ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Not be a Debbie downer here, but it sounds like you had someone put your tires on for you so the installing the beadlocks shouldn’t have been an issue. The leaking IMO is just people not taking there time installing them and not putting some thread lock on the bolts. If your not doing the above, your doing just what u said making sure u have the proper air in them and more maint. I do not have this issue with mine. Yes there a bit more in cost but with the cost of the LT tires and beadlocks I was still cheaper than regular wheels and UTV tires but close. Not busting your balls here, just sounded like u may have not understood the differences?

As for needing 90psi to set the bead. Hell yes you need that for most if not any LT tires for the reasons he told you. I’ve mounted many and even race tires need at least that. That said it doesn't necessarily mean that the bead will stay on better. It’s just the design of the tire to get the bead over the interior of the rim to seat the bead.When u ride, your worried about the cushion of the tire flattening the bead (from round to flat) to either pop it or leak air hence the reason why beadlocks keep you bead firmly on the wheel. You don’t have this bad with a good UTV tire cuz of the design but I’ve had them pop off without beadlocks.The outside of the wheel is more important than the inside in most Cases.

again, this is not a beadlocks is better than standard debate just showing u the difference.;)

1. I don't want beadlocks, never felt the need. I don't rock crawl and run my tires with 2 psi. Also, looking back through this thread there are several people not running beadlocks. If I don't want/need them, I'm not willing to pay more for them. I paid 350 for my wheels (minus whatever I can get out of the worn BFG's that came on them) It would be at least $500 for a set of beadlocks. Yes, I understand the difference between beadlocks and regular wheels. I was trying to find out how low of a psi the other folks are running while NOT using beadlocks and if anyone had issues with the beads coming off (haven't heard of any yet).

2. I've mounted many sets of tires myself. Sometimes because it was my job, sometimes for myself. I've used tire machines, and hammers and spoons. This is the reason I had someone else do it - I don't like to. It was worth $50 to have someone else do it, and they included the balance beads for that money.

For those here that are NOT running beadlocks, have you ever knocked off a bead?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
1. I don't want beadlocks, never felt the need. I don't rock crawl and run my tires with 2 psi. Also, looking back through this thread there are several people not running beadlocks. If I don't want/need them, I'm not willing to pay more for them. I paid 350 for my wheels (minus whatever I can get out of the worn BFG's that came on them) It would be at least $500 for a set of beadlocks. Yes, I understand the difference between beadlocks and regular wheels. I was trying to find out how low of a psi the other folks are running while NOT using beadlocks and if anyone had issues with the beads coming off (haven't heard of any yet).

2. I've mounted many sets of tires myself. Sometimes because it was my job, sometimes for myself. I've used tire machines, and hammers and spoons. This is the reason I had someone else do it - I don't like to. It was worth $50 to have someone else do it, and they included the balance beads for that money.

For those here that are NOT running beadlocks, have you ever knocked off a bead?
Ok ok .geeze sorry 😘

Reactions: BWAF
Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I would like to hear about this as well. I had planned to go with beadlocks but I am curious if anyone has run lower pressure without beadlocks without an issue. I don’t do any “rock crawling” though I do live in an area with a lot of granite. Just curious about what it would take to pop one of these tires off the bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would like to hear about this as well. I had planned to go with beadlocks but I am curious if anyone has run lower pressure without beadlocks without an issue. I don’t do any “rock crawling” though I do live in an area with a lot of granite. Just curious about what it would take to pop one of these tires off the bead.

