ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Now I have to decide, Maxxis Buckshot II or Federal Couragia.... The Federals look to me like they have a more open, aggressive tread that would be better in the mud and would clean out better. I have talked to a couple people that have them on trucks and they seem to like them. But that's a much different application.

Reactions: BWAF
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Now I have to decide, Maxxis Buckshot II or Federal Couragia.... The Federals look to me like they have a more open, aggressive tread that would be better in the mud and would clean out better. I have talked to a couple people that have them on trucks and they seem to like them. But that's a much different application.
The Federals look like they would be fine. I’ve really been happy with my Achilles Desert Hawk MT’s

Reactions: BWAF and ehart814
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Federals look like they would be fine. I’ve really been happy with my Achilles Desert Hawk MT’s

I think any of them will get you where you want to go.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I think any of them will get you where you want to go.
No way! It's never that simple!!! There can be only one correct answer!!! I'm going to obsess over this decision and there's nothing you can do about it!!

LOL

I know i know.... For some reason I tend to overthink silly things like this at times... I may be ordering the Federals next week. My supplier currently has only 1 of the Maxxis tires in stock at the moment. And the federals are like $15 a piece cheaper

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No way! It's never that simple!!! There can be only one correct answer!!! I'm going to obsess over this decision and there's nothing you can do about it!!

LOL

I know i know.... For some reason I tend to overthink silly things like this at times... I may be ordering the Federals next week. My supplier currently has only 1 of the Maxxis tires in stock at the moment. And the federals are like $15 a piece cheaper

Lol I hear ya. You could test run all 3 down the same trail and probably not notice much difference. If you had to pick one superior to the other 2 its definitely the maxxis, why...., because that's what I have :)

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Got my new tires this morning. They look beefy! Heavy for sure, and very stiff. So I'm expecting a rougher ride for sure. But the thickness of the sidewall is much better than the utv tires I've seen. I think the toughness is going to be much better. Excited to bolt them up tonight. Might even take a pic

Reactions: BWAF and Mudwing
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Be0940b9d77af656b52f70d6401c5356
8e1451afbde3df4de554002a472f8e35
8e12414c406481ad5016b8aa857e020b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Reactions: BWAF and ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Nice tires! Now get the SATV A-arms so you can properly adjust both the camber and toe in. I had mine machine aligned and the tires balanced. They are wearing perfectly and don't shake at all at any speed.

I really don't want to mess with the suspension. I will keep it stock, and reliable. The only thing i'd consider is a set of new shocks, but I can't afford those. My toe in is still perfect at this point. about 1100 miles, mostly road, and the front tires show just a tiny bit of wear. I was going to put spacers on the rear, but I like how the tires are flush with the side of the machine, front and rear. I hate flying mud (mudbusters are in the mail)

Reactions: BWAF and TripleB
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really don't want to mess with the suspension. I will keep it stock, and reliable. The only thing i'd consider is a set of new shocks, but I can't afford those. My toe in is still perfect at this point. about 1100 miles, mostly road, and the front tires show just a tiny bit of wear. I was going to put spacers on the rear, but I like how the tires are flush with the side of the machine, front and rear. I hate flying mud (mudbusters are in the mail)
Over 4000 on mine and did more grooving helped ride and traction

20200105 160649

advertisement
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3

SATV arms are beefier than stock. My stock alignment was so bad, you could smell rubber burning when you rode on pavement!

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks good I run 9 in the front and 11 in the rear

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
SATV arms are beefier than stock. My stock alignment was so bad, you could smell rubber burning when you rode on pavement!
I was going to stick with stock arms but bent one that also had 1/8 still a arm skid plate so satv on the way

Reactions: russknight
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

I have heard of that happening. I was really concerned when I got mine because the steering wheel was off about 30 degrees from center. Fortunately, my alignment was spot on from the factory though. I'll worry about the arms if I ever screw one up. I baby my machine for the most part because I can't afford to fix stuff like bent arms very often!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
As previously stated, the truck tires definitely ride rough. I had them at 20, then put them down to about 14 but they still need to be lower. What is the lowest pressure we can run without worrying about the bead popping off? I will probably run them as low as possible but I don't have beadlocks. I think @BWAF said he runs 9 and 11 psi. Any issues at those pressures?

Also, the more I ride in the woods the more I have realized how much traction I lost compared to the factory bighorns. I have to use 4wd a lot more. Even on dry ground. I cut a couple new trails and they are uphill. In 2wd I kept spinning out in the leaves. And I had to drive over a couple rotted logs and It wouldn't go over them in 2wd. My yard is on a pretty steep hill and the other day I was hauling some junk down to the bottom of the hill. It had rained hard that day and I could not climb back up the hill on the soggy turf. I'm hoping if I can get the pressure down it will help some. It's pretty easy to kick the rear end around using the throttle in low range. It's fun.

