from heat pushes grease past the seal. That video is linked in the thread in my sig if anyone cares to see it.

Reactions: Mudwing
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I ordered a couple of the updated seals for mine just to have on hand. Mine had some wetness around the LF seal early on and then stopped. The seals are cheap & easy to replace. I've actually had the front diff out twice working on the front gear noise but still have the original seals installed.

Reactions: Mudwing
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
New better design oil seal? Really? If this low speed shaft seal is leaking at 200 or 700 miles, I can't believe it is the seals fault. With so many getting replaced, has anyone (mechanics) shown closeup pictures of the damaged seals? Is there any wear at a particular location each time? There may be merit to the vent line being the cause. If that is the cause, the seal probably doesn't even need to be replaced. Internal pressure could easily push oil out at the seal surface contact point. And I don't see that damaging the seal. I have pulled the vent tubes on my 70 miles old machine to check for for blockage at the nipples-and had none. I guess the vent hose connecting into the frame was to save another rubber hose meandering through the machine. What I don't know is, where is the other opening in the frame preventing pressure build up. Is there another escape hole, or do I need to drill a hole (large enough) in the frame somewhere? If the frame is part of the vent system, there needs to be a large hole somewhere to allow pressure to escape. There is a lot of surface area in the frame. As it heats up and cools down, it would need a good size nostril to breath.

H

HondaTech

New better design oil seal? Really? If this low speed shaft seal is leaking at 200 or 700 miles, I can't believe it is the seals fault. With so many getting replaced, has anyone (mechanics) shown closeup pictures of the damaged seals? Is there any wear at a particular location each time? There may be merit to the vent line being the cause. If that is the cause, the seal probably doesn't even need to be replaced. Internal pressure could easily push oil out at the seal surface contact point. And I don't see that damaging the seal. I have pulled the vent tubes on my 70 miles old machine to check for for blockage at the nipples-and had none. I guess the vent hose connecting into the frame was to save another rubber hose meandering through the machine. What I don't know is, where is the other opening in the frame preventing pressure build up. Is there another escape hole, or do I need to drill a hole (large enough) in the frame somewhere? If the frame is part of the vent system, there needs to be a large hole somewhere to allow pressure to escape. There is a lot of surface area in the frame. As it heats up and cools down, it would need a good size nostril to breath.

Honda has since awoken to the vent line clogging issue.

There are plenty of holes in the frame, all the harness tie holes and brake line hold down holes are perfectly sealed.

Plus I'm sure there's vent holes or drains somewhere.

Oh and as for popping axles, our racecar has had one for almost the entire ixcr series and the 12 hour TexPlex race and never skipped a beat.

Reactions: Doogle and TripleB
D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I actually thought my front seal was leaking again but after checking the level and cleaning it up with grease remover it shows no signs of leaking. I'm assuming they used a lot of grease during assembly and is was seeping out. Anyway good so far! Wish they would have had the red and white scheme in 2020.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Where abouts is this vent line one should check? Thanks guys

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I studied welding for a few years and spent a lot of time on forums, there were several roll cage builders posting their projects. All cages are vented to atmosphere, they have to be or the expanding hot air will blow out the weld just as you try to finish the last one.
Where abouts is this vent line one should check? Thanks guys
That info is in post 17, linked in my sig below - New Talon Owners - First Things to Know and Check.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have pulled the vent tubes on my 70 miles old machine to check for for blockage at the nipples-and had none.
The hose is not what usually gets plugged, it is the little plastic nipple that is stuck in the frame. It is VERY hard to get out and may break so to test it, I leave it in the frame and put another short piece of hose on the nipple and test. So far, I have found a half dozen nipples that were plugged but only one hose.

FYI, the frame has holes all over the place and the nipple itself even leaks where it meets the frame. There is plenty of venting available as long and the hose and nipple are clear.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
The hose is not what usually gets plugged, it is the little plastic nipple that is stuck in the frame.

FYI, the frame has holes all over the place and the nipple itself even leaks where it meets the frame. There is plenty of venting available as long and the hose and nipple are clear.
Yes, I blew through the hose and nipples. And I indexed a few drill bits to be sure there was a decent size air path.

Reactions: CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!