I didn’t have beadlocks to start with my LT’s. Don’t rock crawl but have a time or 2, trail ride in a lot of Mud , sand and rock. I lost air a lot when at the lower tire pressure hence The reason I went for the beadlocks and haven’t lost much of any air now. The lower tire pressure makes a big difference in traction with LT tires. I didn’t have them on the standard wheel long enough to blow them off the bead but I’m sure it wouldn’t have been long at the lower psi. BTW I was bet 8-12 psi . Bottom line is the construction of the sidewall and bead of the LT tire is lighter than a UTV tire and makes the warning light go from green to yellow and stay there with the lower tire pressures. Not right or wrong for what you want to run , just a perspective. :)

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I didn’t have beadlocks to start with my LT’s. Don’t rock crawl but have a time or 2, trail ride in a lot of Mud , sand and rock. I lost air a lot when at the lower tire pressure hence The reason I went for the beadlocks and haven’t lost much of any air now. The lower tire pressure makes a big difference in traction with LT tires. I didn’t have them on the standard wheel long enough to blow them off the bead but I’m sure it wouldn’t have been long at the lower psi. BTW I was bet 8-12 psi . Bottom line is the construction of the sidewall and bead of the LT tire is lighter than a UTV tire and makes the warning light go from green to yellow and stay there with the lower tire pressures. Not right or wrong for what you want to run , just a perspective. :)

Load capacity of the Federal Couragia M/T in 235x75x15 is 1985 pounds per tire

compared to the Braven Berserkers which have a reputation of being one of the tougher UTV tires 28x10x15 - Load capacity - 937 pounds per tire

I really can't imagine the truck tires having a lighter bead and sidewall than a UTV tire given the drastic difference in load capacity. I absolutely could be wrong, but from what I have observed just feeling the sidewall and bead of these tires it sure seems like they are much stronger. I want to find some concrete data to confirm this, but I can't find anything. Probably have to find a tire expert to confirm.

I did find quite a few people on razor forums have been using truck tires like this and they seem to have been doing it for quite a while. Some of them are running extremely low pressures, with and without beadlocks.

I still have yet to find anyone having a problem with the bead coming off, but i'm still looking

Reactions: Napaul
Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5

compared to the Braven Berserkers which have a reputation of being one of the tougher UTV tires 28x10x15 - Load capacity - 937 pounds per tire

I really can't imagine the truck tires having a lighter bead and sidewall than a UTV tire given the drastic difference in load capacity. I absolutely could be wrong, but from what I have observed just feeling the sidewall and bead of these tires it sure seems like they are much stronger. I want to find some concrete data to confirm this, but I can't find anything. Probably have to find a tire expert to confirm.

I did find quite a few people on razor forums have been using truck tires like this and they seem to have been doing it for quite a while. Some of them are running extremely low pressures, with and without beadlocks.

I still have yet to find anyone having a problem with the bead coming off, but i'm still looking

I know your frustration. I’ve scoured the internet for a hard number - like “the tire will pop off the bead at X PSI” but it just can’t be found. As for the sidewall, it could be reasoned that BECAUSE the LT sidewall is so stiff is why it would be more prone to popping off the bead. With a UTV tire, the sidewall could flex more without the bead flexing with it, but with the stiffer LT sidewall, the stiffness doesn’t allow the bead to remain seated and forces it sideways as well. It’s just a thought. I may be totally off though.

I’ve seen in one of these thousands of threads where someone ordered STI beadlocks and needed longer bolts to properly secure the ring. Apparently STI supplies 4 longer bolts to get the ring started, and they just swapped the other shorter bolts for all longer ones to match the 4 long bolts. Anybody recall who that was? And did they just order the longer bolts from STI or did they source them elsewhere? Is there another brand that this isn’t necessary? If I do end up ordering beadlocks I want to go ahead and source all the parts I need.

Reactions: BWAF and ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I know your frustration. I’ve scoured the internet for a hard number - like “the tire will pop off the bead at X PSI” but it just can’t be found. As for the sidewall, it could be reasoned that BECAUSE the LT sidewall is so stiff is why it would be more prone to popping off the bead. With a UTV tire, the sidewall could flex more without the bead flexing with it, but with the stiffer LT sidewall, the stiffness doesn’t allow the bead to remain seated and forces it sideways as well. It’s just a thought. I may be totally off though.

I’ve seen in one of these thousands of threads where someone ordered STI beadlocks and needed longer bolts to properly secure the ring. Apparently STI supplies 4 longer bolts to get the ring started, and they just swapped the other shorter bolts for all longer ones to match the 4 long bolts. Anybody recall who that was? And did they just order the longer bolts from STI or did they source them elsewhere? Is there another brand that this isn’t necessary? If I do end up ordering beadlocks I want to go ahead and source all the parts I need.

