• Start date
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Holy sh** that thing's expensive. Cool though.
Seems a little spendy, but I'm thinking I'll use it for a home projects where I need to long skidding some snag trees on a couple properties. In theory it should be faster to fall timber, skid whole log compared to packing it out block by block. Both properties have some site sensitivities (ones in a park, the other right next to a significant river with high fish values). Challenging to get even a mini excavator in due to a variety of regulations. Plus it'll be fun to play ground lead yarder dude. ;). Then another use I wanna try is to use it for skidding felled brush out of roadway ditches. A company I work with has a Bandit chipper (990), and to purchase the hydrostatic winch is upwards of $8,000 to purchase install, so I wanna try this as you can skid way farther and the line speed is faster too and to reset for next turn you just throw the line out or easily pull it as it's not on a drum. Hunting should be better too..... now I CAN look way down over the bank on the low side the road, hahahaa.

j

D

Deleted member 3748

Wondering if you added a plate/steel strap on the backside of the frame where Moose attaches thereby linking both frame sides together if that would increase strength too? Do you think there is room for that?
j

There's some stuff in the way but you could probably use smaller plate(s) to spread the load some.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I finally broke down and ordered the Moose Utility 2" receiver hitch to replace the 1.25" hitch. Well, it doesn't really replace it because the 1.25" hitch remains installed. I'll probably put a D-ring just in case I need to tow someone home.

This is what comes in the box. 2" receiver hitch, all necessary hardware and instructions.
View attachment 16307

No modifications need to be done to install the hitch. You use the lower A-arm bolts and the existing holes in the frame.
View attachment 16308

Jack up the rear of the Pioneer until the rear wheels are just off the ground. Remove the nuts from the lower A-arm bolts using a 14mm socket and wrench.
View attachment 16309

To remove the lower A-arm bolts, you need to relieve the pressure from the rear wheels. You can have someone help you with this or you can wedge a board under one tire and lift until you can easily slide the bolt out.
View attachment 16310

To avoid having to realign the A-arm after the bolt comes out, I slid another bolt in from the other side. Then I inserted the longer bolt that came with the kit, pushing out the temporary bolt.
View attachment 16311

Install the included spacers on the bottom.
View attachment 16312

The upper holes get the same spacer, plus an additional long spacer in the pocket of the frame.
View attachment 16313

Align the hitch if needed and tighten all of the bolts. The lower A-arm nuts use the same 14mm socket, however, the bolts have a 17mm head. The uppers use a 9/16" socket and wrench. Lower your Pioneer and you're done.

The new receiver hitch is almost as high as my F150 receiver hitch.
View attachment 16314
Nice!

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I finally broke down and ordered the Moose Utility 2" receiver hitch to replace the 1.25" hitch. Well, it doesn't really replace it because the 1.25" hitch remains installed. I'll probably put a D-ring just in case I need to tow someone home.

This is what comes in the box. 2" receiver hitch, all necessary hardware and instructions.
View attachment 16307

No modifications need to be done to install the hitch. You use the lower A-arm bolts and the existing holes in the frame.
View attachment 16308

Jack up the rear of the Pioneer until the rear wheels are just off the ground. Remove the nuts from the lower A-arm bolts using a 14mm socket and wrench.
View attachment 16309

To remove the lower A-arm bolts, you need to relieve the pressure from the rear wheels. You can have someone help you with this or you can wedge a board under one tire and lift until you can easily slide the bolt out.
View attachment 16310

To avoid having to realign the A-arm after the bolt comes out, I slid another bolt in from the other side. Then I inserted the longer bolt that came with the kit, pushing out the temporary bolt.
View attachment 16311

Install the included spacers on the bottom.
View attachment 16312

The upper holes get the same spacer, plus an additional long spacer in the pocket of the frame.
View attachment 16313

Align the hitch if needed and tighten all of the bolts. The lower A-arm nuts use the same 14mm socket, however, the bolts have a 17mm head. The uppers use a 9/16" socket and wrench. Lower your Pioneer and you're done.

The new receiver hitch is almost as high as my F150 receiver hitch.
View attachment 16314
Would you be confident to add a winch receiver with let's say a 3000 lbs winch to it?

D

Deleted member 3748

Would you be confident to add a winch receiver with let's say a 3000 lbs winch to it?
I've been moving my 3400 lb boat around the yard with it. Granted the tongue weight isn't that much but it sure squats the P5. So, to answer your question, yes it would hold the winch no problem. And I would be confident winching a heavy load with it. Maybe keep an eye on your a-arms if you're really buried.

D

Deleted member 3748

Hey, you're from Canada! Just like my boats. I have a 2000 Sea-Doo Sportster and a 2007 Sea-Doo Challenger which is the hefty boat I mentioned in my previous post. The Sportster doesn't weigh much at all.

DSCN7802

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I've been moving my 3400 lb boat around the yard with it. Granted the tongue weight isn't that much but it sure squats the P5. So, to answer your question, yes it would hold the winch no problem. And I would be confident winching a heavy load with it. Maybe keep an eye on your a-arms if you're really buried.
I almost didn't get out of a muddy snow filled hole this weekend. With the straps that I carry and winch cable I just an extra foot length to spare. A winch in the back would have been helpful since there was a tree 10 feet behind me. I'll be looking into that for sure!

Last edited:
Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
Hey, you're from Canada! Just like my boats. I have a 2000 Sea-Doo Sportster and a 2007 Sea-Doo Challenger which is the hefty boat I mentioned in my previous post. The Sportster doesn't weigh much at all.

View attachment 59370
BRP makes good toys for sure. Been looking at the Waverick Trail. A 50 inch with 75 HP! That is just mental!!!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
BRP makes good toys for sure. Been looking at the Waverick Trail. A 50 inch with 75 HP! That is just mental!!!

I watched a review video on youtube and that thing flies. 68-69 mph in a 50" machine is nuts. The amount of accessories available for it is crazy too. Would love to take one out for a spin.

D

Deleted member 3748

I was wondering why they didn't put the 101 hp 1000 in there. It's also heavier than the 60" Mav.

T

Twitch

May 6, 2016
In the backyard
Just installed mine. Took all of 10 mins, minus the 13° (it's a heat wave!) ride to the shop. Thanks for the write up.
I couldnt find a better price than from Dennis kirk. I remember them from when I was a kid and they sent out mail order catalogs and you sent checks to pay for your stuff. Back in my ATC days. May the Big Red rest in peace, wherever it may be now...
Now to round up the rest of the parts for my own version of the tilt and tote game loader. I have fought my last slick tailgate to load a deer by myself, not to mention messed my back up once, man handling a doe, that was heavier than she looked... Now with this hitch I'll make the hitch insert adjustable so it can be used on the buggy and on a pickup with the tailgate down.

RoadGator916

RoadGator916

Jan 23, 2019
MinneSNOWta
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Does anyone know if the 2015-2017 receiver will fit on the 2018 as well? Looking to buy but haven’t found for a 2018 specifically!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!