P1000 Lights, switches, electrical

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't mind admitting that I am a bit intimidated with the next phase of my project - electrical!

I know what I want to do and have purchased the Bussmann fuse/relay panel recommended by @JACKAL and it is very nice. I believe I'm going to mount it where the second battery was (moved it under the drivers seat). I also have one of the very nice switch panels provided by @mystic1219.

Not considering anything real sophisticated, thinking about powering and switching the following all separately: winch, 20" light bar on the bumper, two 2" POD's on the front, two 2" POD's on the rear, front interior light, rear interior light, volt meter, USB charge plug.

The panel mystic1219 supplied has cutouts for ten switches, two round holes and a 4 bolt Ram mount. I will be attaching my Garmin Zumo off the Ram mount, but it will be wired to the ignition through a fuse.

I need to select a switch brand and start making those purchases. Looks like good ole Amazon has me covered in that area. Been looking at lights, but have yet to make any purchases. I want to have everything I think I'm going to need on hand before starting.

It's on my mind this morning, because I have mostly installed all of the "stuff" I've purchased for the machine so far!

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Most of my switches are from STV Motorsports off Amazon. Switches them selves have been holding up so far after 9 months and numerous washes. I wasn't too thrilled with their QC. Got the wrong switches 3 times off the same order. Ordered my winch in/out from OTRTTW. They have a better selection and can do custom work.

For light bars, I used OPT7 brand off Amazon. More of a mid priced brand, but I haven't had any problems. I also run their HID kits in my truck and Lightforce conversion.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most of my switches are from STV Motorsports off Amazon. Switches them selves have been holding up so far after 9 months and numerous washes. I wasn't too thrilled with their QC. Got the wrong switches 3 times off the same order. Ordered my winch in/out from OTRTTW. They have a better selection and can do custom work.

For light bars, I used OPT7 brand off Amazon. More of a mid priced brand, but I haven't had any problems. I also run their HID kits in my truck and Lightforce conversion.

I have yet to do anything we switches other than get the panel. I will take a look at OTRTTW and their selection. I'm probably going high-end with a Black Oak for the front light bar and mid-range on everything else, still not 100% of the configuration I want with the lights. It's not a race for me, that's for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
I had just the 32" combo up front and 2 flood pods angled out. I was happy with the visibility in front but needed more light past 45 degrees on each side. I ended up adding 2- 8" combos that are mounted on the angled part of the cage. My lights are mounted up high because we have a lot of brush on some of our trails. This puts the lighting above most of it.

A pod on each side, loosely mounted, so they can be rotated as work lights.

Pair of pods wired to come on with reverse or work off a switch.

Reactions: Manwell
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Just a tip to make wiring a little easier. Buy one of those packs of electrical tape with about 7 different colors. Put a different color on each circuit you run for you lights. When you have all the wires run to your panel, it will be easier to trace which light it goes to.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a tip to make wiring a little easier. Buy one of those packs of electrical tape with about 7 different colors. Put a different color on each circuit you run for you lights. When you have all the wires run to your panel, it will be easier to trace which light it goes to.
Great tip with the tape colors thanks for that! My initial thought is for a 20" curved light bar on the top rail of the front bumper, 2" pods on all four corners of the machine with the rear pods being diffused and probably a 6" light bar in the rear as well, perhaps it will operated independently and off the reverse switch. Still pondering options for sure...

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
It doesn't take much to wire it up so it works with a switch and with reverse. Just wire it to the switch like normal. Then use a polarity reversing relay setup that is trigger by the negative trigger for the back up alarm. Splice the hot output between your switch and the lights.

The pigtail for the back up alarm is just behind the oil filters. Can't remember which wire to tap at the moment.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It doesn't take much to wire it up so it works with a switch and with reverse. Just wire it to the switch like normal. Then use a polarity reversing relay setup that is trigger by the negative trigger for the back up alarm. Splice the hot output between your switch and the lights.

The pigtail for the back up alarm is just behind the oil filters. Can't remember which wire to tap at the moment.
I need to bone up on all of this stuff, I'm decent with the basics but don't claim to an expert by any stretch! For me it's a hobby and I like to tinker around and mess with it. I will spend way more time thinking about it and planning than it will actually take to do the project. That's part of the fun for me...

Reactions: JTW and Eltobgi
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
From what I've seen in your other thread, you'll do fine with the electrical install. You already now the key to succeeding, thinking and planning it out. The rest is easy, nothing you can't figure out with a little research or asking questions. OTRTTW has diagrams for all the switches they sell, think they send them with the switches also. The12volt.com is a good resource for wiring stuff up.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I actually just tackled most of my wiring within the last week or so. I had zero experience going in, except for some stereo wiring back in my younger days. It really wasn't that difficult at all. I planned a lot and read through this forum for help. I used OTRTTW switches with a @mystic1219 switch panel and a blue seas fuse block. I also installed a circuit breaker to kill power to everything. I used marine grade wiring and connectors. Take your time and you'll be just fine! So far I've wired my stereo, 40 inch light bar, and rock lights to my panel. I also plan to include a backup LED sometime soon.

