Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Will consider. However we would be starting on Idaho side so we’d have to figure that out if we went. There are so many rides coming up need to get ass in gear and figure what exactly we can feasibly make
Gotcha. You could start a day or two before me and ride to Darby and we’d head to Elk City together, or you could meet me half way if you don’t have the time. Certainly we can make an accommodating arrangement for you if you have any time at all.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There are absolutely no services whatsoever along the corridor
That’s the point. Good planning is the ticket. And worst case scenario one could cache supplies near one of the many campgrounds along the trek.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'd also imagine most of the folks on here would rather start at the western edge being it's closer to them
I’m coming from Oklahoma!!!!! No ones traveling farther than me. ;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Gonna be hard on the trailer
No, I ordered it with a high clearance axle, it actually has more clearance than the Pioneer and I’ll have 10 ply tires on it.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What's the plan to stay up to date on weather while you're there?
Well, if you’re seriously considering this trek, I’d suggest that you start viewing the forums where people who have actually completed this trip have posted their experiences. Besides the couple living full time in the Hell’s Half Acre fire tower, the other fire towers are manned during the day. So along the route you will have access to people with knowledge. July, August and September are the peak months and traffic is heaviest. People have reported camp sites full (they usually only have 6-12 spaces) and comraderys are formed along the way and you’re likely to camp with strangers whom you then become acquainted with, if you’re traveling in opposite directions you share info about what you’ve just been through. Traveling in the same direction people have hooked up before. Some have reported forging long term friendships and getting together again on other adventures.

It’s unlikely that one finds themselves in dire straights alone. But not impossible. People have reported giving others fuel and supplies and receiving fuel and supplies from others.

Planning and sound prep is the key. But of course there’s always the potential for unexpected eventualities. That all adds up to part of the anticipation and lure of such a trek. That’s where mopar and I got on different pages. He believed that too much preparation spoiled the enjoyment of such an adventure, and I did (do) not.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What's the plan to stay up to date on weather while you're there? No cell service so you will need a sat phone or 2......2 is 1 and 1 is none. Sounds like a great trip you just dont want to be surprised by 10" of rain. Would a good CB radio get service for the weather station?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
There’s a guy named Timmer that has put together what’s called the “Montana 1000”. It’s a trek that starts at Elk City and ends near Lolo Pass, 1000 miles and includes the MC. I think it’s an anuall event. That is one I will likely join after I first get my feet wet on this venture.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Here’s just a tiny sampling of what people have posted of their experiences.

“There are many places you can camp along the Magruder trail. This trail is an 8 hour or more drive if you do the whole thing in one day. I'd definitely advise making this a camping trip. Be sure your vehicle has plenty of fuel, water, and food. The corridor is only open from July until the end of hunting season due to in-climate weather and impassibility during winter. Be watchful for other vehicles along the trail. We narrowly avoided two head on collisions on our way up hills because opposing traffic was traveling too fast around blind curves.”

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveM47
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Magruder itself is all pretty good road. Yes, definitely bring a saw.. you just never know. The side roads like Hells Half acre & Burnt knob are much slower going.
It is a ride where a spare tire is a really good idea.
My cousin and a buddy of ours went over to Darby, and half way back in one day on Trail 110’s.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The Magruder itself is all pretty good road. Yes, definitely bring a saw.. you just never know. The side roads like Hells Half acre & Burnt knob are much slower going.
It is a ride where a spare tire is a really good idea.
My cousin and a buddy of ours went over to Darby, and half way back in one day on Trail 110’s.
Check all that. It’s my intention to take three days each direction, two nights each way in campgrounds, opposing campgrounds each direction with a room, hot shower and a regular meal at the start, mid point and finish. I will likely take every opportunity of side roads. Even uncoupling the trailer, chaining it at the main road to venture down for exploration, a little fishing in places where the road is in proximity to the river, a stop for relaxation at the hot springs, a picnic with that couple that man the HHA fire tower, etc...

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, if you’re seriously considering this trek, I’d suggest that you start viewing the forums where people who have actually completed this trip have posted their experiences. Besides the couple living full time in the Hell’s Half Acre fire tower, the other fire towers are manned during the day. So along the route you will have access to people with knowledge. July, August and September are the peak months and traffic is heaviest. People have reported camp sites full (they usually only have 6-12 spaces) and comraderys are formed along the way and you’re likely to camp with strangers whom you then become acquainted with, if you’re traveling in opposite directions you share info about what you’ve just been through. Traveling in the same direction people have hooked up before. Some have reported forging long term friendships and getting together again on other adventures.

It’s unlikely that one finds themselves in dire straights alone. But not impossible. People have reported giving others fuel and supplies and receiving fuel and supplies from others.

Planning and sound prep is the key. But of course there’s always the potential for unexpected eventualities. That all adds up to part of the anticipation and lure of such a trek. That’s where mopar and I got on different pages. He believed that too much preparation spoiled the enjoyment of such an adventure, and I did (do) not.

I'm an eagle scout. I'm not driving 2000 miles across the country and into the wilderness with the expectation that someone else will be around if I get into trouble. When you have the ability to take a sat phone and reach immediate assistance I dont understand why a person wouldn't take one. Sure odds of needing it are slim but the risk is still there.

I backpacked new Mexico and found myself 6 inches from a diamond back rattlesnake that was on the move. Luckily he slithered on by, but we were 20 miles from any sort of help. We had no phone. You need treatment within 2 hours of a bite so I didn't have very good odds. We didn't have access to sat phones back then. I can't swear the sat phone really would've helped in that case but it's always good to have options. I know we can't plan for every possibility.

No doubt you'll meet some great people. The experiences and comradery will certainly be a highlight.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm an eagle scout. I'm not driving 2000 miles across the country and into the wilderness with the expectation that someone else will be around if I get into trouble. When you have the ability to take a sat phone and reach immediate assistance I dont understand why a person wouldn't take one. Sure odds of needing it are slim but the risk is still there.
If you plan on joining the trek and you have access to a sat phone, by all means bring it with you.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I backpacked new Mexico and found myself 6 inches from a diamond back rattlesnake that was on the move. Luckily he slithered on by, but we were 20 miles from any sort of help.
The FCW and the NPW are black bear, mountain lion and wolf areas to be sure. Rattle snakes are unlikely, but I suppose a potential risk. I’ve been reading the experiences of many a MC traveler to assist in my preparations.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
8C6DA118 8C96 4A32 8C2C 03AB5D2C908C
150F0C49 1CD3 4EAE AA9F 717E8FE860D6
780D5279 8D2C 4ECF 84CD E7442515AAD9

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I backpacked new Mexico and found myself 6 inches from a diamond back rattlesnake that was on the move. Luckily he slithered on by, but we were 20 miles from any sort of help. We had no phone. You need treatment within 2 hours of a bite so I didn't have very good odds. We didn't have access to sat phones back then. I can't swear the sat phone really would've helped in that case but it's always good to have options. I know we can't plan for every possibility.

No doubt you'll meet some great people. The experiences and comradery will certainly be a highlight.

Maybe I’m getting older and smarter or maybe I’m not wanting to keep playing the odds anymore but we’ve recently added sat phone, LifeFlight and good gps mapping for riding. Probably won’t need to use some of it but sure won’t regret it if family or friends run across some sort life threatening issue. Couldn’t live with loosing someone knowing there was another way.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There’s a guy named Timmer that has put together what’s called the “Montana 1000”. It’s a trek that starts at Elk City and ends near Lolo Pass, 1000 miles and includes the MC. I think it’s an anuall event. That is one I will likely join after I first get my feet wet on this venture.
That sounds like a damn good time!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!