P500 Lightbar mount question

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I sure missed them... I made a template out of cardboard and used it to mark the dash prior to drilling and cutting out mine...
At least you took the time to make a template so it worked how you wanted, even if it was more work right? I just helped a buddy with his ranger and he didn't even care if the switch was straight let alone cosmetically appealing. Smh on that one..

Reactions: Jshell3
Longbrake500

Longbrake500

Aug 13, 2016
Anna Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
At least you took the time to make a template so it worked how you wanted, even if it was more work right? I just helped a buddy with his ranger and he didn't even care if the switch was straight let alone cosmetically appealing. Smh on that one..

Yeah I am way to OCD to not have them straight....

Reactions: Shadesmn
J

Jshell3

I never spotted the knockouts. Just drilled holes. Now I feel like a dumbass, thanks J! :)
Well, I tried hard to mount my switches up around the dashboard display... but happened to stumble over the knockout lines by accident.
I sure missed them... I made a template out of cardboard and used it to mark the dash prior to drilling and cutting out mine...
I did the same thing. I made a template by trial and error until the switch fit snug, then preceded to draw it onto the dash... I have the (20 or so) cardboard squares to prove it. I was nervous thinking of how I had "one shot" with the exacto knife... lol

Reactions: Eltobgi and trigger
Longbrake500

Longbrake500

Aug 13, 2016
Anna Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I tried hard to mount my switches up around the dashboard display... but happened to stumble over the knockout lines by accident.

I did the same thing. I made a template by trial and error until the switch fit snug, then preceded to draw it onto the dash... I have the (20 or so) cardboard squares to prove it. I was nervous thinking of how I had "one shot" with the exacto knife... lol

I might have also had a couple templates that didn't make the cut...lol

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I just received a 32" curved LED light bar and looked at installing on the roof above the Honda crossbar...I was thinking of drilling through the crossbar and using a spacer between the Honda roof and the crossbar with the L-brackets (to keep the bolt tight and keep the roof at the original height) I have enough bolts through the roof anyhow so what's another two-lol Anyone else do that? Any concern drilling through the Crossbar?

J

Jshell3

I don't have issues with drilling though a crossbar. The rear lights I mounted, are through the crossbar and are very secure. Do not vibrate at all.

I may move my front lightbar back some, above the crossbar... I was just trying to keep it lower than the rear of the roofline so it wouldn't stick up like a cop car.
Also, my buddy (helping me) said closer to the front to avoid shadows across the hood. He had more experience with lightbars, than myself, so I went with it.

But a crossbar hole isn't any big deal.

Pics, so I can see if I should move mine back a little, please.

D

Deleted member 3748

EMP makes clamps for the P500 1 5/8" bar. I mounted my light bar through my windshield. The only problem is I can't take my windshield off without losing my lights.

IMAG00618

Reactions: Jshell3
Longbrake500

Longbrake500

Aug 13, 2016
Anna Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I just received a 32" curved LED light bar and looked at installing on the roof above the Honda crossbar...I was thinking of drilling through the crossbar and using a spacer between the Honda roof and the crossbar with the L-brackets (to keep the bolt tight and keep the roof at the original height) I have enough bolts through the roof anyhow so what's another two-lol Anyone else do that? Any concern drilling through the Crossbar?

I have a curved 32" I posted how I installed it not sure you saw but I bought some bar clamps that had an L bracket with them for an light bar but once I removed that they fit perfectly under the Honda roof and I just had to drill through the roof and used the bolt that came with the clamp and the brackets that came with the light. It is on there good I beat on the thing through the trails and no issues.

Full
Full

Reactions: Dj2833 and SBuckJ
J

Jshell3

I have a curved 32" I posted how I installed it not sure you saw but I bought some bar clamps that had an L bracket with them for an light bar but once I removed that they fit perfectly under the Honda roof and I just had to drill through the roof and used the bolt that came with the clamp and the brackets that came with the light. It is on there good I beat on the thing through the trails and no issues.

View attachment 23728
View attachment 23729
Do you know which bar clamp you used? I purchased 2 different ones. One too tight, one too loose...
I needed the one that was "just right"...
Didn't find it, but might go back to the bar if I knew what to buy...

J

Jshell3

Well...
The 1.5" was too small diameter.
The 1.75" too big around...

The 1.625 must be = 1 5/8"
Or just right...

IMG 2149

J

Jshell3

1.625 is exactly 1 5/8"
Yeah that one fit perfect.
Yeah. Even with the google conversions and the internet... I couldn't order the right one. Lol

In fairness, the 1.5" description stated it fit "upto 1.75". Which was a lie.

Then the 1.75" had additional strips to use with the clamps in the event you need to fill in the empty spaces... but too spongy to get a good tight hold. Esp for the leverage needed to secure a light bar.

I never saw a 1.625 offered.
Good find!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 3748
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Here ya go Jshell3...I used 3" long bolts with a spacer between the roof and crossbar (about 1'/2") made of hard plastic. Very solid. IMAG1393 IMAG1395 IMAG1396 IMAG1397 IMAG1398

Reactions: Jshell3 and trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
The lightbar is bright. No doubt. Mounted out on the edge causes a slight "shake" at idle, but not at all driving down the road.
The rear lights worked out better than expected. Up high, and not right in your face if you're working off the rear basket.
I figured out that Honda already had outlined knockouts in the dash for the switches... under the hood, look at the backside of the dash. So my new switches in the dash lined up nicely.
That's about it. My lightbar will probably get used more than my headlights, until ppl start complaining that I'm blinding them. Ha!

View attachment 23607

Turned out....TITS......dude

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!