Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just made a mount for my antenna today. I can't have anything rigidly mounted sticking up higher than the roof (low hanging trees have been know to slide over my roof) and I had an extra mag mount antenna kicking around. I tried it after the install and got good reports from the boys on a repeater that is 14 miles from my house. I'm just using a Baofeng bf-f9 hand held. This set up seems to as good as the same radio in my truck with a mag mount antenna on it.
View attachment 61112 View attachment 61114 View attachment 61115
Iike that mount you made - also any big hits will just knock the antenna over.

ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since this was last year's thread, I wanted to know how it worked out?
I was looking at the BaoFeng BF-F8HP for Takeover 2018.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i have a similar radio my antenna is just mounted to the front brush guard behind the bar. also if you need a good mount for the hand helds this works great.

Handheld Radio Mount- PCI Baofeng UV-5R – Axia Alloys

Using that mount as well. Never once thought about the front of the vehicle for the antenna.... duh! Mines holding up ok on the rear cage right now. Might move it at some point though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Iike that mount you made - also any big hits will just knock the antenna over.
yup that was part of my reasoning. Generally I'm reminded to take the antenna down shortly after it's to late and I've already knocked it down.
We got a foot of snow yesterday, while out plowing with the pioneer the antenna got whacked a few times by snow covered low hanging trees. After the second time getting out to put it back on the mount , I finally figured out I could just stick it upside down on the mount, didn't have the radio in there at that time so I did't get a chance to see how well it gets out there upside down but I will to today when I go out and clean up.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yup that was part of my reasoning. Generally I'm reminded to take the antenna down shortly after it's to late and I've already knocked it down.
We got a foot of snow yesterday, while out plowing with the pioneer the antenna got whacked a few times by snow covered low hanging trees. After the second time getting out to put it back on the mount , I finally figured out I could just stick it upside down on the mount, didn't have the radio in there at that time so I did't get a chance to see how well it gets out there upside down but I will to today when I go out and clean up.
I forgot about the upside down option - that is how I used to run my mag mount when i was in college - hanging upside down from the dorm room suspended celling tracks. - Gives Idea for current office too.

Did you make the Mount or buy it somewhere?

jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
what is a good unit to mount in dash i quess you call it a mobile unit not a handheld

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rugged radios has water resistant radios but they are relatively expensive.

BTech has UV-25x2 or x4 for about $80 if you can find a amazon warehouse deal.

I have the X2 and I have it mounted to the roof so it stays dry.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and sharp
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Rugged radios has water resistant radios but they are relatively expensive.

BTech has UV-25x2 or x4 for about $80 if you can find a amazon warehouse deal.

I have the X2 and I have it mounted to the roof so it stays dry.

mounted mine similar to ohana think mine is uv-50

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I forgot about the upside down option - that is how I used to run my mag mount when i was in college - hanging upside down from the dorm room suspended celling tracks. - Gives Idea for current office too.

Did you make the Mount or buy it somewhere?
@Ragnar406 , Made it, I'm too cheap to buy, @ohanacreek I'm getting sick of moving hand held around from house, truck and sxs, and have considering the x2, how well do you like it?

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Ragnar406 , Made it, I'm too cheap to buy, @ohanacreek I'm getting sick of moving hand held around from house, truck and sxs, and have considering the x2, how well do you like it?

Louder and clearer than a handheld over the engine.

Better range Tx/Rx than the UV-5R I was using with the same antenna.

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have one of the hand held battery powered CB radios. Do you guys use any of the standard CB channels? I thought standard walkie talkie channels and CB's were the same. Hoping so anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dp5hunter and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have one of the hand held battery powered CB radios. Do you guys use any of the standard CB channels. I thought standard walkie talkie channels and CB's were the same. Hoping so anyway.

CB is different freq range than HAM

Reactions: sharp and ZeroG
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have one of the hand held battery powered CB radios. Do you guys use any of the standard CB channels? I thought standard walkie talkie channels and CB's were the same. Hoping so anyway.
Cb operates at the bottom ( or top) of what is considered HF frequencies - depending on weather, time of day etc you can get a skip that will allow you to talk miles across the country but not to the person next to you.

The radios every one keeps referring to as “ham” are actually UHF, VHF or both and will cover a range of frequency’s - commonly used for Business, GMRS, FMRS, Marine, MURS and allotted Amature Radio bands. Most people are using these radios on the FRS or GMRS frequencies which provides a more consistent direct line of sight transmission. Basically as long as you could see some one you should be able to stay in constant contact and not have to worry about skip ( although skip at these freq can happen).

On FMRS - the channels are actually pre programmed to specific frequencies but those radios only put out 1/2 watt I think when the Ones mentioned above are capable of height wattage ( just know the rules for the band you are on and make a decision you are comfortable with as some freq have wattage restrictions)

Know that in radios you get what you pay for. That said I use a boefang on the trail and it works fine but the audio, receiving and transmitting is no where as clear as my more expensive Yeasu handytalkie - even at same wattage.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!