BOX1 - TEST

Music thread.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yeah I read there was a lot of time constraints on this album and it's still a masterpiece. One of the guitar Gods IMO.
No doubt, such a huge loss. Imagine the music that we have have been deprived of.

Reactions: trigger
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
What station(s) did you work for, and when? I've been in Oklahoma since 1967.

Steve
Hey Steve. It’s been a while, and I was under the influence of a lot of self prescribed medication :rolleyes:, but I think I can remember it all. Might be a little off on dates. I started out as a DJ when I was going to college in Stillwater from about 1966 – 1969. I worked for KVRO FM (rock & roll), and also worked for KSPI AM & FM (country & pop) in Stillwater.

After a couple of years in the army, In 972 I went to work for KOMA (top 40 rock) in Oklahoma City, in advertising sales, which paid a lot better than DJ. About 1975 I went to KOFM FM (album rock) as sales manager. Around 1977 I was sales manager at KXXY FM (album rock). Then about 1979 I went to KATT FM & AM (album rock) as general manager. I was at KATT when I when I brought in Less Nessman for a promotion. I think that was 1982.

Mike

Edit: Some of these radio stations have changed formats and even call letters since I was there. I think KATT is about the only one that is still the same.

Last edited:
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hey Steve. It’s been a while, and I was under the influence of a lot of self prescribed medication :rolleyes:, but I think I can remember it all. Might be a little off on dates. I started out as a DJ when I was going to college in Stillwater from about 1966 – 1969. I worked for KVRO FM (rock & roll), and also worked for KSPI AM & FM (country & pop) in Stillwater.

After a couple of years in the army, In 972 I went to work for KOMA (top 40 rock) in Oklahoma City, in advertising sales, which paid a lot better than DJ. About 1975 I went to KOFM FM (album rock) as sales manager. Around 1977 I was sales manager at KXXY FM (album rock). Then about 1979 I went to KATT FM & AM (album rock) as general manager. I was at KATT when I when I brought in Less Nessman for a promotion. I think that was 1982.

Mike

Edit: Some of these radio stations have changed formats and even call letters since I was there. I think KATT is about the only one that is still the same.

Mike:

You can't possibly know the influence KATT had on my musical journey in my young adult life. The independent, highly eclectic mix of music styles and genres that were reflected in The KATT's early years was just superb. KATT almost single handedly resurrected the Zoo Amphitheatre and brought numerous noteworthy performers to OKC (or "Zoom City" as the DJ's liked to refer to it). My young fiancé and I saw James Taylor and Randy Neumann there in one of the Amphitheater's early concerts. Other small venues like The Prairie Lady, on 39th Street Expressway, benefitted from KATT's influence as well. We saw Mac Mcanally there, Leo Kottke, as well as Michael Murphy. I loved listening to Jim "Jimbob" Stafford and Linda "Gabby" Goldfarb in the mornings, and David Bell (I think) in the evenings. From 1978 to 1981 I worked as a draftsman for an oil/gas valve manufacturer here in OKC (Demco). Their marketing person was a gal named Linda Markwell. Linda's husband was a bright, young graphic artist named Randy Markwell. I believe Randy did some work for KATT, perhaps on their annual calendars (which were extraordinary). Do I sound dazzled, sir? I absolutely was. KATT expanded my musical awareness and respect in a way that is undeniable. I'd have never known and loved many artists that I still cherish today if not for the independence that KATT's DJ's brought to the airwaves (Michael Franks is a great example). From Paul Simon to Led Zepplin to Steely Dan to Chuck Mangione, you guys had it all. I owe you and that crew a debt I can never repay.

BTW - I recall that Les Nessman promotion!

And, KOMA was no slouch either. Honestly, as a young boy growing up in west Texas and SE New Mexico, KOMA was THE station to listen to in the evenings and nighttime. I believe they cranked up their wattage and perhaps polarized their signal in such a fashion that it came in loud and clear in those southwestern regions at night. ALL the kids listened to KOMA. Little did I know then that my Methodist minister father would be moved to a new church in OKC in 1967, dragging a wife and four kids with him. I was thrilled then to be moving to the home of the mighty KOMA. I can still hear the jingle; "Yours truly, KOMA".

Thanks again, Mike. You really stirred some great memories for me. I'd love to have a cup of coffee with you sometime.

Steve

Last edited:
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Mike:

You can't possibly know the influence KATT had on my musical journey in my young adult life. The independent, highly eclectic mix of music styles and genres that were reflected in The KATT's early years was just superb. KATT almost single handedly resurrected the Zoo Amphitheatre and brought numerous noteworthy performers to OKC (or "Zoom City" as the DJ's liked to refer to it). My young fiancé and I saw James Taylor and Randy Neumann there in one of the Amphitheater's early concerts. Other small venues like The Prairie Lady, on 39th Street Expressway, benefitted from KATT's influence as well. We saw Mac Mcanally there, Leo Kottke, as well as Michael Murphy. I loved listening to Jim "Jimbob" Stafford and Linda "Gabby" Goldfarb in the mornings, and David Bell (I think) in the evenings. From 1978 to 1981 I worked as a draftsman for an oil/gas valve manufacturer here in OKC (Demco). Their marketing person was a gal named Linda Markwell. Linda's husband was a bright, young graphic artist named Randy Markwell. I believe Randy did some work for KATT, perhaps on their annual calendars (which were extraordinary). Do I sound dazzled, sir? I absolutely was. KATT expanded my musical awareness and respect in a way that is undeniable. I'd have never known and loved many artists that I still cherish today if not for the independence that KATT's DJ's brought to the airwaves (Michael Franks is a great example). From Paul Simon to Led Zepplin to Steely Dan to Chuck Mangione, you guys had it all. I owe you and that crew a debt I can never repay.

BTW - I recall that Les Nessman promotion!

And, KOMA was no slouch either. Honestly, as a young boy growing up in west Texas and SE New Mexico, KOMA was THE station to listen to in the evenings and nighttime. I believe they cranked up their wattage and perhaps polarized their signal in such a fashion that it came in loud and clear in those southwestern regions at night. ALL the kids listened to KOMA. Little did I know then that my Methodist minister father would be moved to a new church in OKC in 1967, dragging a wife and four kids with him. I was thrilled then to be moving to the home of the mighty KOMA. I can still hear the jingle; "Yours truly, KOMA".

Thanks again, Mike. You really stirred some great memories for me. I'd love to have a cup of coffee with you sometime.

Steve
Steve,
Thanks for all the nice things you had to say. I don't want to get this thread too far off topic. I will PM you and see if we can get together.
Mike

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Fj c4nsWIAMUBid

BOX2
box3 - TEST

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!