P500 Let’s talk....Windshield

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Holy crap. Do you guys do anything to stop the heat from the engine coming up the seat. And how far can you ride at 100 degrees. Wow. In lots of trees and shade. Hopefully. Fall is our best time up here. Nice and cool, no bugs, and the fall colours. Got this picture today from my brother inCape Breton . A nice trail on a hot day. His RZR is in back.
CaperView attachment 80804
Thru Internet Walmart, actually from Unhinged ATV, free shipping. Heat index around 100 common here. Hope this helps. Reminds me of my prior FJ40 with windshield down (pic not me), wish I still had it! $$
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tusk-UTV-Hinged-windshield-Fits-Honda-Pioneer-500-2015-2017/497194888

View attachment 80803
We have a lot in common. Haha I had a ‘74 FJ40. Took the top off a few times and put a Jeep bikini on. Went to Cape Breton with my wife, just going out then. Rained and then got stuck not far from that last picture. Haha
Caper

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Do you guys do anything to stop the heat from the engine coming up the seat

Everyone should do this to a P5 and most have. Rode @Remington 's when he first bought his and it didn't have a barrier, forgot how noisy these things could be. Several ways of reducing the noise and heat. I've tried a couple of them and found that thin rubber works best.

Rubber

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Everyone should do this to a P5 and most have. Rode @Remington 's when he first bought his and it didn't have a barrier, forgot how noisy these things could be. Several ways of reducing the noise and heat. I've tried a couple of them and found that thin rubber works best.

View attachment 80815
Thanks trigger. How thick is it. That’s great for the summer up here. I’ll take it off in the fall. Haha
Caper

Reactions: Remington
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What windshields are you guys using and what do you prefer and why? Really think I want a half windshield but looking for advice..pictures are a plus
I’m running the stock oem Honda windshield, it’s pretty good but I wish I’d bought the super atv windshield instead because it flips up.

Reactions: Caper and 100Acre
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running the stock oem Honda windshield, it’s pretty good but I wish I’d bought the super atv windshield instead because it flips up.
i have the hard coat flip up from Honda
Caper

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just recently installed the old heat and noise barrier from @trigger on top of the one I had already made. I'd say the combination of the two is nearly 3/4" thick and boy does it ever cut down on the heat and noise! Thanks Trigger!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I just recently installed the old heat and noise barrier from @trigger on top of the one I had already made. I'd say the combination of the two is nearly 3/4" thick and boy does it ever cut down on the heat and noise! Thanks Trigger!

Wondered if you ever got around to using it, anytime brother.

Reactions: 100Acre and Caper
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Does it get sticky from the heat,?

Not at all and the best part is you can power wash the machine and leave it in. I put two little holes in it where it sags behind the seats, what little water puddled now drains out. I actually just cut a new one and giving my old one to @Remington . The only change I've noticed is that it gets a little stiffer over time but not to the point of cracking or anything.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not at all and the best part is you can power wash the machine and leave it in. I put two little holes in it where it sags behind the seats, what little water puddled now drains out. I actually just cut a new one and giving my old one to @Remington . The only change I've noticed is that it gets a little stiffer over time but not to the point of cracking or anything.
Do you get the rubber stuff at the big hardware stores, roofing section. I'd imagine?

Reactions: trigger and Caper
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Do you get the rubber stuff at the big hardware stores, roofing section. I'd imagine?

I don't know if the big box stores carry it or not. I get it from whichever roofer is working for me at the time that I need it. Don't know if you guys have Wimsatt down there but they might carry it. Or just go by a commercial construction project and you'll probably find enough in the dumpster. The amount we need is nothing for a roofing company. ;)

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
Took a little different approach with my windshield. I bought a EMP hard coated windshield and cut it. Bought some rubber backing and a hinges from Lowes. Mine folds up to open which allows me to access my hood. It also keeps most of the rain out when closed because its tucked under the roof. My wife and I are vertically challenged (5'5") so the hinge doesn't affect our vision. If your 5'10" on down you should be good. The top part is tinted and is great for keeping the sun out of your eyes. I've been running it for about a year and half on primarily narrow trails in thick woods and haven't had a problem yet

20180713 150317 20180713 150228

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 80815
Hi trigger. Got the EPDM. Thanks. Just wondering what you did , if anything, to keep it in place on the sides and the front. I see the tie wraps for the seat posts and seat belt and the back but. Ant tell wats going on in front and the sides. I was thinking maybe Velcro. But would it stick. Give me a shout back when you can. Thanks again for the tip.
Caper

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hi trigger. Got the EPDM. Thanks. Just wondering what you did , if anything, to keep it in place on the sides and the front. I see the tie wraps for the seat posts and seat belt and the back but. Ant tell wats going on in front and the sides. I was thinking maybe Velcro. But would it stick. Give me a shout back when you can. Thanks again for the tip.
Caper

It just stays where it's at once you put the seat in place. It's not a super light material so it stays in place pretty good.

Reactions: Remington
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Caper
It just stays where it's at once you put the seat in place. It's not a super light material so it stays in place pretty good.
Thanks trigger. Got it tie wrapped to the back and starting to cut for the seat posts and seatbelt. Thanks again.
Caper

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!