I expected some compromise, and I'm still really happy with the tires.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
As previously stated, the truck tires definitely ride rough. I had them at 20, then put them down to about 14 but they still need to be lower. What is the lowest pressure we can run without worrying about the bead popping off? I will probably run them as low as possible but I don't have beadlocks. I think @BWAF said he runs 9 and 11 psi. Any issues at those pressures?

Also, the more I ride in the woods the more I have realized how much traction I lost compared to the factory bighorns. I have to use 4wd a lot more. Even on dry ground. I cut a couple new trails and they are uphill. In 2wd I kept spinning out in the leaves. And I had to drive over a couple rotted logs and It wouldn't go over them in 2wd. My yard is on a pretty steep hill and the other day I was hauling some junk down to the bottom of the hill. It had rained hard that day and I could not climb back up the hill on the soggy turf. I'm hoping if I can get the pressure down it will help some. It's pretty easy to kick the rear end around using the throttle in low range. It's fun.

Your the first I’ve heard that hasn’t been happy with the LT tires. Witch ones do you have and do u have a close pic of the tire so we can see your tread? What kind of wheel do u have, are they headlocks or no? Also, 20 psi is way too much air! If your driving in downtown of your towns paved road ok! But not in the woods or trail! As Alice Cooper says You'll be “spinning your wheels” lol . I run mine at 10-12 psi most of the time. If it’s soft terrain like sand I’m doing 8psi at the most. I also have headlocks witch I think are essential with LT tires or with such low psi they will pop off the bead. Bottom line, I run there psi like I did my motoclaws and any other UTV tire and I can go anywhere, any muck, mud or sand without any problems. ;)

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Your the first I’ve heard that hasn’t been happy with the LT tires. Witch ones do you have and do u have a close pic of the tire so we can see your tread? What kind of wheel do u have, are they headlocks or no? Also, 20 psi is way too much air! If your driving in downtown of your towns paved road ok! But not in the woods or trail! As Alice Cooper says You'll be “spinning your wheels” lol . I run mine at 10-12 psi most of the time. If it’s soft terrain like sand I’m doing 8psi at the most. I also have headlocks witch I think are essential with LT tires or with such low psi they will pop off the bead. Bottom line, I run there psi like I did my motoclaws and any other UTV tire and I can go anywhere, any muck, mud or sand without any problems. ;)

Oh I'm not unhappy with them! They are pretty much just as I expected, I just want to run the pressure as low as I can get away with without beadlocks to have a softer ride and more traction. There is definitely a compromise when it comes to off road traction though. They simply do not hook up as well in the woods as the bighorns did. There is a little hill climb in my woods that I could climb with my 500 in 2 wheel drive most of the time. The 1000 wouldn't do it in 2wd yesterday. I'm sure it would have climbed it with the factory tires.

I bought Federal Couragia 235/75/15. They are a very aggressive tread. I don't have beadlocks, and I don't want them. Has anyone had truck tires pop off the bead?

Again, I'm not unhappy with these tires. I expected to lose some off road capability. Puncture resistance and durability were the two factors that I really cared about when I decided to buy the truck tires. I guess I'd rather get stuck and have to winch out than puncture a sidewall!

Reactions: BWAF and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oh I'm not unhappy with them! They are pretty much just as I expected, I just want to run the pressure as low as I can get away with without beadlocks to have a softer ride and more traction. There is definitely a compromise when it comes to off road traction though. They simply do not hook up as well in the woods as the bighorns did. There is a little hill climb in my woods that I could climb with my 500 in 2 wheel drive most of the time. The 1000 wouldn't do it in 2wd yesterday. I'm sure it would have climbed it with the factory tires.

I bought Federal Couragia 235/75/15. They are a very aggressive tread. I don't have beadlocks, and I don't want them. Has anyone had truck tires pop off the bead?