Reactions: JTW and Manwell
advertisement
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From what I've seen in your other thread, you'll do fine with the electrical install. You already now the key to succeeding, thinking and planning it out. The rest is easy, nothing you can't figure out with a little research or asking questions. OTRTTW has diagrams for all the switches they sell, think they send them with the switches also. The12volt.com is a good resource for wiring stuff up.
I appreciate the comment and the resources too!

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually just tackled most of my wiring within the last week or so. I had zero experience going in, except for some stereo wiring back in my younger days. It really wasn't that difficult at all. I planned a lot and read through this forum for help. I used OTRTTW switches with a @mystic1219 switch panel and a blue seas fuse block. I also installed a circuit breaker to kill power to everything. I used marine grade wiring and connectors. Take your time and you'll be just fine! So far I've wired my stereo, 40 inch light bar, and rock lights to my panel. I also plan to include a backup LED sometime soon.
The good thing is, I'm in no hurry! I also have a panel from @mystic1219 and that's going to be great working off of. This forum is great and it has given me a lot of ideas and changed my way of thinking a few times as well! I don't claim to be an expert, no ego issues here - just learning and having fun at the same time! That's what it's all about at this stage of the game...

Reactions: PioneerPete
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
The good thing is, I'm in no hurry! I also have a panel from @mystic1219 and that's going to be great working off of. This forum is great and it has given me a lot of ideas and changed my way of thinking a few times as well! I don't claim to be an expert, no ego issues here - just learning and having fun at the same time! That's what it's all about at this stage of the game...
Yes sir... It would've definitely been harder without all the knowledge in this forum. I actually enjoyed doing it honestly. I've always enjoyed thinking out a plan and then executing it. I'm almost dreading getting all my accessories finished up. I really have enjoyed the process and it gives me something to do rather than be in the house watching the sh*t on TV.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes sir... It would've definitely been harder without all the knowledge in this forum. I actually enjoyed doing it honestly. I've always enjoyed thinking out a plan and then executing it. I'm almost dreading getting all my accessories finished up. I really have enjoyed the process and it gives me something to do rather than be in the house watching the sh*t on TV.
I agree with you 100%... Way back "in the day" I was a mechanic for a living, first in the Navy on aircraft and then on semi trucks, trailers and drill rigs. But that was a longtime ago. I've worked on and customized a few motorcycles and have enjoyed that as well. Really just getting started with this Pioneer and don't intend to get to fancy, but want to have all of the basics covered and have a solid and dependable machine that won't let me down in the woods. Meeting people and developing friends in the "community" is the best part and if you so choose, that can go on and last for many years!

Reactions: LandPioneer
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't worry you won't be done for long... it never ends. That's what this forum does to ya.lol. if it wasn't for this place I would have a roof and windshield. My wife says I have a problem...

Whistled03

Whistled03

Oct 31, 2016
Canton, GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just mounted my front and back light bar on my 2017 700-4. Hopefully tomorrow I will get them wired up. That's going to be the hard part as I have been reading for a week now and am still uncertain best way to make this happen.

IMG 6971 IMG 6966

J

JTW

My advice is to buy a good set of strippers and buy a good set of crimpers depending on the connections you're using..

Skud7272

Skud7272

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2016
Cencal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
May be a dumb question but I'm completely new to wiring and just starting my diagram for my spread on my p1k. The guy who build and sold me the Pdm mentioned to just ground all my accessories to their respective mounting brackets on a portion of bare metal. Does that mean I only need a hot wire going to all the accessories and no negative(black) wire run back to the negative on the battery? Or is he referring to some accessories that have a dedicated ground? Take for example my sound bar and light bars. Do I only run the hot wire to the item and the rest to bare metal? Thanks for the help in advance. It would definitely save allot of wiring but I don't want to start and finish only to have nothing work and realize I have to snake 50% more wires in to get the job done.

Skud7272

Skud7272

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2016
Cencal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also anyone got a link or suggestion for a connection to make my 12 Rock light wires connect to one? I have 6 only either side of the rig so I need to find something that I could use to make a 12 to one connection or two 6 to one connections and then a 2 to one connection.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
May be a dumb question but I'm completely new to wiring and just starting my diagram for my spread on my p1k. The guy who build and sold me the Pdm mentioned to just ground all my accessories to their respective mounting brackets on a portion of bare metal. Does that mean I only need a hot wire going to all the accessories and no negative(black) wire run back to the negative on the battery? Or is he referring to some accessories that have a dedicated ground? Take for example my sound bar and light bars. Do I only run the hot wire to the item and the rest to bare metal? Thanks for the help in advance. It would definitely save allot of wiring but I don't want to start and finish only to have nothing work and realize I have to snake 50% more wires in to get the job done.
You need to order a fuse block. Amazon.com : Blue Sea Systems ST Blade Fuse Block - 12 Circuits with Negative Bus & Cover : Fuse Block With Relay : Sports & Outdoors
You'll be able to narrow problems down easier and everything will have a fuse.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!