Multi Lets talk Sway bars

C

Chooglin

It seems that this subject comes up pretty frequent (remove or not to remove).I did a little research on the history of the Yamaha Rhino lawsuit back in the day.I found this article and also talked to my brother about this (he owned a Rhino). I found it a bit odd, that part of Yamaha's remedy to cure the problem with the roll overs, was to remove the sway bar and add spacers.I dont know about you guys, but wouldn't this "destabilize" a vehicle if you remove the stablizer bar ?

I removed mine and I like the ride much better.I feel completely safe without it , no issues at all for me !!!

This is the article I found. Paragraph number 7 is where they explain the remedy for rollover problem !!!
Yamaha's Rhino: For Some A Deadly Ride

Any thought on this ?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I removed mine and I like the ride much better.I feel completely safe without it , no issues at all for me !!!
Completely agree. Sometimes I think I feel safer without it because all my tires stay on the ground and I'm not teeter tottering all over

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
It seems that this subject comes up pretty frequent (remove or not to remove).I did a little research on the history of the Yamaha Rhino lawsuit back in the day.I found this article and also talked to my brother about this (he owned a Rhino). I found it a bit odd, that part of Yamaha's remedy to cure the problem with the roll overs, was to remove the sway bar and add spacers.I dont know about you guys, but wouldn't this "destabilize" a vehicle if you remove the stablizer bar ?

This is the article I found. Paragraph number 7 is where they explain the remedy for rollover problem !!!

Any thought on this ?
I read that whole article. Very interesting. I had my 2007 Rhino when they " recalled " it. I had to take it in to get the doors installed. I had already removed the sway bar, and had replaced the rims and tires with a wider offset, so I did not get the wheel spacers.
My feeling about the sway bar is that it made the suspension less twitchy, and absorbed more energy instead of bouncing. The rear suspension was just to stiff.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did the same, the Anti-sway bar off, wider offset, now P500 is 53" and may add 1" spacers if I find decent lift kit.

All these multi lawsuits are nonsense , people don't know how to use turn lights, but sue everybody , even burning a dog in the microwave that did not have warning message.

There is no limit for perfection, same applies for stupidity and ignorance.

Innovations are so late to arrive to USA, and first being tested in Europe and later 5-10 years they ,might come to here, because of lawsuits. This is very true in pharmaceutical industry.

Just practice and know your machine and most of all your skills limitations , and final word , wear protective gear, including helmet when speeding.

Last edited:
Reactions: swsebek
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
In response to the article, to me it's nothing more than lawyers that smelled blood in the water. It was an opportunity to make a lot of money and they took it, with little consideration to what the aftermath might be. It's a truly sad indication of what our society is becoming. 150,000 Rhinos sold and 59 deaths? So if I'm doing the math right you have a .04% chance of dying, which actually is a high estimate because I didn't account for multiple passengers. And someone seriously wants to ban SXS's based on these numbers??? Using that logic we MUST ban cars, mowing your lawn, getting the flu, swimming, etc. etc.

What has happened to personal responsibility?

D

Deleted member 3748

In response to the article, to me it's nothing more than lawyers that smelled blood in the water. It was an opportunity to make a lot of money and they took it, with little consideration to what the aftermath might be. It's a truly sad indication of what our society is becoming. 150,000 Rhinos sold and 59 deaths? So if I'm doing the math right you have a .04% chance of dying, which actually is a high estimate because I didn't account for multiple passengers. And someone seriously wants to ban SXS's based on these numbers??? Using that logic we MUST ban cars, mowing your lawn, getting the flu, swimming, etc. etc.

What has happened to personal responsibility?

I'm in favor of banning the flu.

C

Chooglin

What has happened to personal responsibility?[/QUOTE said:
There is none these days , everybody wants to point the finger at someone else for there own stupidity!

Reactions: swsebek
tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015

Any thought on this ?
The reason I heard for taking away the sway bar was to take away the false sense on security it gave. Without it the machine actually rolls a little side to side to give you warning before it tips over. Before you kinda didn't get much warning before it went. I only rode one once and within 5 miles had it at a ~40 degree angle. Luckily I was able to steer out of it but I didn't get much warning before it came up.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Seriously ppl rolled rhinos because the were the first popular utv and ppl thought they could hammer them without knowing how to ride pretty boy "jeepers" who thought they were off roaders rolling something that was never ment to do what they did it drives me crazy just like some one getting a speeding ticket in a damn mustage because they watch fast and furious and can all of a sudden race BLOWS MY F@CKING MIND!!!!!!

Reactions: swsebek and Tflynn
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
The rhino 700 maybe still the best bomb proof tanks you can get you cant kill it and you cant stop it as long as you have a freaking clue how to ride on the dirt

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I leave mine on only because i'm hauling stuff or pulling a loaded trailer 85% of the time.
Even in those scenarios I'm not sure it's doing you any good. Seems maybe you'd benefit from removing it more than most.

Reactions: wildbill
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
So, has anyone considered removing the sway bar from their 1000 ?
I don't have enough seat time on mine yet. Maybe @Hondasxs and @JACKAL will have some thoughts about it after their ride this weekend.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So, has anyone considered removing the sway bar from their 1000 ?
I don't have enough seat time on mine yet. Maybe @Hondasxs and @JACKAL will have some thoughts about it after their ride this weekend.

Now that I've put close to two hundred miles on mine, it will stay on and connected. This vehicle seems too top-heavy to remove the swaybar, or maybe the suspension is much softer than the 700. It could also be the four ply bighorn OEM tires. I have these tires aired up to 14 PS, my old Blackwater tires on the 700 could inflate to four or five psi and ride anywhere I wanted to go.

Reactions: rocmar
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
The reason I heard for taking away the sway bar was to take away the false sense on security it gave. Without it the machine actually rolls a little side to side to give you warning before it tips over.
I agree 100 percent

Reactions: tig
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just got back from an awesome ride, still processing video clips and going through posts from the last three days.

Regarding the swaybar, mine is staying on.

Reactions: rocmar and joeymt33
Tmiller

Tmiller

Apr 5, 2016
New york
I'm running 28-9 all around wheels are under fenders no swaybar or lift and I love it I'm gonna take the bar right out this week I don't see me ever hooking it back up

Reactions: Tflynn

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!