Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I think I have the Btech uv-x2 If anyone figures out what few channels we are going to use let me know so I can just key them in lol.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I have the Btech uv-x2 If anyone figures out what few channels we are going to use let me know so I can just key them in lol.

I took some initiative since no one had yet , it doesn’t matter to me what we use.

The CSV file above has all the public channels in it too. Chirp provides those but I’m not sure if the TYT software does.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I took some initiative since no one had yet , it doesn’t matter to me what we use.

The CSV file above has all the public channels in it too. Chirp provides those but I’m not sure if the TYT software does.

Are you saying you're setting up a list of channels for the takeover?

@ohanacreek or @Ragnar406 You would have to pick the frequencies but maybe a few channels like this

1. RRB Base Camp
2. @Windrock1000 and @JACKAL - Since they are local and if people get lost they would know where to find them.
3. Night ride channel
4. Day use 1
5. Day use 2
6. Day use 3
7. Day use 4

If we had a few pre set day use channels and folks are going out as a group its easier to say "hey lets get on Day use 1" etc. Could make getting organized easier and more efficient then switch back over to the Base Camp channel upon return. If a group stays on a channel at camp and on the trail it will probably turn into a cluster F*** real fast.

Another option is to set channels based on areas of the park but I think that could get very confusing and problematic.

Not sure if windrock and Jackal want that kind of responsibility or if they have the ability to monitor a couple channels

Just some thoughts

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you saying you're setting up a list of channels for the takeover?

@ohanacreek or @Ragnar406 You would have to pick the frequencies but maybe a few channels like this

1. RRB Base Camp
2. @Windrock1000 and @JACKAL - Since they are local and if people get lost they would know where to find them.
3. Night ride channel
4. Day use 1
5. Day use 2
6. Day use 3
7. Day use 4

If we had a few pre set day use channels and folks are going out as a group its easier to say "hey lets get on Day use 1" etc. Could make getting organized easier and more efficient then switch back over to the Base Camp channel upon return. If a group stays on a channel at camp and on the trail it will probably turn into a cluster F*** real fast.

Another option is to set channels based on areas of the park but I think that could get very confusing and problematic.

Not sure if windrock and Jackal want that kind of responsibility or if they have the ability to monitor a couple channels

Just some thoughts

Good points, expanding on them.
I will be glad to work with @Ragnar406 to get everything organized and setup.

We could make any number of channels. Right now there’s @100 registrations with probably 150-200 machines if every last person showed up.

Each riding group would need at least two channels.Main for the group and each trail leader and “caboose” could use a channel.

We also would need a main and an emergency channel.

That should be plenty only two channels for most everyone but trail leaders to worry with Trail Group/Main during a ride with the Trailgroup being the primary.

It would be very helpful if people understood the basics of THEIR radio.

How to change channels (presets) is EASY once you know but it can be hard to just pick it up and “figure out” without reading the manual. I know that’s grounds for loosing your man card but just do it. So you can swap trail group channels on your own.

Those with mobile radios like the TYT and the BTECH can monitor more than 2 channels so they can help in case of emergency.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015

How to change channels (presets) is EASY once you know but it can be hard to just pick it up and “figure out” without reading the manual. I know that’s grounds for loosing your man card but just do it. So you can swap trail group channels on your own.

I cant read Chinese though

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Btech uv 50-x2, Im messing with you some of the manual is in english but that doesn't mean I understand it lol. Hopefully the csv file you make will work on mine lol.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
"ohanacreek, post: 258712, member: 135"]Good points, expanding on them.

LMAO you know thats gonna be a problem. Thats why im going to the ride in march so i can say "here @Ragnar406 make this ready for the takeover" ;) I'm kidding I'll figure mine out. I feel like I'm missing out on a second world of top secret stuff.

A little preparation will go a long way toward having a fun stress free ride.

Those with mobile radios like the TYT and the BTECH can monitor more than 2 channels so they can help in case of emergency.

How many channels can we monitor at once with these?

advertisement
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

LMAO you know thats gonna be a problem. Thats why im going to the ride in march so i can say "here @Ragnar406 make this ready for the takeover" ;) I'm kidding I'll figure mine out. I feel like I'm missing out on a second world of top secret stuff.

I understand the basics, but not much more than that. I know you can monitor more than one channel, but I haven’t figured out how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
O gosh, I am more than willing to help. I remember something like this got started of last years take over and I seem to remember they ended up deciding on 1 or 2 freq/channels to be main channels and then allowed the groups going out to chose their own (as long as they were not the main channels) Will need to go back and find that posting. I am not sure how it all ended up working out last year.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

We will get you set up in March. I think I programmed 6 radios last Mulberry lol. the key is really getting your freq programed prior so you don't have to mess with any of that on the trail. Also a little practice so that your familiar with the functions of your radio that you are most llikely to use. Anyone with a mobile should be able to do anything they need on the trail just by accessing their mic.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am going to put a couple links here to Rugged radios YouTube - they are informative.

Basically the same model as TYT TH-8600
just does not have intercom set up

Antennas and installation

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am going to put a couple links here to Rugged radios YouTube - they are informative.

Basically the same model as TYT TH-8600
just does not have intercom set up

Antennas and installation

I bet their user manual is easier to read and go through than the one that comes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So what antenna did you get @nbomar ? I am going to join the TYT TH-8600 club and buy my radio right now so its the same as the rest of you fart smellers.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

BTechs are up to 4

The TYT-8600 is only 2

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

O gosh, I am more than willing to help. I remember something like this got started of last years take over and I seem to remember they ended up deciding on 1 or 2 freq/channels to be main channels and then allowed the groups going out to chose their own (as long as they were not the main channels) Will need to go back and find that posting. I am not sure how it all ended up working out last year.
Last year we couldn’t hear one group to the other.. it seems that the range of our handhelds were limited to one side of a mountain.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last year we couldn’t hear one group to the other.. it seems that the range of our handhelds were limited to one side of a mountain.

Mountain is gonna stop it. Too bad we can’t setup a couple of dedicated repeaters but that’d be a lot of effort (and equipment to leave setting somewhere on top of a hill.)

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Got my radio today. Just waiting on the coax, mounting bracket, and a few other things to get it hooked up. Should be good to go with no programming needed from what I’m told
94DA0E4B F41F 4A3F A6C9 CC4A1D8B63AC

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!