LV long term thoughts

R

Rocko340

Aug 18, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hate to ask but I'm in the market for a Talon X LV 2 seater. Been searching the last 2 evenings for anything concerning problems of any sort. I haven't found anything, which is good. I know it hasn't been out long but for the people that have LV what are your thoughts on them long term? My concern is adding another layer of complicated electronics, sensors and shock mechanisms adding to the potential for problems.

Reactions: TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I love tech when it works. But I don't think LV is ready for prime time and I doubt the shop techs are trained in how to fix the infinite number of possible problems. If they had been available when I bought my R, I'd have seriously considered the LV but if it had failed, I'd have been stuck with it in the shop while they tried to figure it out. For that reason, I'll be spending the money on getting my stock suspension reworked. That said, I think it will be awesome 'some day'.

Reactions: TerryH and Rocko340
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hate to ask but I'm in the market for a Talon X LV 2 seater. Been searching the last 2 evenings for anything concerning problems of any sort. I haven't found anything, which is good. I know it hasn't been out long but for the people that have LV what are your thoughts on them long term? My concern is adding another layer of complicated electronics, sensors and shock mechanisms adding to the potential for problems.
I’ve driven two non LV 2 seaters and was very disappointed in the suspension. I can’t speak to the 2 seater with LV, but the four seater is quite nice by comparison. I’ve had it for a year and just 650 miles, so can’t speak long term, but no issues so far....

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search.

Reactions: TerryH
Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
I only have about 100 miles on my 1000x-2 LV. No red lights so far. From what I’ve read the components are sorta copy/paste from the Polaris Dynamix, with some minor interface changes: Dynamix having a user interface display vs Honda using a light in the dash to show Normal or Sport mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: CID and Montecresto
H

HondaTech

I love tech when it works. But I don't think LV is ready for prime time and I doubt the shop techs are trained in how to fix the infinite number of possible problems. If they had been available when I bought my R, I'd have seriously considered the LV but if it had failed, I'd have been stuck with it in the shop while they tried to figure it out. For that reason, I'll be spending the money on getting my stock suspension reworked. That said, I think it will be awesome 'some day'.

Our main issue with diagnosing and repairing issues with the newest tech is Hondas complete lack of good information on how the system operates or what's considered "normal" in some cases.

Take the steering angle sensor issue I had awhile back.

So the original diagnosis was code 51 I believe which is CAN communication failure with that sensor. The testing procedure was to test continuity between the CAN high and low lines to the SCU. Then of that checks out then replace the sensor and recheck.

So we ordered a sensor and installed it and same code came back, couldn't be erased and swapping the new part to another unit yielded the same results. Swappijg SCUs did nothing as well. So we assumed we had a bad (new) part. We split the original customer sensor and found it full of water.

Fast forward to awhile later after ordering 4 of these sensors and getting the same results, we finally learned through our own testing that with a new sensor the Code will appear until the sensor is initialized to center and "paired" with the SCU. The sensor "fails" to communicate with the SCU because its never been initialized.

This is what I've been dealing with on several issues the last year, not just on the Talon but on the Goldwing as well. Japan won't tell us s*** and no one at American Honda puts their neck out to force them to.

But I've only had 1 LV with any problems, thr others have been flawless. But i can attest to the level of activity the others are enduring. The one we had issues with gets treated like a 2 seater.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Our main issue with diagnosing and repairing issues with the newest tech is Hondas complete lack of good information on how the system operates or what's considered "normal" in some cases.

Take the steering angle sensor issue I had awhile back.

So the original diagnosis was code 51 I believe which is CAN communication failure with that sensor. The testing procedure was to test continuity between the CAN high and low lines to the SCU. Then of that checks out then replace the sensor and recheck.

So we ordered a sensor and installed it and same code came back, couldn't be erased and swapping the new part to another unit yielded the same results. Swappijg SCUs did nothing as well. So we assumed we had a bad (new) part. We split the original customer sensor and found it full of water.

Fast forward to awhile later after ordering 4 of these sensors and getting the same results, we finally learned through our own testing that with a new sensor the Code will appear until the sensor is initialized to center and "paired" with the SCU. The sensor "fails" to communicate with the SCU because its never been initialized.

This is what I've been dealing with on several issues the last year, not just on the Talon but on the Goldwing as well. Japan won't tell us s*** and no one at American Honda puts their neck out to force them to.

But I've only had 1 LV with any problems, thr others have been flawless. But i can attest to the level of activity the others are enduring. The one we had issues with gets treated like a 2 seater.

Treated like a 2 seater. Hmmm
So they go easy on it??? 😬

4 seater is so smooth in the fast stuff.

R

Rocko340

Aug 18, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks for all the response. Interesting subject and very useful information.

D

DorkMissile

Jun 24, 2020
Twin Cities, MN
Ownership

1. Talon R
My 2021 LV 1000R has had the shock warning light on for 2 months. Haven't even takin it in yet as the dealer tells me there is no real information to diagnose it, and they are weeks out on service work.

A friend and I plan to charge the shocks (suspect that one has leaked causing the light) as when the shocks are warm, the light seems to go away.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!