P1000 Modifying OTRATTW Switches

MountainMan

MountainMan

Sep 1, 2014
Spokane Valley, Washington
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I thought others might be interested in how to modify an OTRATTW (Over-The-River-And-Thru-The-Woods) switch. I went through this exercise and decided to post my findings.

I purchased a P700-4 back in 2014. I made my own custom switch plate and used OTRATTW switches using green and red LEDs. I was very happy with this configuration and the brightness of these switches. In 2017, I purchased a P1000-5 and once again built a custom switch plate. This time I decided to change to blue and red LEDs. However, I was unhappy with these OTRATTW switches. The blue LEDs were noticeably brighter than the red LEDS. Also, these LEDs were not diffused as well as the switches I purchased in 2014, resulting in uneven lighting on the letters and pictures on the rocker. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures that show this issue. I am convinced that OTRATTW changed their LEDs. I decided to open-up the switches and modify them.

Due to the many pictures that were interleaved with text and my ignorance on how to post, I decided to attach a file that describes the process.

Attachments

• ModifyOTRATTW.pdf
    791 KB · Views: 351
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Very cool, I also dont think the LEDs were very well defused. This could be on my winter to do list! Thanks for the write up.

Reactions: Landman and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought others might be interested in how to modify an OTRATTW (Over-The-River-And-Thru-The-Woods) switch. I went through this exercise and decided to post my findings.

I purchased a P700-4 back in 2014. I made my own custom switch plate and used OTRATTW switches using green and red LEDs. I was very happy with this configuration and the brightness of these switches. In 2017, I purchased a P1000-5 and once again built a custom switch plate. This time I decided to change to blue and red LEDs. However, I was unhappy with these OTRATTW switches. The blue LEDs were noticeably brighter than the red LEDS. Also, these LEDs were not diffused as well as the switches I purchased in 2014, resulting in uneven lighting on the letters and pictures on the rocker. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures that show this issue. I am convinced that OTRATTW changed their LEDs. I decided to open-up the switches and modify them.

Due to the many pictures that were interleaved with text and my ignorance on how to post, I decided to attach a file that describes the process.

I originally bought the blue led switches from them but I could’ve used them for headlights on my 700. I think they also changed how they cut the rocker for diffusing in the back and their etching process because the switches I kept from my 700 and the new ones I’ve bought are about the same but the newer rockers aren’t as well lit no matter what switch I put them on.

After takeover I’m most definitely going to do this on a couple of switches to see if I have the same success with Red, that looks amazing compared to mine.

Reactions: Landman
Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I originally bought the blue led switches from them but I could’ve used them for headlights on my 700. I think they also changed how they cut the rocker for diffusing in the back and their etching process because the switches I kept from my 700 and the new ones I’ve bought are about the same but the newer rockers aren’t as well lit no matter what switch I put them on.

After takeover I’m most definitely going to do this on a couple of switches to see if I have the same success with Red, that looks amazing compared to mine.
Yeah, I'd like to try it on mine too, especially for the red leds. Having to do that to 9 switches will be a PITA though!!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I'd like to try it on mine too, especially for the red leds. Having to do that to 9 switches will be a PITA though!!

C090de76cf6bf3f730bab0119e7b2e75

9 you say?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And there’s two more to the left of the steering wheel.

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up buy mictuning switches. I hope they are good. got to rewire my audioformz roof so the switches light up and I can see them in the dark. @Landman what's the level gauge on your dash called I want to get me one. but I want to know aft and tilt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

advertisement
MountainMan

MountainMan

Sep 1, 2014
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
:D You'll be a pro at it - I'll just send my switches to you!

View attachment 71799

@Landman, would you mind posting a close-up picture of your switch panel? It looks like you are using the Contura XIV rockers and I have been considering replacing mine with that rocker style. I like the looks of them and I am wondering if less light will leak around the rockers and potentially eliminating the need to have the gasket. The downside to diffusing the LEDs is more light leakage. The gaskets work fine, but I like the idea of not needing them.

Last edited:
MountainMan

MountainMan

Sep 1, 2014
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Just a note about diffusing the LEDs. The more you sand the top, the more light diffusion which also reduces the light density because it is spreading the light out. I offset this effective light attenuation by reducing the series resistance. You don't want to remove too much of the LED crown because you will not be able to get the O-ring to fit. The purpose of the O-ring is to reduce water from getting inside of the switch body. This picture shows how much I removed, which was sufficient for my needs. Just play around with it until it meets your needs.