You make a good point about the stiff sidewall. I hadn't thought about it that way. It's too bad there isn't a definitive answer. But, based on the anecdotal evidence from reading all the other threads, it seems that these tires do hang on the bead pretty well. On that razor forum I was reading, one guy was running like 4 psi without beadlocks and didn't report problems. Who knows.... I wouldn't feel safe running that low but I might try like 8 psi. If I ever have an issue, I'll report back.

Reactions: BWAF and Napaul
FOOTS

FOOTS

Jan 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon X4

The load rating changes with tire pressure. The federal you mentioned has a load rating of 1985 lbs. and that load rating is at 50 psi. The lower psi the lower the load rating. The braven berserker at 937 lbs is at 18 psi. The federal is down to 1525 lbs at 35 psi so it’s probably comparable at 18 psi to the Braven. The LT tires are definitely thicker though so that still may effect the ride.

I can’t decide if I want to go with a LT or UTV specific either. I’ve worried about the beads as well on nonbeadlocks.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The load rating changes with tire pressure. The federal you mentioned has a load rating of 1985 lbs. and that load rating is at 50 psi. The lower psi the lower the load rating. The braven berserker at 937 lbs is at 18 psi. The federal is down to 1525 lbs at 35 psi so it’s probably comparable at 18 psi to the Braven. The LT tires are definitely thicker though so that still may effect the ride.

I can’t decide if I want to go with a LT or UTV specific either. I’ve worried about the beads as well on nonbeadlocks.

Interesting. This is all good info to help make a decision. Maybe the truck tires have more in common with the utv tires than we thought

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone have any input on beadlock wheels for the LT tires? I know some have had issues with the bolts not being quite long enough for the thicker bead on some wheels, especially the STI wheels which were the ones I was looking at. Are there certain brands without this problem?

C

coachlefty

Mar 24, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for this thread. Got my new wheels and tires installed today and the look and ride great. Went with accelera mt-01 235 75 15r tires and they don't rub on my stock set up.

20200415 113106

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Me

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone have any input on beadlock wheels for the LT tires? I know some have had issues with the bolts not being quite long enough for the thicker bead on some wheels, especially the STI wheels which were the ones I was looking at. Are there certain brands without this problem?
You'll need longer bolts and 3/8 nuts to put in between bead lock and rim too thick to pull all the way down at least I did on federals pics with and with out

20180430 194055 20180430 181703

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You'll need longer bolts and 3/8 nuts to put in between bead lock and rim too thick to pull all the way down at least I did on federals pics with and with out

View attachment 197568 View attachment 197569

Thanks so much man! I was looking all over today to find some info about this and in the end all I had to do was hop on the forum. I did see where some companies sell “universal fit” spacers for beadlocks. How has the nuts setup held up for you? Would it be worth it for a $15 per wheel spacer? And did you get the bolts directly from STI or did you hit the hardware store?

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks so much man! I was looking all over today to find some info about this and in the end all I had to do was hop on the forum. I did see where some companies sell “universal fit” spacers for beadlocks. How has the nuts setup held up for you? Would it be worth it for a $15 per wheel spacer? And did you get the bolts directly from STI or did you hit the hardware store?

15$per wheel would be it would look better and probably wouldn't hold mud like mine! nuts have been fine 2 years never had anything loosen up ,tire lose air or a flat . If If remember right a 3/8 nut is .3125 thick guess will depend on your bead thickness

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Oh and bolts are just from farm store

Z

zandroid

Jan 12, 2019
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
SOLD OUT

Walmart has the Federal Couragia M/T 235/75R15 on sale for $74.84 each. Looks like a good deal on those tires if you are thinking of making the jump to light truck tires. @BWAF runs those if you want to see what the tires look like on a P1K.

Looks like you can have those shipped or pick up in store/hold for mounting in store.

I will also post a new thread in this Wheel and Tire forum for more visibility. I know there were quite a few still watching this thread.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!