Again, I'm not unhappy with these tires. I expected to lose some off road capability. Puncture resistance and durability were the two factors that I really cared about when I decided to buy the truck tires. I guess I'd rather get stuck and have to winch out than puncture a sidewall!
I haven’t heard of anyone not running beadlocks with LT tires. If u run low psi like a UTV tire like I do, you most likely will pop a bead but u can try it. An LT tires bead isn’t really designed to run that low as they are for the road and some light off rod use. They also can obviously be used for our application as u can see but not with quite the psi your running. As for the P1 vrs the P5 and a hill your trying to go up in 2wd. There 2 completely different beast and weight. I’ve owned both at the same time and I can tell you there are places and hills one can go easier that the other one can’t so you don’t want to Compare there 2 in that situation or you’ll just get pissed off! Lol.
is there a reason you don’t want bead locks? I once read too much bad things of them leaking then I just did it, and took my time installing them and have never had an issue.
6D2D460B 1DC1 4F5E BD99 5183C3DEEA13

Last edited:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I haven’t heard of anyone not running beadlocks with LT tires. If u run low psi like a UTV tire like I do, you most likely will pop a bead but u can try it. An LT tires bead isn’t really designed to run that low as they are for the road and some light off rod use. They also can obviously be used for our application as u can see but not with quite the psi your running. As for the P1 vrs the P5 and a hill your trying to go up in 2wd. There 2 completely different beast and weight. I’ve owned both at the same time and I can tell you there are places and hills one can go easier that the other one can’t so you don’t want to Compare there 2 in that situation or you’ll just get pissed off! Lol.
is there a reason you don’t want bead locks? I once read too much bad things of them leaking then I just did it, and took my time installing them and have never had an issue.
View attachment 191737 View attachment 191738
I guess what I should have said is that I know I could have climbed that hill with the factory tires...

I got the Fuel Anza wheels, non beadlock. I didn't want beadlocks because of the leaking issue, and having to deal with the bolts. Just another maintenance thing that I don't want to deal with. Making sure they are torqued, keeping the air pressure maintained etc. And of course, the price.

If i hadn't found the set of Fuel wheels locally for a good deal, I wouldn't have made the switch to the truck tires. I intended to down the road, but finding this set used was enough motivation to upgrade sooner.

I had not heard that beadlocks were a necessity with these tires. As stiff and thick as the sidewall and bead are, I figured they would be even harder to pop off the rim than UTV tires. They guy I had mount them said he had to put almost 90 psi in one of the tires to get it to pop out on the bead! He said they were all very hard like that.

I ride trails quite a bit, but I avoid any extreme situations or really challenging trails. I guess I'm not really the thrillseeker I used to be and I hate abusing my machines.

Reactions: BWAF and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I guess what I should have said is that I know I could have climbed that hill with the factory tires...

I got the Fuel Anza wheels, non beadlock. I didn't want beadlocks because of the leaking issue, and having to deal with the bolts. Just another maintenance thing that I don't want to deal with. Making sure they are torqued, keeping the air pressure maintained etc. And of course, the price.

If i hadn't found the set of Fuel wheels locally for a good deal, I wouldn't have made the switch to the truck tires. I intended to down the road, but finding this set used was enough motivation to upgrade sooner.

I had not heard that beadlocks were a necessity with these tires. As stiff and thick as the sidewall and bead are, I figured they would be even harder to pop off the rim than UTV tires. They guy I had mount them said he had to put almost 90 psi in one of the tires to get it to pop out on the bead! He said they were all very hard like that.

I ride trails quite a bit, but I avoid any extreme situations or really challenging trails. I guess I'm not really the thrillseeker I used to be and I hate abusing my machines.
Not be a Debbie downer here, but it sounds like you had someone put your tires on for you so the installing the beadlocks shouldn’t have been an issue. The leaking IMO is just people not taking there time installing them and not putting some thread lock on the bolts. If your not doing the above, your doing just what u said making sure u have the proper air in them and more maint. I do not have this issue with mine. Yes there a bit more in cost but with the cost of the LT tires and beadlocks I was still cheaper than regular wheels and UTV tires but close. Not busting your balls here, just sounded like u may have not understood the differences?

As for needing 90psi to set the bead. Hell yes you need that for most if not any LT tires for the reasons he told you. I’ve mounted many and even race tires need at least that. That said it doesn't necessarily mean that the bead will stay on better. It’s just the design of the tire to get the bead over the interior of the rim to seat the bead.When u ride, your worried about the cushion of the tire flattening the bead (from round to flat) to either pop it or leak air hence the reason why beadlocks keep you bead firmly on the wheel. You don’t have this bad with a good UTV tire cuz of the design but I’ve had them pop off without beadlocks.The outside of the wheel is more important than the inside in most Cases.

again, this is not a beadlocks is better than standard debate just showing u the difference.;)

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

My rims are single bead lock and I've had no trouble running the fronts at 8 or 9 and the back at 10 to 12 this will help your traction I posted up a picture of the grooving I did and that also helped a lot

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!