Upload 2018 4 12 19 53 46

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I ended up buy mictuning switches. I hope they are good. got to rewire my audioformz roof so the switches light up and I can see them in the dark. @Landman what's the level gauge on your dash called I want to get me one. but I want to know aft and tilt.

This is the second one I bought - I didn't research/pay attention to the size of the first one I ordered and it was too big. I have another one for pitch but I don't have a picture of it. I thought they might come in handy but I've yet to actually look at them while driving... too busy keeping my eyes on the trail. Its fun for scaring the wife though when it goes past 30*, lol!

@Landman, would you mind posting a close-up picture of your switch panel? It looks like you are using the Contura XIV rockers and I have been considering replacing mine with that rocker style. I like the looks of them and I am wondering if less light will leak around the rockers and potentially eliminating the need to have the gasket. The downside to diffusing the LEDs is more light leakage. The gaskets work fine, but I like the idea of not needing them.

Correct, they're Contura XIV. Unfortunately, I'm working in OKC currently and the pioneer is back in AR. These pics probably won't be close enough either but it's all I have on hand. First pic was back during the "test" phase... moved them around since then. Let me know if you could still use a close up in a few weeks and I'll PM you some pics.

Also, I forgot to change the wording on the dual battery rocker (original has 'dual on/emer on' for text) on my first order and I think I still have it laying around. If I can find it and you want it for testing/research, just pm me your address and I'll mail it to ya next time I get back home.

IMG 3716
IMG 4195 IMG 3821 IMG 3819

MountainMan

MountainMan

Sep 1, 2014
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
This is the second one I bought - I didn't research/pay attention to the size of the first one I ordered and it was too big. I have another one for pitch but I don't have a picture of it. I thought they might come in handy but I've yet to actually look at them while driving... too busy keeping my eyes on the trail. Its fun for scaring the wife though when it goes past 30*, lol!

Correct, they're Contura XIV. Unfortunately, I'm working in OKC currently and the pioneer is back in AR. These pics probably won't be close enough either but it's all I have on hand. First pic was back during the "test" phase... moved them around since then. Let me know if you could still use a close up in a few weeks and I'll PM you some pics.

Also, I forgot to change the wording on the dual battery rocker (original has 'dual on/emer on' for text) on my first order and I think I still have it laying around. If I can find it and you want it for testing/research, just pm me your address and I'll mail it to ya next time I get back home.

View attachment 71945
View attachment 71946 View attachment 71947 View attachment 71949

Thanks, that is a better picture. I would like to take you up on your offer. I will PM my address.

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thanks I bookmark that on Amazon. thays more what I want to get one for. more novelty than anything and to freak the wife out. lol.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Good Info on post 1.
Ordered some LED's and going to give this a try.
Seems the green switches from OTRATTW are now super dull.

Reactions: Mudwing
Sowie

Sowie

Dec 7, 2019
Bunnell, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 71945
View attachment 71946 View attachment 71947 View attachment 71949

It looks like you have a red overhead light giving off a cool glow onto your dash. How did you set that up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In that pic, I'd used 2 COB style LED strips. They were ran off a 12V dimmer switch. To make them red, I'd found some partially translucent red plastic sheets and cut it to fit in the aluminum casing that held the LED.

The first dimmer switch died, but the second one seems to be holding up ok. Also, the tiny, thin wire that the COB strips come wired with starting breaking so I trashed them and changed to an automotive tailgate light bar. A 48" fits perfect under the curved bottom part of the SATV flip up windshield. I cut off the trailer plug and wired the red/brake LED's into to the existing dimmer switch, while the white/reverse LED's were wired into the switch for my dome lights in the cab. It gives a bit more light in the floorboard for when my wife drops something at night... seemed to happen enough that it warranted the extra light, lol.

IMG 6585
IMG 6586

The only thing I miss about the COB style lights is that they could be dimmed more than this 4' LED strip. I only run it at the very minimum setting and it's not too bright, but I wouldn't mind if it was a bit dimmer. The below pic was at around 50-75% brightness... I couldn't get the phone to focus at the dimmest setting.

Reactions: JenElio
Sowie

Sowie

Dec 7, 2019
Bunnell, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a great idea. I think this may be next on the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!