Looking for a dirt bike

J

JTW

So I’m looking for a dirt bike to play with... looking for something used in decent shape. Anyone have anything? If I had my preference it will be a Honda crf230 or a Yamaha ttr230.

Any input between the two? Anybody have experience with either... I’m pretty clueless on the 2 wheels scene so any info is welcome!

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
I bought my son a crf several years ago and the thing was bullet proof.
I'm not sure how they are equipped now but I would check to see if they both have electric and kick start. Somethings telling me the Honda or Yamaha is only electric and a kick starts not available. Not sure which and I could be wrong. Hope this helps

J

JTW

I bought my son a crf several years ago and the thing was bullet proof.
I'm not sure how they are equipped now but I would check to see if they both have electric and kick start. Somethings telling me the Honda or Yamaha is only electric and a kick starts not available. Not sure which and I could be wrong. Hope this helps
I think the Yamaha is only electric.. I’d prefer it to have both but I don’t think that’s an option. Most of the crf’s im seeing are electric also.

Reactions: BWAF
J

JTW

You really can’t go wrong either way. What color do you prefer?
Thats kinda what my reading has surmised... do you like red or blue? I’m leaning blue just because I’ve found what looks like better cared for bikes in my area.

Reactions: Tflynn and BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thats kinda what my reading has surmised... do you like red or blue? I’m leaning blue just because I’ve found what looks like better cared for bikes in my area.
Both are probably the best entry level drift bikes you can get. I've got Dad's 76 XR 250 it's a good bike, but parts are getting harder to find.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Both are probably the best entry level drift bikes you can get. I've got Dad's 76 XR 250 it's a good bike, but parts are getting harder to find.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I’m looking for a dirt bike to play with... looking for something used in decent shape. Anyone have anything? If I had my preference it will be a Honda crf230 or a Yamaha ttr230.

Any input between the two? Anybody have experience with either... I’m pretty clueless on the 2 wheels scene so any info is welcome!
You will need fork springs and shock a spring with these two.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have had both bikes and both were good but I felt the honda was the better of the to.
without a doubt
@CumminsPusher posted a lot about the crf230 I rode a couple and just wasn't what I was looking for at the time.I bought a crf450 r and love it.But its too big for most riding and anything off the track we ride or when Im with the kids.I have since got ahold of a 230 with a clutch kit in it and I ride it a lot to just rip around.The thing is a blast and plenty off power.In tight woods you cant beat the thing.With set of aggressive mx tires its like a goat.

S

snakebitten

Jun 28, 2018
Coastal Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Really depends on how much you intend to ride and what level of adrenaline you are looking for.

I've ridden for 50+ years and there has never been a time like today for choices.

I've got a mess of bikes. They range the gamet. It'd be hard to recommend without more information.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Really depends on how much you intend to ride and what level of adrenaline you are looking for.

I've ridden for 50+ years and there has never been a time like today for choices.

I've got a mess of bikes. They range the gamet. It'd be hard to recommend without more information.

First bike... we’re really just playing. My buddy brought home a crf230 today.. we all rode tonight. I’ll buy a Honda or Yamaha 230. Whichever I find that suits me first.

S

snakebitten

Jun 28, 2018
Coastal Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Pros or cons between the Honda or Yamaha?
I have and have had many products of both manufacturers. They have one thing in common..... well thought out engineering. It's in their culture, in fact.

Having said that, they both can be a little too conservative too, in my opinion. But Yamaha often lets the reins out a little more. A bit more exciting. (true even in these sideXsides)

You can't really go wrong with either considering what you have stated so far.
You like red? Or blue? :)

By the way, in CONTRAST to these Honda and Yamaha is KTM. I have 3 of their machines and they are all about adrenaline.
Zero conservatism, but require more TLC.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Had dual sports to ride on roads to trails, Yamaha TW 200 in late 90s and 2014 Honda CRF 250 L. EFI now is nice. At the time, the Yamaha transmission not as smooth, but sure they improved. Liked the 6 speed transmission on Honda, but a bit too tall for height, but solid feel and many aftermarket accesories, seat, rack, skids, muffler and LED turn signal hand guards. Thinking it was de-tuned from motorcross version but still peppy for trails. Sold for 3900 and got P500.

9CA3EED6 D4AF 4C84 BEBA 6E3D88751DF8

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!